Favourite Roger Moore film?

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
edited July 2007 in The James Bond Films
I started one on Connery, so I may aswell start one on Moore.

Roger Moore is, for me, my favourite. I believe that Connery is the best, but Moore is my favourite (if that makes sense, lol).

I like Moore best because I just love his films. 5 of his films are in my top 5 Bond films altogether. I guess it's personal preference.

Here is how I rank the Moore films:

1 AVTAK - A truly underrated gem. The dialogue, Stacey Sutton, and Roger's age are the least to worry about. When you have a great film, these (IMO small) problems do not ruin the film. Things that make AVTAK so great IMO are the villains - Max Zorin, a truly menacing and psychotic man, and Mayday, a ruthless and truly frightening woman. Also, the locations - Paris, a silver mine, and the golden gate bridge IMO were wonderful and memorable. The action - The fight on the GG is spectacular, and c'mon guys, we must admit, one of the most memorable fights in Bond ever. The scene were Zorin shoots Howe, then starts the fire is awesome. The fire engine chase is excellent. The cop also made me laugh. And the action in the mine was genius. I admit, most of the good action didn't really kick off until the second half, but still, made up for it so much. Score is also wonderful. Can anyone honestly say that they weren't entertained by AVTAK?

2 LALD - Nostalgic reasons help LALD be so high on my list. It was the single first ever Bond flick I saw. I loved it straight away, and it was the one that got me into Bond. I love LALD so much that it is nearly above AVTAK. I just love the flow of LALD - it's wonderful. The PTS is a unique one. We don't see Bond - but we don't always have to. The 'funeral' was wonderful. Baron Samedi is one of my favourite characters ever. He's just so damn cool. Roger Moore portrays Bond excellently to say it's his first. Solitaire is an excellent Bond girl. Action is brilliant. One of the most memorable and entertaining parts of the film for me was when Samedi came out of the ground and Bond shot at him. Then the real Samedi comes up, and starts laughing. Thrilling and funny at the same time. Ingenius. Kananga is decent, as is Tee Hee. The best version of Leiter (IMO) features, and his performance is great. Sherrif JW Pepper (who I used to hate) is hillarious and very enjoyable. Overall, a solid Bond entry, and a wonderful intro for old Rodge.

3 - Octopussy - This one has a very strong story. Complex in places, but pieces together excellently when you find out what exactly is going on. Kamal Khan is a wonderful villain. He has charm. I find him to be similar to Bond in terms of personality, and Jordan and Moore have wonderful chemistry I thought. Orlov was slightly dissapointing. I found him unconvincing. But having said that, he was ok, just could have been better. The action sequences were great once again. Particulaly the climax on the plane, featuring Gobinda and Khan's death. I loved the suspsense also. I know it was a campy film, but some things brought a real seriousness to the film, such as Bond's genuine stress for detatching the bomb, and hostility towards anyone that got in his way. Bond seemed genuinely worried, and I liked this, as it indicated a real threat. When Bond is vulnerable, it gives me a thrill and puts things on edge.

4 - FYEO - How can I rank this so low? It's a masterpiece! But then again, so are the other 3 that come above it! This is so hard... FYEO is a gem of a film. The story is really down to earth, and a lot more realistic than most. Kristatos I thought was such a good villain. He didn't seem over the top. He didn't seem THAT much of a threat. But he was realistic, sinister, intelligent, and sly. I like those qualities in a Bond villain. Columbo is the best ally we have seen since Kerim Bay and Draco. He is really helpful to Bond, knows what he's doing, brave, intelligent, and cool. Melina is a great Bond girl. She has guts, courage, great looks, great character, and is acted well. The hints of comedy work well I think, such as the Parrot thanking the PM. The locations were stunning. I loved northern Italy. The skiing scenes, IMO, were very reminiscent of OHMSS. The score was wonderful also. The only thing about FYEO that I don't like is Bibi... damn, how annoying is she?

