'Invasion' trailer

John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
The trailer for the Kidman/Craig movie The Invasionis finally here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfPBAcN1aCE

Looks like they've done a decent job of updating Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I'm sure I saw the current incarnation of Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) in there as well.

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Looks good, but, really, John, this ain't Bond news! Moving it off-topic.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    ;% Sorry.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I couldn't get the Columbia disaster out of mind after the opening scene. NASA's not going to be to happy about that.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Like darenhat, I did think "Are they using news footage of Columbia, surely not?!?!" but I'm sure it's all for the film. Still, eerily like it.

Anyway, can't say it grabbed me too much. The use of the Sigur Rós track #8 (aka Popplagið) did! :D
    unitedkingdom.png
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I will definetely go see this; I thought it was cool to add Veronica Cartwright to the cast as sort of an homage to the '78 version. ;)

I showed this to my son and he was wondering if Jeff Golblum's Belicek was going to be in it; I told him no so he's not interested. His favorite character from the old version... :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    I'll wait for this one to come to cable.I'm probably alone in thinking that The Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a superb motion picture that doesn't need to be remade.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    No, you're not alone, WG. This will be, I think, the fourth film version of Jack Finney's novel, and I'm not sure it needed to be told again. That said, if it's a good movie I guess I'll see it.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited June 2007
    With the exception of that droll 90s version, I really love the first two. The 1978 version to be the best to me at least with a great cast and some eerie but genius camera lighting. And not to forget...

"Cue the banjo music!"

invasion.jpg

:))

I'm giving this a shot if it isn't pummelled too badly by viewers & critics but I do sympathize with what W.G. says...

I was surprised to see them making another version of this. It doesn't seem so long ago since the Abel Ferrara film. But then again, that was 15 years ago. Ageing sucks. :D I'm willing to give it a shot. It's such a great story that I think it's always relevant and interesting.
  • kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    The trailer for the Kidman/Craig movie The Invasionis finally here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfPBAcN1aCE

Looks like they've done a decent job of updating Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I'm sure I saw the current incarnation of Felix Leiter (Jeffrey Wright) in there as well.

Is that at all related to the Invasion show that was on ABC? I did an interview with Ariel Gade of that show one time. Cutest Kid!!!

Kees
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Like darenhat, I did think "Are they using news footage of Columbia, surely not?!?!" but I'm sure it's all for the film. Still, eerily like it.

Anyway, can't say it grabbed me too much. The use of the Sigur Rós track #8 (aka Popplagið) did! :D

Certainly the most grabbing element of the trailer for me! Gotta' love a bit of Sigur Ros :D
    kees007 wrote:

Is that at all related to the Invasion show that was on ABC?

Kees

I'm not entirely sure Kees, but then I'm not that familiar with the TV show. It did air in the UK, but it was on at an awkward time for me. Sunday evenings I think. I don't remember any of the publicity ads mentioning the original novel though, so I suspect they only have a title in common.
    I like this poster for The invasion. Very chilling.

http://www.empireonline.com/gallery/image.asp?id=19140&caption=
    John Drake wrote:

Yes, it does make a creepy statement, J.D. Is that writing on a wall or in a mirror?

RogueAgent wrote:
    John Drake wrote:

Yes, it does make a creepy statement, J.D. Is that writing on a wall or in a mirror?

I thought it looked like it was scratched on to an icy window, or something similar.
    RottenTomatoes has begun to collect reviews for The Invasion and things aren't looking to good. 13% at the moment. :(

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/invasion/
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    Ouch. Must say this is the first time I've seen the trailer, and it doesn't look very interesting, so I'm not too surprised to see the reviews aren't good.

Odd trailer- you'd think that they'd try to promote Craig a bit more in it as he's fairly big news at the mo; he's practically got equal billing and his face is all nice and big on the poster.
    emtiem wrote:
    Odd trailer- you'd think that they'd try to promote Craig a bit more in it as he's fairly big news at the mo; he's practically got equal billing and his face is all nice and big on the poster.

I'm not sure how much screen time Craig has got. This film was started before he was named as the 6th 007, so perhaps the considerable re-shoots involved in this production were done to get more of him in there. Or maybe they were just trying to fix what looks to be a bit of a misfire.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    "Cue the banjo music!"

invasion.jpg

I nominate this fellow for the villian in Bond 22, Maybe he could live in an ice palace and try to ransom the world with a powerful laser? ;)
    7289 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    "Cue the banjo music!"

invasion.jpg

I nominate this fellow for the villian in Bond 22, Maybe he could live in an ice palace and try to ransom the world with a powerful laser? ;)

:)) This is my favorite part of that film. It used to be very disturbing though when I was younger.

Has anyone here seen the movie yet? Any good news to tell on it or can this be considered a bomb?

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    It earned only six million bucks in its first weekend. As far as the US box office is concerned, I think it's safe to call this one a flop. I was never a big fan of this story (never cared for any of the previous versions) and once those masters of literature - the Wachowski's - were brought in to "fix it up", I knew this one was doomed.
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Tony, I guess one could conclude that, with numbers like those, it is a flop...

...but I was compelled to see it last night anyway. Don't beat me up, guys. ;%

My son and I caught an evening show and we both liked it. I have read many reviews on this film from critics and the paying public alike and decided to base my own opinion. I realize that the Body Snatchers formula is pretty much a One Trick Pony so I went in with the attitude that I just flushed my money down the toilet and shouldn't worry over it...not exactly.

Firstly, despite what you may have heard in the media, Nicole Kidman's performance held this thing together since she's virtually in every scene I guess. The problem lies with the editing; I mean the characters weren't very fleshed out and it was pretty hard to base an opinion either way with anyone besides Kidman's part.

Daniel Craig was okay, a little wooden in scenes but that could be because, again, this was edited so poorly.

Jeremy Northam, the man I use to vie to be 007 one day, was even worse. He was an non-entity.

What made it enjoyable for us was the pacing; after a slow start, it doesn't let up with the action. We both thought that the climax was very cool (and apparently the audience did too) but that ending was kind of weak. This is not a horror film but more suspenseful and somehow it just worked for us. We like this sort of stuff anyhow...

The 1978 version will ALWAYS be my favorite of the lot followed by the original but this current re-imaging is way more entertaining than that 90s attempt.

This film is only for passing the time and IMO, was released at the wrong time of year. I gave it ** 1/2 stars and my son gave it about the same grade.

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    I was perusing some reviews for this movie on Rottentomatoes.com. Interestingly, even though it was pretty much unanimously panned, many reviewers went out of their way to praise Nicole Kidman's wardrobe selections, some even going so far as to comment on her choice of underwear. :o It might be worth a rental on that basis alone.

You know Rogue, I get the sense you liked it more than you're letting on, probably out of fear that you might get flamed. Am I right? Don't be shy now. :v
    TonyDP wrote:
    You know Rogue, I get the sense you liked it more than you're letting on, probably out of fear that you might get flamed. Am I right? Don't be shy now. :v

Oh I won't lie to you; I did like this film quite a bit. Not nearly as bad as the masses would have you to believe. I'm expecting to get flamed for even paying full price to see this one.
    I just wasn't going to let a critic make up my mind for me in this case and I have been waiting on this for months. I don't think that every film that comes out should be looked upon for not having Golden Globe potential. Sometimes all the viewer wants at the time is a cheap thrill... I got it.

My son whispered a thank you to me while watching Ms. Kidman disrobe to her bra & underoos....It was fun for me too. :D