Leiter in LTK

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
Although David Hederson is my favourite Felix Leiter, and his performance throughout LTK is mostly good, I do have one problem with it. And it's a big problem at that.

At the end of the film, when he is on the phone to Bond, Leiter seems just a TAD to happy for someone that's lost his wife, and lost his leg to a shark! Don't you think?
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Thats been comented upon many a times before. It's a minor point, yes, but he probably should have been sadder.

Of course it could be said that since his best friend had risked life and limb to avenge his dead friend that maybe that cheered him up.
  • Kirk James KirkKirk James Kirk Posts: 190MI6 Agent
    Maybe Leiter is all doped up on morphine.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Jarvio wrote:
    Although David Hederson is my favourite Felix Leiter, and his performance throughout LTK is mostly good, I do have one problem with it. And it's a big problem at that.

At the end of the film, when he is on the phone to Bond, Leiter seems just a TAD to happy for someone that's lost his wife, and lost his leg to a shark! Don't you think?
    There are alot of things about LTK which puzzle me. That is among the least of them. :)) Seriously, I don't know. I think that the film actually forgot that it was about Bond's getting revenge for what happened to Felix, so they inserted Felix at the end to remind the viewer.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    It's similar to a funny scene at the end of The Naked Gun when OJ Simpson turns up in a wheelchair all happy and laughing.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I think I can recall reading that the final Felix scene was filmed out of sequence, without David Hedison knowing what had previously happened to his character and his wife. Perhaps one of our behind-the-scenes afficionados (Garvin, et al) can expand on that, because I probably have it half-correct at best.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    Thats been comented upon many a times before. It's a minor point, yes, but he probably should have been sadder.

Of course it could be said that since his best friend had risked life and limb to avenge his dead friend that maybe that cheered him up.
    And his job
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I think I can recall reading that the final Felix scene was filmed out of sequence, without David Hedison knowing what had previously happened to his character and his wife. Perhaps one of our behind-the-scenes afficionados (Garvin, et al) can expand on that, because I probably have it half-correct at best.

I've never heard that, and to be honest, it seems unlikely. Della is killed, and Felix is put out of action, very early in the film; I think it's just a case of mishandling from the producers. I also think it's partly Hedison's fault - the man is just so chirpy and twinkly ;)
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Leiter's unaffected happiness at the end of LTK has always bothered me: IMO, it comes off as jarringly incongruous---one of many imbalances which unfortunately characterized the Dalton Era.

I think Eon was steadfast in their insistence on providing a 'happy' ending (at that point still possibly wary about an OHMSS-style backlash against a more 'tragic,' or at least subdued, ending).

Thus, despite the rough time Leiter suffers in this picture (shark attack, dismemberment, the rape and murder of his new bride), he seems stupidly happy just before the credits roll.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir_Miles_MesservySir_Miles_Messervy MI6 CLASSIFIEDPosts: 113MI6 Agent
    Perhaps Felix is a glass half full sort of guy. Instead of, "My wife is dead and a shark got to my leg," maybe he's thinking, "I'm single again and they are making great improvements in artificial limbs these days!"

Oh, if only we all could have the zest for life of old Felix Leiter.

Anyhow...I agree with the morphene theory. :D