5 - TMWTGG - This is an underrated film. Ok, I admit, the plot is weak. Very weak infact. It doesn't seem to go anywhere. The whole solex thing is uninspired. But apart from that, there are some elements that make golden gun a great and enjoyable Bond film. Scaramanga is one of the best villains ever. The build up to him, before he meets Bond, was very well done I thought. Nick Nack was entertaining to say the least. The locations were enjoyable. The action was mediocre. There was an excellent stunt, completely ruined by the addition of a slide whistle. Sherrif JW Pepper is so funny. I used to hate him, but now I think he's great. I prefered him in LALD, but he was still hillarious in golden gun. Mary Goodnight was a poor, underdeveloped Bond girl. But can't win 'em all, still a good film.

6 TSWLM - Shock shock horror horror! Why do I rank it so low does everyone think? The truth is, I love TSWLM. But it's just that I love other Bond films even more. Simple as that. TSWLM has some great elements. The PTS is amongst the best in the series. XXX, as I said in another topic, totally lacked emotion for me, which made her not as good as everyone makes out IMO. General Gogol's introduction was great. Karl Stromberg is a below-average Bond villain. Don't get me wrong, he's ok. And I love how he kills his female assistant, then kills the two men in the helicopter afterwards. Pure genius. But overall, Stromberg just lacks something. Maybe it's because he sits on his arse on that chair most of the time? lol. The plot was stupid I thought. People slate MR's plot, but if you think about it, TSWLM's plot is just the same, but underwater rather than space. Jaws was good in this I thought. But as far as I'm concerned regarding Jaws, less is more. The locations were superb. Egypt particulaly. I loved everything in the Egypt scenes. Felt inspired and refreshing. As does the film in general. A great film.

7 - MR - Ahh, finally, MR. By far the worst Moore film. And almost the worst in the entire series. For me, all it beats is DAD and TB - reasons for beating those are a different story altogether. Moonraker's plot is ridiculous. It's too sci-fi. James Bond and space do not go together, simple as. However, MR still has some good points. Drax is a very convincing villain, and one of the most evil ones I've ever seen, I have to say. Holly Goodhead is a good Bond girl I thought. Useful to Bond, and sexy. The locations were ok. The action was cool. The Bond/Chang fight was maginficent. The cable car fight was magnificant. And Bond spinning around in that shuttle-device-thing or whatever you want to call it, was just brilliant, and my personal favourite part of the film. But alas, the PTS was downright STUPID. First of all, man falling out of a plane with no parachute and not seeming the slightest bit worried bothers me. I know he's Bond. But c'mon, he's still human. Even Bond should be scared at that. Also, Jaws surviving that was just ridiculous. But then again, Jaws, in this film at least, was ridiculous altogether. The love scenes were grotesque. That love themetune made matters worse. Why did he have to fall in love? Why? It was stupid, and one of the biggest mistakes in Bond history. Overall, a good film that's ruined by certain things. As a film it's good. As a Bond film it's poor.

So, how does everyone else rank the Moore films?
And please, let's not turn this into a slate Moore, or slate AVTAK topic.
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    1) MR
    2) OP
    3) TSWLM
    4) TMWTGG

5) LALD
    6) FYEO
    7) AVTAK
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited July 2007
    The Wild Geese :v

IMO, Moore's greatest performance. If he'd done Bond like this, I'd have been a fan ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    "ffolks"

If he'd done Bond like that, I would have been a fan (maybe).
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I love Roger Moore and he was actually the first Bond that I ever experienced. Although I now prefer Connery and Moore, Moore will forever be extremely special to me and is by far IMO the greatest light-haired Bond of all time. (I couldn't resist. :)))

1)TSWLM
    2)FYEO
    3)LALD
    4)OP

5)MR
    6)TMWTGG

7)AVTAK

The first four films are IMO all masterpieces, with TSWLM being IMO the fifth greatest Bond film of all time and the greatest ever non-Connery Bond. It also remains IMO the last absolute masterpiece (a masterpiece which IMO does not have any noticeable flaws.)

