Strange day, yesterday

Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
edited July 2007 in Off Topic Chat
I was sitting in Costa Coffee in the Breahead Shopping Centre in Renfrew, just outside Glasgow, with my best mate talking about the attempted nail bomb attacks in London. We were saying how it was similar to the stories of the terrorists jailed for planning to blow up a nightclub in London, and a large shopping complex in Kent. I mentioned how we were sitting chilling in a potential huge target, and my mate - who's originally from west London - replied light heartedly not to be so "f***ing ridiculous", we were in Scotland, and most people forget it exists never mind target it. There had never been a terror attack, of any kind, in Scotland.

Was about that time, 20 past 3, that I got a call from my brother, who's a pilot with a charter airline. Actually interrupting that very conversation. He said that they'd just landed and were taxiing to the terminal at Glasgow International (also in Renfrew, about a mile and a half away from where we were) and did I know anything about this "incident" that was taking place. He said they were told not to disembark, and that smoke was billowing from the front of the building.

Knew nothing, obviously, and said everyone will just be paranoid given the failed attempts on London. Finished our coffee, then joined the hour long traffic queue on the M8 motorway past the airport, by this time swarming in police and with flames leaping from the front of the building.

Earlier in the morning, I was cursing Glasgow Airport as I was dropping my parents off for their holiday flight, and I'd forgotten you couldn't get to the front of the building as it was controlled and pioritised for buses and taxis; you were forced to use the outer lane for drop offs. Well, someone found a novel way to get through that.

I know there are people on here in London and New York; places were these things happen on a huge scale and, in the case of London, become a way of life. But when it reaches the sleepy outskirts and you're not watching it on the news, but watching it unfold with your own eyes, it's all very surreal indeed...
unitedkingdom.png

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    It was bizarre seeing this kind of event occur in Scotland. I went to work in the evening and told a Glaswegian friend, who had not seen the news, what had happened. He thought I was taking the p***. At least nobody was hurt. Well, except for one of the terrorists, but then he doesn't count. I don't know if you saw any of the interviews on the news, but there was one eyewitness describing the moment when he realised that it wasn't a car crash. This guy saw the burning terrorist and asked an official if they should help him. To which the official replied, and harsh as it sounds this made me laugh out loud, "Let the f***** burn."
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    The terrorist actions of the last couple days should serve as a reminder that a segment of the Muslim society is at war with our way of life. They don't believe in freedom and they want to turn society's clock back about a thousand years. I always thought it would only be a matter of time before car bombs and suicide bombers turned up at our front doors and it looks like that day has arrived. This radical portion of the Muslim religion, which is otherwise a peaceful religion, must be dealt with firmly (nice as I can say it).

Being in the States I always think we will be the top target because I figure we are the most hated. However, it is clear that in the last couple years the UK is the target. I don't live there so I won't guess why, but perhaps some of the members from that side of the pond can speculate why.

I believe the terrorists will ultimimately be defeated because their cause is a hateful one, and I believe the vast majority of civilization is caring and loving. Be safe.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    I went to work in the evening and told a Glaswegian friend, who had not seen the news, what had happened. He thought I was taking the p***.
    Much the same reaction here. I live about ten to fifteen minutes from the airport (sometimes longer depending on traffic) and it was very surreal to see this sort of thing happening so close. At least no one was hurt and the emergency services appear to have acted with the utmost professionalism, and it is rather reassuring to see that people are determined to go about their lives with stoicism and minimal interruption. Obviously there are limits to this, one should not put oneself in danger vigilance is an absolute necessity, but it is good that there is a determination to get the airport back up and running with the minimum fuss.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited July 2007
    I followed these events closely as they unfolded, and my thoughts are with you guys. I'm glad these particular terrorists of the past couple of days, in London and Glasgow, weren't all that effective.

Hats off to all local intelligence, law enforcement and first responders; true professionals all {[]

Free people everywhere, sadly, must be on guard. I'm glad my Scottish friends are well; please do take care.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Moonie, I'm glad that you, your brother, your parents and, for that matter, everyone in Glasgow is safe. Whether it is luck or incredible investigations that have kept these actions from coming to fruition, I can only hope they continue to fail.

Sadly, as Barry says, the London and Glasgow incidents are reminders that these are very dangerous times. Right now no one knows if these incidents are the work of Al Qaida or another group trying to give Mr. Brown a grim welcome to the position of P.M., or if they are the handiwork of those protesting the knighthood of Salman Rushdie. Whichever, the message is clear: we detest you and we will make you live in fear until you change your ways or are destroyed, whichever comes first.

