A question about accents around the world...

2»

Comments

• Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    Having spent so much outside of the United Kingdom this year, I have started to notice the strength and distinctive of regional accents much more than I did before.

I grew up in Yorkshire and have spent much of my life there, but I conspicuously don't have much of a Yorkshire accent. In fact, people in Yorkshire don't think I have a Yorkshire accent at all! I think this stems from my parentage. My parents were Mauritian immigrants, and they don't have Yorkshire accents. They both speak very good English, but they do not drop their vowels or say things like 'I'm goin t' shop'. I think this has had a major impact on me.

When I visit friends in southern England, everyone can immediately tell that I am from northern England! When returning from Canada and the States, the Yorkshire accents of my friends become very conspicuous! I pick up accents very quickly, and end up using some American and Canadian English terms even when I'm in the United Kingdom. I sometimes end up saying things like 'That's very cheap, it's only ten doll...erm, pounds.' The other day I even ended up coming out with: 'I don't think there'll be an election this fall.. erm autumn, sorry, you guys say autumn over here.'
    It's quite strange but also quite funny!