The next two films have some great elements but are ultimately let down by either the tone and screenplay or the second half. Nonetheless I don't mind MR and TMWTGG and I don't think either film deserves the condemnation that they seem to get on a regular basis.

The final film (AVTAK) is IMO the worst Bond film of all time and, other than a scene involving Mayday, there is nothing about it which I like. AVTAK also heralded what was for me the dark age of Bond which did not end until the release of GE.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    TSWLM: the best Moore film, no question, imho. Overtly-silly humour is almost entirely absent (save the campy 'Nobody Does It Better' reprise near the end), and Moore is excellent. I'll go so far to say that this is the only one of these 'Blockbuster Bonds' (similar ones are YOLT, Moonraker, DAD) that I love unresevedly.

Octopussy- hugely entertaining. I don't think this is as silly as some make out, either- can't believe people think the scene where Bond breaks into the circus dressed as a clown is a comedy scene! That, and the lengthy action scene on the train, is amongst the best in the series.

FYEO- Moore is great, and the more grounded style is welcome after the excess of Moonraker. It isn't perfect but has a lot of genuine suspense.

LALD- one of the sillier entries into the series, but IMHO, it is the best of those (the others being DAF and TMWTTGG). There are more lines here which make me laugh than in any other Bond film.

AVTAK- hardly the best of the series (there is a certain tiredness, Roger is too old, plus I tend to feel Stacey Sutton is a poor character) but not, imho, the worst either. There are some fine performances.

MR- I don't find this as bad as I used to; it is certainly visually impressive. However, I cannot find myself praising the film too much because of the sheer amount of ghastly comedy scenes.

TMWTTGG- IMHO, the poorest Bond film. Roger, Christopher Lee and maybe Maud Adams aside, there is little of merit here, imho.
  • mhousty007mhousty007 IrelandPosts: 18MI6 Agent
    1. Octopussy. Funny, exciting and Rog in a clown suit. What more could you want!?

2. FYEO. The film that proves Rog could play it straight too ie. the scene when he boots Locque over the cliff, and the mountaineering at the end.

3. TSWLM. Great spectacle, and one of my favourites, but the two above just sneak ahead.

4. Moonraker. I love it up until the space scenes at the end. But darn it, they are fun too in a camp, ridiculous kinda way!

5. Live and Let Die. Wow, Solitaire! What more can you say? Plus JW is great fun.

6. AVTAK. Max Zorin rocks, he is my favourite Bond villain. I remember being genuinely horrified as a child during the mine scenes when he massacres his own workers!

7.TMWTGG. One of my least favourite Bonds, but I still like it, mainly because of Scaramanga.
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    TSWLM
    OP
    FYEO
    AVTAK
    MR
    TMWTGG
    LALD
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    1. For Your Eyes Only

Been my favourite 007 flick for 26 years. I saw it on release in '81 and fell in love with it. I love the way the Greek locations compliment the luxurious music, I love the way it is a cold war thriller which has real tension, I love the way the girl, Melina Havelock, has a real purpose and is played with real class by Carole Bouquet. A gem.

2. Octopussy

Ten years ago OP used to get bashed royally. Now it has been reappraised and found to be a minor classic. A real tough storyline which needs concentration and it was disturbing at the time with the Cold War games going on and Reagan muttering about confining a nuclear war to Europe. It could have happened. Plus India, Maud Adams, Louis Jordan, train fights and tiger hunts. What more do you need?

3. The Spy Who Loved Me

Imagine been a kid in 1977 and the whole of the supertanker set being blown up on a 60ft screen. It is just awesome. Real cause and effect plotting. There is reason from one scene to the next. And the action is spectacular and Egypt is just mesmerising. Plus Barbara Bach being Russian and exotic. Wonderful

4. Live and Let Die

First one I saw with Golden Gun. There is a feel to this film. An ethereal supernatural quality that somehow evokes a horror film. No one is quite who they seem and death seems to follow every scene. There are some real classc moments usually involving crocodiles or speedboats. A good one to get your non Bond friends started on.

