U2 anyone?

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
Inspired by the Queen topic, I figured I would post this topic.

U2 are my all time favourite band. They always have been, and nobody seems to come close.

My favourite songs of theirs include New Year's Day, The Unforgettable Fire, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Walk On, and Miracle Drug. There's loads more, but just thought I'd mention a few.

Many people I know despise U2 for various reasons, some in particular annoyed with Bono's involvement with being an activist. This frustrates me, because U2 are such a great band who make great music. And people shouldn't put them down just because the lead singer is trying to do the world some good.

What does everyone else think to this ledgendary Irish rock band?

PS - They REALLY should do a Bond theme!
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

PS - They REALLY should do a Bond theme!

You do know two members of U2 wrote the song Goldeneye, right?

But I do enjoy U2s music alot. I don't own all of their CDs but have all the concert DVDs. I've seen them live once to. It was a decent show. I'm not sure what else to say. I actually haven't listened to them in a while. Time to set the iPod to U2.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I don't love U2. I don't consider Bono to be such a great vcoalist. That said I do think that Beautiful Day is a terrific song. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:

Yeah I knew that. But first of all, it was only 2 members, therefore technically half of U2, and secondly U2 didn't perform the song. I think it would be amazing if U2 wrote AND performed a Bond song. Think they could pull it off really well.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

Yeah I knew that. But first of all, it was only 2 members, therefore technically half of U2, and secondly U2 didn't perform the song. I think it would be amazing if U2 wrote AND performed a Bond song. Think they could pull it off really well.

I'm sure it'll happen one day. I think it would be cool also to have U2 perform a Bond theme.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I've never got U2 or understood the God like status Bono enjoys these days. I think the time I enjoyed them most was when they appeared in The Simpsons.

Having said, that I do think Gloria and Sunday Bloody Sunday are terrific songs.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Eh? Gloria is Van Morrison, remade by Patti Smith, surely.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Eh? Gloria is Van Morrison, remade by Patti Smith, surely.

U2 also have a song called Gloria. Same title, different song.

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    U2 is a work of genius. I can't see why anyone wouldn't particularly care about them on a whole. From Bono's songwriting to The Edge's guitar licks, this band is awesome. My favorite U2 song although it never even became a Top 40 hit but it's beautiful.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wTCCmmJMYFk

Besides, The Edge did the theme for THE BATMAN Saturday morning cartoon. :D
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    My favorite U2 song although it never even became a Top 40 hit but it's beautiful.

Excellent song, excellent video.

Are you from the UK? If so, that song WAS a hit, it got to about number 6

Jarvio wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    My favorite U2 song although it never even became a Top 40 hit but it's beautiful.

Excellent song, excellent video.

Are you from the UK? If so, that song WAS a hit, it got to about number 6

No, Jarvio, I'm American and it didn't take off here although I bought the album. Only song that had any movement over here was PRIDE on that particular lp...

I blasted this TUF religiously in my car back then. It is a beautiful track.

I see. I have no idea why it wouldn't take off in the US, it's such a fantastic track.

Definitely one of my favourites, along with New Year's Day. In my opinion, both of those songs sound like they could pass as Bond themes.

Jarvio wrote:
    I see. I have no idea why it wouldn't take off in the US, it's such a fantastic track.

Definitely one of my favourites, along with New Year's Day. In my opinion, both of those songs sound like they could pass as Bond themes.

U2, back during my teen years, was a slowly growing fad amongst most of us in America. I mean there were many circles who loved their sound here in the States but they weren't commercial yet as opposed to the UK then I imagine.

When The Joshua Tree hit stands here 20 years ago, that was all she wrote. They've been big ever since. B-)

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited July 2007
    I've been a fan since they showed up in the early Eighties on MTV. My brother and I saw them in concert at Soldier Field up in Chicago during their 'Pop' tour a few years back; they put on a great live show.

I've got most of their stuff. The song 'Vertigo' absolutely rocks; can't be played loudly enough B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Personally, I am more particular to U2's more mellow, love songs. "With or Without You," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "Where the Streets Have No Name" are beautiful songs. I am shocked that I am the first person to mention these. :o

Perhaps I'm just the first guy comfortable enough to showcase his sensitive side. :))
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I really liked "Rattle and Hum"---the movie and the CD---the gospel choir version of "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is fabulous. Perhaps my favourite of their mellow songs is "Van Diemen's Land," sung by The Edge...

Then again, I love it when they "steal back" Helter Skelter from Charles Manson :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited July 2007
    I also love With Or Without You and Where The Streets Have No Name. Good mellow songs.

I forgot a mellow U2 song that I love however - 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own'. What a fabuulous song.

Another nice mellow U2 song is Who's gonna ride your wild horses, if that counts as mellow. (The single version was more mellow than the album version).

I've only ever seen U2 once. I'm dying to see them again. I saw them a few years back in Manchester, as part of their Vertigo tour. Great show. But I was on seats in the arena, would have much prefered to stand in the crowd. Maybe someday.

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    U2? Yes, me too! :D

I'm a huge fan. Saw them live in '87 and '05, both awesome shows. My ranking of their albums (not counting greatest hits collections and the B-sides compilation):

1) The Joshua Tree -- Absolutely brilliant. One of the top 10 rock albums of all time IMO.

2) October -- Not terribly well-known, but their most spiritual album.

3) All That You Can't Leave Behind -- I had given them up for dead...big mistake.

4) War -- All that anger and passion, wow! This is what got them onto college radio in the States.

5) How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb -- The first time I heard "Vertigo" brought exactly the same reaction as the first time I heard "Desire"...Holy Sh*t!!

6) Achtung Baby -- "One" may be the most beautiful song in the history of rock.

7) The Unforgettable Fire -- Some amazing songs, but also some filler. A real transitional album for them.

8) Rattle and Hum -- Again, some real gems in here, but the "kitchen sink" approach undoes them a bit.

9) Boy -- Excellent start!

10) Zooropa -- Not really my bag.

11) Pop -- Definitely not my bag.

As for their songs, everybody knows the popular ones, but here are some favorites of mine that don't get mentioned too often:

"I Fall Down"
    "Rejoice"
    "Red Light"
    "The Unforgettable Fire" (great call, Rogue!)
    "In God's Country"
    "Running To Stand Still"
    "Angel Of Harlem"
    "In A Little While"
    "Kite"
    "All Because Of You"

Bottom line, these four Irishmen have contributed greatly to my enjoyment of music for over a quarter century. {[]
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Nice list. 'Kite' is a truly beautiful song.

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I was and remain indifferent to most of U2's 80's output, finding it overblown and bombastic. However I love Achtung Baby, one of my all-time favourite albums and am quite fond of the follow-up Zooropa.