Be safe everybody.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    One of my sons (not Son Of Barbel, his elder brother) works at Glasgow Airport. Fortunately yesterday was a day off for him, although there were some worried moments until I found this out.

My wife was working at the Southern General Hospital yesterday, which is very close to the airport. News reports had one of the men involved being taken to hospital because of serious burns. Later this hospital was evacuated owing to a bomb scare- again I was concerned until finding out that the man had been taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

As M5 says above, we've always felt out of the way here in Scotland and to have these events unfolding locally was a surreal experience.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Well, it's only been two days, and already you'd think things like this happen every day here. Astounding, really, that the surprise gives way to "oh well".

Driving past the airport was dead boring this morning. Other than the main car park being shut and the front of the terminal scorched, everything was normal.

One of the lads at work lives in Houston, and he's not best pleased the world's media has descended on his little village. As Barbel will know, Bridge of Weir, Kilmacolm, Houston, Quarriers Village...terrorists just "lower the tone." He reacted this morning like he'd woken up to underage youths drinking on the street corner :))

Who'd have thought that Paisley would add international terrorism to the long list of reasons not to visit? :))
    unitedkingdom.png
    Bridge of Weir, Kilmacolm, Houston, Quarriers Village...terrorists just "lower the tone."

Who'd have thought that Paisley would add international terrorism to the long list of reasons not to visit? :))

My very stomping ground- my current avatar photo was taken in a pub in Paisley, and we played a gig in Houston only last month (and have more planned).

Very true about those places you mention!
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Well, it's only been two days, and already you'd think things like this happen every day here. Astounding, really, that the surprise gives way to "oh well".
    It is indeed astounding, and heartening, to see everyone just going about their ordinary business as if this happened all the time. I saw some incredible photos of one of the men being hosed down by an off-duty policeman; quite a media age we live in.

I thought it might be appropriate to highlight the words of the Scottish spokesman for the Muslim Association of Britain: "This is definitely a new phase in the terror attacks on the UK. Using a car seems to be a more rudimentary weapon capable of killing and maiming people indiscriminately. I applaud the members of the public who ehlped catch these guys, I would have loved to have been there myself to have a go at them. I was at the airport with my two young relatives only hours earlier. These terrorists do not care who they kill. As a community, not only are we just as likely to be victims as anyone else, but we are also looked to in order to provide direction and in some respects take responsibility for this. We are sick of being defined as a community by terrorism and having to answer for it. No cause, and certainly no Muslim cause, is advanced by these senseless attacks—quite the opposite".

The Muslim Association of Britain is not an organisation I always agree with by any means, however I feel these sentiments are understandable and worth echoing.
    edited July 2007
    The jokes have started... Driver's name was Sinjma Geep...it's the start of Ramavan...two men were arrested at Glasgow Airport for smoking in a public building... It doesn't take long. ;)

Update: BAA's answer to Jack Bauer. "When the camera cut back to the studio, you could see them blinking and wondering just what language it was they had just heard." I have to admit, we fell about laughing in the pub when this guy came on BBC - they had to pick one, didn't they? :))
    unitedkingdom.png
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Get this guy a job on the BBC. He can present Reporting Scotland instead of Jackie Bird. :)) Or as a roving reporter. And now over to John Smeaton at the scene of the disaster. "Well as you can see Jackie, it's all gone a bit mental here." :D

Here’s another link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OuGD0vpW5Y

I loved the quote, “anybody who’s ever thrown a can of deodorant on a bonfire.” And the female security guard who waded in was of course called Mary. Guan yersel Mary doll. :))

There was another guy interviewed by phone who was just as funny. I’m trawling through the footage on Youtube trying to find him. He said something like, “It aw kicked awf.” Then he told the presenter. “We wuz goan on holiday.” Pause. “To Colombia.” :)) You could hear people in the studio laughing.
    I think my son knows him... He's on holiday right now, I'll ask him when he returns.
    edited July 2007
    :)) :)) :))

Now I've seen it all! Nevermind another controlled explosion in Paisley or that the RAH is a hotbed of Islamic fundamentalism, but John Smeaton has made the headlines!

Baggage handler becomes web hero

Who would have thought the BBC would quote "Here's to his heroism, his straightforward belief in right and wrong, his support for law and order, and his willingness to give a good kicking to someone richly deserving it" :))
    unitedkingdom.png