5 The Man With The Golden Gun

To me its sheer exoticism wins me over.When I saw this I had to visit Thailand. I wanted to go to Scaramangas island and see the mushroom shaped rock. There is a gentle Far Eastern feel to this one helped by John Barrys moody music. And Chris Lee? Oh well, Chris Lee is an absolute pleaseure here.

6. Moonraker

I cant find it in my heart to damn Moonraker. Its like a big friendly dog wagging its tail and wanting to be loved. Bloated, stodgy with terrible humour you cant but love it due to the production design, locations and a team that were at the top of their game. Also, started on my lifelong love of Rio de Janeiro.Been there four times!!

7. A View to a Kill

I had no idea this one was so despised. Its a good functional Bond flick. It ticks all the right boxes and I enjoyed it no en din 1985. Good villains, good action, good music. I just cant damn it.

To be told I uncondtionally love all the bonds from 1962-1989. I would take the weakest Rog film over the best Pierce film any day...
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent

IMO, Moore's greatest performance. If he'd done Bond like this, I'd have been a fan ;)

Come on Loeffs you can pick one Moore film can't you?

For me I would say TSWLM, I also like TMWTGG. My least favority Moore film is probably OP or MR. Have to watch LALD, it has been a long time since I saw that.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters

Come on Loeffs you can pick one Moore film can't you?

:v

Oh, all right...with Moore, younger is definitely better...My favourite Moore Bonds are LALD, TSWLM and TMWTGG.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    TSWLM is tops for me as well as far as the Roger Moore movies go. It has, IMHO, the best mix of girls, gadgets, locations, and the world-threatening plot that I enjoy. It also helps that Moore plays it relatively straight (by his standards) and even has a few moments of ruthlessness.

As to the order of the rest, every Bond movie has plenty of entertainment value to it but this is my order of preference these days:

OP: It's such a big film with, again, lots of spectacle and eye candy. Moore is a bit long in the tooth in this one but he still has enough presence to pull it off.

LALD: The plot may be below Bond's standards but it has great pace, lots of laughs, very good stunt work, a physically imposing villain, and Jane Seymour.

MR: Another Bond spectacle diminished by an over-reliance on slapstick. A good editor could really work wonders with this one by just snipping a few seconds off the ends of some scenes.

TMWTGG: A missed opportunity and Christopher Lee is largely wasted. Still, it has great locations, a couple of lovely Bond girls and one of the most memorable stunts put to film.

FYEO: I never cared much for this movie. While I thought the plot was fine, Carole Bouquet never did it for me and I never caught any chemistry between her and Moore. The subplot with Bibi is positively juvenile and Kristatos is positively unimposing and never has any presence. I'll also never get over Bond turning his back on Kristatos and almost getting killed for it. The best thing about the movie was probably Topol's Colombo.

AVTAK: This one brings up the rear for me. For my money, Moore was simply too old to be taken seriously by this point (and the cuts to his stunt double had become painfully obvious), John Barry phoned in the musical score, and Tanya Roberts (whom I actually like) is wasted and reduced to hysterical screaming most of the time. Fiona Fullerton and Patrick Macnee are welcome additions and the France locations are nice to look at.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Ok, so, during the course of the last few months I've rewatched all the Bond movies up to TLD. For the most part nothing much changed, however it's only this week that I got around to watching FYEO, OP and AVTAK. Here are some (revised) thoughts.

FYEO - I was struck by how much I didn't enjoy this. As I've said before I never really took Moore seriously as Bond qua Bond-- to me he just didn't have the rugged toughness and sex appeal of a Connery, Lazenby or Craig. His appeal to me was largely through his personality and humour-- something almost entirely absent from this movie. There were parts I enjoyed (Columbo, Locque's demise, the retrieval of the ATAC) , to be sure, but on a whole I found this a lot blander than I remember it. One thing was that I really noticed the absence of John Barry here-- more so than I did when I was younger. The opening tune was sufficient-- but Barry's best work was often within the movie itself and I didn't find much to (personally) enjoy here. Also, Rog should have nailed Bibi-- I bet Connery or Lazenby would have ;p.

