Any Queen Fans?

Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
I don't know about all of you, but I've been completely in love with the music of Queen since I was a 13. In other words, I'm a HUGE fan! To me, no other band had what Queen had, and I'm not even sure what it was, but it was something ver unique and special in their music. I love the piercing but wimsical sound of Brian May's guitar, Roger Taylor's energy and rage on the drums, John Deacon's inspired base lines, and, of course, the magical voice of the one and only Freddie Mercury. Freddie's voice has to be one of the greatest of the 20th century. The man was a true poet, his songs filled with so much thought and passion. For whatever reason, this band inspires me like no other band does.

Anyway, enough of my aimless ramblings. Any other Queen fans, please share your thoughts...

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I am a HUGE Queen fan. I absolutely adore them. They are my all-time favourite muscial artist bar none. :D I've loved them ever since a Music teacher at school introduced me to them. Previously I had heard several of their songs (We Will Rock You, Bohemian Rhapsody and We Are The Champions among others) but I wasn't fully aware that they were by this one legendary group called Queen. I also hadn't heard Queen's less known (but still equally brilliant) songs such as Killer Queen and Bicycle Race.

A truly magnificent group. :D I will state this for the record; IMO Mercury was the single greatest Rock vocalist of all time. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Never really cared for them. But I do like some of their songs, such as 'Under Pressure', 'Radio Gaga', and 'Hammer To Fall'.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I've always loved Queen and I have alot of their albums as dinosaur-ish as that sounds and CDs but I was against their comeback tour that they threw with that "other guy" at vocals. I don't recall,neither do I wish to figure out what his name was... He wasn't Freddie Mercury and that was excuse enough for me.

It's like Van Halen without David Lee Roth - not the same. 8-)

IMO, Queen should have shut down after the man died in '91.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    IMO, Queen should have shut down after the man died in '91.
    I didn't go to any of Queen's shows with Paul Rogers. My biggest musical regret is that I never saw Queen live (I was born in 1982 and they stopped touring in 1986) but with the late, great Freddie Mercury no longer with us, and Deacon in retirement, I have no desire to see the 'new' Queen in concert. 8-) I did see the 'We Will Rock You' musical; the one great thing about it was the music.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited July 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    I have no desire to see the 'new' Queen in concert.

Full agreement.
    Mercury, IMO, was at least 75% of what made Queen work. Brian May's a great guitarist but c'mon...he wasn't the brick that kept it together. Freddie was. Besides, the man was an art student...I can't go against that. :D

edited July 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Full agreement.
    Mercury, IMO, was at least 75% of what made Queen work. Brian May's a great guitarist but c'mon...he wasn't the brick that kept it together. Freddie was.
    Oh, absolutely. Although regardless of how important Mercury was, he was important enough that the group should have called it a day. Led Zeppelin called it a day after Bonham died and he was arguably far less important to Zeppelin than Mercury was to Queen.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Any Queen fans? But, of course. Mercury and May rank with the greats.
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I will state this for the record; IMO Mercury was the single greatest Rock vocalist of all time. {[]
    I comletely and utterly agree!

Anyone whose interested in watching one of the greatest concerts of all time, check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdGcX-s99Rg
    (Make sure to watch the whole thing, not just Part 1 linked above. Its definately worth your time!)
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Mercury is amazing, so is Queen. I agree that Mercury is the best rock vocalist ever, after all, he was an Opera fan. And I also agree that Mercury is what made Queen.
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    I love Queen. I have nearly every album in my car. Roger Taylor is my favorite of the band. Followed by Freddie Mercury, Brian May, and last, but certainly not least is John Deacon.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Queen is one of the truly great bands to emerge from the Seventies. I own every single album they ever released---some on classic vinyl, the remainder on CD---and I heartily agree that Freddie Mercury was one of the great voices in the history of Rock and Roll.

"Get your party gown, get your pigtail down, get your heart beatin' baby...

"Got my timin' right, got my act all tight, it's gonna be tonight, my little schoolbabe..."

B-)

Freddie will never die in my music collection...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    Queen is one of the truly great bands to emerge from the Seventies. I own every single album they ever released---some on classic vinyl, the remainder on CD...

Same here, plus I had the experience of seeing them live in the seventies (1975 or 76, at the legendary Glasgow Apollo)- they were unbelievably good. Brian May is a a guitar god.

My friend and bandmate Nick recently bought a banjo and we're now including the Hayseed Dixie version of "Fat-Bottomed Girls" in our set- to hilarious effect!
    Barbel wrote:
    ...I had the experience of seeing them live in the seventies (1975 or 76, at the legendary Glasgow Apollo)- they were unbelievably good. Brian May is a a guitar god.

You have no idea how much I envy you!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Notch me up as a Queen fan too.

I just about have all their stuff and it never dates. Nearly every song is a classic. I really don't think there will ever be a showman like Mercury again.

A friend of mine went to see the 'new' Queen and said it was a huge mistake. Rogers, apparently, just didn't cut it.

Queen could have done a fantastic Bond theme - but the guys from Flash got them first :D
    Lady Rose wrote:

A friend of mine went to see the 'new' Queen and said it was a huge mistake. Rogers, apparently, just didn't cut it.

Ahhh, just as I thought. Some experiments should never take place...

edited July 2007
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    I had the experience of seeing them live in the seventies (1975 or 76, at the legendary Glasgow Apollo)- they were unbelievably good. Brian May is a a guitar god.
    I second that! :D I would give anything to have been born 20 years earlier so I could have heard Queen live in the 70's. (Damn my birthdate. X-( :)))
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I can certainly imagine. I don't understand why people would go see the 'new' Queen; but then I never understood why so many people love cover bands. ;) (I'm not saying that the 'new' Queen is a cover band but it has only 50% of the members of the original setup.)
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Queen could have done a fantastic Bond theme - but the guys from Flash got them first :D

The thought of Queen doing a Bond theme has never crossed my mind before, but now that I think of it, it sounds like it would have been a fantastic idea!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    Andy A 007 wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    ...I had the experience of seeing them live in the seventies (1975 or 76, at the legendary Glasgow Apollo)- they were unbelievably good. Brian May is a a guitar god.

I think it must have been 76, because I seem to remember them doing songs from A Day At The Races. One of my brothers is a huge Queen fan, right down to collecting the solo stuff, but me being older I got into Queen earlier and had their first three albums (on vinyl, natch- this was the early 70s). He offered me his guitar for them- he'd got it for Christmas but never took to it, and I accepted the offer on the understanding I could still play the albums whenever I wanted. This wasn't a problem, of course, and so my first guitar was a classical one.

Later I began buying Queen on CD, and now have all their albums. Yes, and the one with Paul Rodgers too- there'll never be another Freddie but Rodgers does okay with about half of the songs. It's understandable that Brian & Roger want to keep their group going, although I think it would have more credibility if they've stuck to doing the singing themselves- I like Roger's version of "Radio Ga-Ga" for instance.