OP - Octopussy is a great Bond flick. Watching it I was struck by how much seems to have been put into making it-- perhaps the filmmakers were motivated by the production of NSNA to put everything they had into this. One gets the impression that this film was meant to be Moore's "OHMSS", as in this more than any other Moore film (ie., with his relationship with Octopussy) we witness a look into the actual character of Bond. That said, one persistent problem I have with most of Moore's Bonds is a lack of sexual chemistry between him and his female leads. I just don't buy, for the most part, that the women would really be into sleeping with him, but I suppose that's a minor quibble in the grand scheme of things.

AVTAK - Here's the shocker of the day-- I actually enjoyed this film immensely. I watched these three films in sequence, so naturally this was the one I came to last. I popped it into my player last night thinking "oh boy, I wonder if I'll be able to make it through this" and strangely enough I was riveted throughout most of it. Here were some of my favorite things about the movie: 1) Christopher Walken-- Zorin was a fantastic villain; totally out of his mind and engaging, 2) I thought the horse race scene was interesting-- I especially enjoyed when M told Bond that he had to "get some proper clothes", 3) this movie had a lot of...I don't know...heart. For some reason I found myself more emotionally involved with the events in this movie than with any other Bond save OHMSS and CR, which brings me to: 4) Barry's awesome score. Easily the best title track of all the Bond movies-- and unlike the previous effort one that translated very well to the action scenes. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can score a Bond film like John Barry. I should also point out here that I actually really enjoyed the oft-loathed "California Girls" snippet during the (awesome) pre-title sequence. In MR it would have been nauseous, but here it just...worked somehow. 5) I found Mayday to be an effective character-- the perfect villainess for an 80s Bond movie-- and one who I ended up feeling a great deal of sympathy for. Anyway, yeah-- as of today this movie will move up a few notches in my list, but not before I point out a few negatives:

1) Grandpa Bond. This has been covered lots, so I won't go into too much detail, but we all know that Moore was simply too old to be Bond anymore (that scene where Mayday opens her room and sees naked Roger Moore in her bed was laughable). That said, it was one of his most sincere performances-- one that I enjoyed more than FYEO. If Dalton or someone had played Bond in this it might have easily been the best Bond of the 70s-90s.

2) Stacey Sutton: Smokin hot, but sort of an annoying character-- she screamed "James!" a little too much.
  • wakwak007wakwak007 Apopka, Fl.Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    Jarvio another good topic. Moore is my favorite Bond I think because he was the first Bond I saw. This is how i would rank them:

1)TSWLM- Not only was this the first Bond film I saw, but it my favorite because it has the right balance of humor and action. In fact, it had all elements and in the right proportions to be considered a classic Bond film.

2) OP- I think it had a very good story, great chemistry between the character's and as someone mentioned earlier, it was very timely during the Reagan/Thatcher administrations. I will admit, I watched it recently and found that though Moore pulled it off quite well even for his age; his hair was distracting in many scenes because it seemed plastered down.

3)FYEO- If asked a few months ago, I would have placed this lower in the list, mainly because the music seemed so dated however I don't know when they re-released the UE of this DVD the music seemed not so overtly prominent thus I didn't notice how cheesy 80's it sounded or maybe the picture was so dramtically cleaner that i didn't even notice the music.

4)TMWTGG- Despite the weak Goodnight character and the return of the Sheriff Pepper, I think this is a very good movie. I liked the music, Lee was an admirable villian, so was the Nick Nack character. I know poeople have indicated the story was weak, I didn't think it was bad, particularly since their was an energy crisis going on and I just love the line when Bond was talking to M and said "Who would want me dead?" and M replied "Humiliated tailors, (Something Chefs,) jealous husbands, the list is endless."
    5) Is a tie between MR and LALD- I truly like all the Bonds films and these two have some great points and about the same weak points. Watching these as an adult I think MR really is a good film for the first hour and a 1/2 (until Jaws goes over the waterfall), though the one liners were good, some of the dialogue was cheesy, particularly between Dr. Goodhead and Bond. I also think the interaction between Bond and Jaws as well as Jaws and his love interest was hokey, however how they handled Jaws switching sides was good; I also am probably one of the very few who didn't mind that Bond actually went up in space (I guess becuase the special efects were so good and the fact that Bond didn't navigate the Moonraker that Goodhead was the pilot and had some NASA training so it was a little more realistic. I'll admit being 12 at the time it came out makes it a somewhat guilty pleasure for me in terms of story. Moore was truly good as Bond.
    LALD- I liked the characters and I found (like MR) many scenes really worked well and had good dialogue was tight. However the manner in which Mr. Big/Kanaga dies was very cheesy ( Though I liked the character and the actor) and Sheriff Pepper was really not needed. He isn't as awful as in TMWTGG. His character seemed appropriate for the time and the part of the US the scene took place in.
    7) AVTAK- Though this film is last on the list, I certainly found things I liked in it. In recently viewing this, Moore performance was good and believeable aside from the little too noticable between the stunt person and Moore. Such as when he was attemptring to catch May Day at the Effel Tower, Moore acted age appropriate and seemed naturally winded as well as I liked when he got mad at himself for getting caught up in the fishing line during the chase. This all seemed to me, age appropriate for a person about ready to retire. The villain was good and the character of Stacy was tolerable. My main problem with the film was it seemed rather slow and I thought Bond's escape,using a surfboard and Beach Boy music was really awful as well as the scene in which Bond meets Stacy during the horse auction/party the dialogue is terrible. Again I cerntaily found things I enjoyed about the film and still am happy to have it in my collection.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I love how Dan is now almost proud of the Mayday scene. ;) One day he'll see the light though, like Lazenby has. :D

Anyway, my favorite Moore films are as follows...

AVTAK - I love this film! Truly inspired all the way throughout with an energetic PTS, riveting title song, beautiful locales in France and the Ascot Track, a realistic and beautiful Bond girl, a psychotic and menacing villain and henchwoman, Jenny Flex, Macnee's chemistry with Roger, the powerful yet realisitic mine HQ, the City Hall scene, the firetruck chase, John Barry's score and the exciting, edgy Golden Gate Bridge Fight make for one fantastic Bond outing! I'll also echo everything Lazenby said earlier, save the negatives. What an interesting take on AVTAK!

FYEO - Like AVTAK, one of Moore's "darker" films, starting with the casting of the Tracy-esque Melina, a very tragic character, the FRWL-ish plot, the ruthless Kristatos who wasn't maniachal like Blofeld but was still a great villain due to the fact he wasn't as crazy. He was a sly, charming and cunning individual who had Bond wrapped around his fingers. Locque was an effective and creepy henchman. The locations in FYEO were also rather beautiful and Bond went EVERYWHERE in that movie from Spain to Italy to Greece, all beautiful Mediterranean locations. Many scenes and even Bill Conti's score hearkened back to OHMSS. A good mixture of the Moore era's tongue-and-cheekness combined with the classic spy-thrillers of old to make a great movie!

TSWLM - Moore in one of his best Bond performances. Barbara Bach and his competing with each other in the first half of the film was very entertaining. Stromberg was a good villain but nothing outstanding, the real villains who shined were Jaws and Naomi. Jaws was more serious in this outing and threatening while Naomi literally shined... such lovely lines... Bond 77 is also a catchy tune for the action scenes. The final showdown is great as well, and Atlantis is a menacing villain HQ!

OP - A convoluted plot but great villains in the Afghan playboy Kamal Khan who in many ways would be like how I'd picture Bond if he was a villain since he was one of the smart, sly and charming villains and we had the psychotic, megalomaniac General Orlov who teamed up with Kamal and Octopussy to do... something. Gobinda's basically an Oddjob/Jaws ripoff, nothing special there, but the knife throwers are interesting. Maud Adams and Roger play well off each other due to their ages and Kristina Wayborn WOW :x!

LALD - The blaxploitation really dates the film a lot but Martin's score is quite good, Roger looks great in this film and is a bit more ruthless here than in other outings. Solitaire is a solid Bond girl and Kananga is definitely a villain that you actually hate during the movie. Also the array of henchmen/women were quite interesting from the sexy yet bumbling Rosie Carver to the voodoo priest Baron Samedi. It's a fun outing overall and David Hedison is a great Felix through and through. The crocodile scene with Roger is almost iconic now too!

MR - One of those films I used to dislike but it grew on me. It and LALD are pretty much tied but LALD edges it out a bit more because MR could get TOO outlandish sometimes. Holly's a great Bond girl, being fiercly independent and downright dismissive of Bond and his methods til the end of the Venice sequence. Drax is a great villain because he almost never loses his cool (ie never raises his voice) until he gets to the space station, a true sociopath. Beautiful locations and a gem of a score by John Barry. The downsides is making a cartoon out of Jaws. :( Space is pretty well done in my opinion actually.

TMWTGG - An awful movie and a boring mess. Nothing about it stands out, the only things close being Moore and Lee's performance, and the short appearance of Maud Adams and the guy who guest starred on Fawlty Towers. Otherwise the movie's a joke. The title song is awful as well, and Barry's score is OK with some highlights like the Dixieland rendition and "In Search For Scaramanga's Island". Other than that, bleh! Still it's not totally unwatchable.

And those are my opinions, take 'em or leave 'em. :D
    I love how Dan is now almost proud of the Mayday scene. ;)
    I am. I think it's a great scene. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    The Spy Who Loved Me was Rog's best Bond film. It never fails to entertain me or cheer me up. His best non-Bond film was The Man Who Haunted Himself which is like an extended Twilight Zone episode with a funky seventies backdrop and music score. He's really good in it.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    His best non-Bond film was The Man Who Haunted Himself which is like an extended Twilight Zone episode with a funky seventies backdrop and music score. He's really good in it.

That's a fantastic movie. I remember being really surprised at Moore's performance. It's the only time I can remember, that Moore has moved beyond his suave screen persona and really been tested acting-wise.

It's odd, but there was a period when I couldn't stand Moore's Bond. Now the older I get the more I appreciate him. I do think he went on too long and should have been replaced before OP or AVTAK, but I am now far fonder of the films he made as Bond than the Connery ones. LALD and TMWTGG are not perfect, but they borrow so heavily from 1970's genre cinema, Blaxploitation, Kung-Fu, that I find them quite entertaining. TSWLM is easily his best, and IMO one of the finest Bond performances by an actor in the role. MR is slackly paced, but has a stunning Bond girl in Lois Chiles and a wonderful score. FYEO is a favourite, but there's a part of me that would have liked to have seen another actor in the role at this point.
  • starman007starman007 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    1. TSWLM
    2. TMWGG
    3. LALD
    4. FYEO
    5. AVTAK
    6. MR
    7. OCTUPUSSY
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    Ordinarily, I
    Can't be bothered
    To put films in
    Order, and
    Perhaps this is
    Understandable- but
    Sometimes I just feel
    Silly, I hope
    You don't mind.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    ^Subtle, Barbel, but you are right. {[] :))

1. OP
    2. TSWLM
    3. FYEO
    4. MR
    5. LALD
    6. TMWTGG
    7. AVTAK
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
    edited July 2007
    To say that any Moore films is best is indeed a
    Hard task since
    Every one has its own charms (even AVTAK. :o)

Some people will tell you that the Moore films were not all that
    Positive however these people really make me
    Yawn. :p

When asked about Moore, one must be
    Honest and say that of all the Bonds he was the
    Only one who was both a wonderful Bond and a lovely man.

Love is a word I feel when asked about the Moore films however I admitt that
    Objectivity is hardly my strong suit, my being a
    Very massive Bond fan and all, however
    Every time I watch a Moore film I am filled with nothing but
    Delight. {[]

Maybe I can pick one Moore film above all and is at this moment that I call for an
    End to this poem. :D
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Watched MR after a few glasses of wine last night. Hmmm... Moore does seem very smarmy and smug throughout. It's meant to be my second fave film and it looks great for sure. But I can see why many see it as an aberration and the DAD of its day.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Georgi KoskovGeorgi Koskov Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    Octopussy
    For Your Eyes Only
    Live And let Die
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    A View To A Kill (Moore is too old to play)
    Moonraker (the worst movie ever after Bond went in outer space)
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    I have to give TSWLM the nod as Moore's best film. Some of the other later ones are okay but I just can't get past how wrinkly Moore's Bond is in OP and VTAK.

I do want to add this though. I really don't know why FYEO is ranked so low by some. In my opinion, the more I read the literary Bond, the more I think Moore's portrayal of Bond is close to Flemings in that specific movie.

Not a lot of wild gadgets in that movie. Moore's scene when he kicks the Dove in his car over the cliff was classic -and spot on for something the literary Bond would do if a man he had befriended was killed by someone.

Okay, I could have done without the hockey player scene, but the scene where Bond and Melina (one of the more beautiful Bond girls too) get dragged through the water more than makes up for it. If they stuck this scene in LALD like it should have been and ended that movie like the book ended...it would have possibly been one of the best Bond movies of all time.

The PTS wasn't great but a lot of Moore's PTS weren't the greatest, except TSWLM.

I'm not saying FYEO it the greatest, but I think it's way better than a lot of people think.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I'm of the minority who doesn't think that TSWLM was all that great with Moore at the helm. It's a good Bond picture with pretty cool action scenes but not my favorite from him and I've tried to see what others have seen in it believe me.

I felt that Moore truly shined in FYEO & Octopussy alot better because both films have better pacing to me. The rest of his Bond romp was just good filler until a new 007 could be crowned. The 70s were just an odd time to really embrace James Bond on the big screen after seeing the Connery version on Sunday Night Movies; it was like taking a couple steps back...

I have excluded AVTAK from my Moore films because it was just outright lame. How can a Bond flick have such an awesome title song (which I play all of the time) only to saddle such drivel as that storyline and a Wilford Brimley-esque superspy creaking about? ?:)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    My favourite Moore film is The Spy Who Loved Me. This was the film that got me hooked on Bond in the first place. I think it's a wonderful film. :D There isn't much about it that I don't like. After that would probably come Octopussy (my partner's favourite Moore film) and Live and Let Die. I'm not a huge fan of the other four Moore films, although they do have their moments. ;)
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    1. TSWLM- Great film.
    2. FYEO
    3. OP
    4. LALD
    5. MR
    7. AVTAK
    6. TMWTGG- Scaramanga is the only good thing in this movie.
  • dougie007dougie007 FalkirkPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    Spy is Roger's best by a mile. One of the best of the series.

It was huge in scale and budget compared to previous entries.

Carly Simon's theme tune was great. Roger really looked the part - one of only three Bond's to be be seen in Commander Bond naval uniform. He seemed to have grown into the role and was starting to enjoy himself.

Barbara Bach - phew!!!

Jaws - best Bond villan

I could go on and on - but I have a five month old daughter to feed!

{[]
    A genuine Felix Leiter - illuminating

Live & Let Die - 1973
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    Here's my ranking and where each film comes on my list:

1) TSWLM (#1)
    2) MR (#4)
    3) OP (#6)
    4) FYEO (#10)
    5) AVTAK (#13)
    6) TMWTGG (#15)
    7) LALD (#17)
  • postman patpostman pat Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    CTrent49 wrote:
    My favorite Roger Moore Bond film used to be OCTOPUSSY. But now, I believe that it is FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. I think that it's superb.

Clock me up as another For Your Eyes Only Fan.

But that said I do have a soft spot for Octopussy too. Its sheer fun!