Female tennis players love Bond

John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
There's been a couple of Wimbledon stories concerning Bond over the last couple of days. First Maria Sharapova mentioned she would quite like to be a Bond girl, then Marion Bartoli claimed the presence of Pierce Brosnan in the crowd inspired her to victory over Justine Henin.

A total collapse of nerve from Henin and fearless hitting by 22-year-old Bartoli combined to set up the most unlikely final at the All England Club since the game went open in 1968.
Afterwards Bartoli said the sight of James Bond on Centre Court had inspired her. "I saw Pierce Brosnan, who is one of my favourite actors, in the crowd and I thought I would try to play a bit better for him.
I hope he will be back to see me in the final and bring me luck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/wimbledon.html?in_article_id=466787&in_page_id=1816&ct=5

Presumably, Henin is a Craig fan, and was so ruffled by the appearance of Brosnan that she lost all composure. :D

Personally, the idea of Sharapova as a Bond girl quite appeals to me. It wouldn't be the first time a tennis player appeared in a Bond film, with Vijay Amritraj having lent support to Roger Moore in OP. In fact, how about filling out the rest of the cast with other players. John McEnroe appears in an episode of CSI New York tonight. Why not make him Felix Leiter? Or cast the gormless Tim Henman as an ineffectual, bumbling, British agent, who like his own Wimbledon performance this year, is briefly seen before being dispatched by a more powerful opponent. Jeremy Bates could be M. And Goran Ivanisevic a ruthless assassin.

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Well, don't forget the (former) female tennis player who really loves Bond -- Pam Shriver, who is married to George Lazenby.

Like your casting ideas, although the abuse heaped on Henman has always baffled me. Sharapova as eye-candy Bond girl...you could do a lot worse.

There are no shortage of diva types who already act as though they're in a Bond film. Is there a better prototype for an OTT female villain than Serena Williams? I think not.

On the male side, I would love to see the annoying Lleyton Hewitt as a Graves-style smarmy villain, if for no other reason than to watch his character get bumped off. And doesn't Nadal have to have a place as a swashbuckling henchman?
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Well, don't forget the (former) female tennis player who really loves Bond -- Pam Shriver, who is married to George Lazenby.

{[] Good call. That had completely slipped my mind when I posted. That's another reason to admire Lazenby. Not only did he star in the best Bond film, but he pulled a female tennis player half his age.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Like your casting ideas, although the abuse heaped on Henman has always baffled me.
    I think he's overrated and I think the only reason he has done as well as he has is because he has been given favourable draws. I don't dislike him but it has annoyed me how well he has done, considering that IMO he's not particularly talented.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    A total collapse of nerve from Henin and fearless hitting by 22-year-old Bartoli combined to set up the most unlikely final at the All England Club since the game went open in 1968.
    Afterwards Bartoli said the sight of James Bond on Centre Court had inspired her. "I saw Pierce Brosnan, who is one of my favourite actors, in the crowd and I thought I would try to play a bit better for him.
    I hope he will be back to see me in the final and bring me luck.
    I saw her being interviewd and I thought about posting it but you beat me to it! X-( ;)
    John Drake wrote:
    And Goran Ivanisevic a ruthless assassin.
    Would he do it with all three Gorans? :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    here's a bit from an article in my local paper (the Boulder Daily Camera) regaurding PB...

It was hard to say which fantasy was more delicious: beating the world's best player on Centre Court; reaching the final of Wimbledon; or locking eyes with Brosnan. But in less than two hours time, it all came true. 'Right now, I don't realize it," she said in a happy daze, still disbelieving her victory...."i said to myself, 'It's not possible I play so bad in front of him!'" she said. When she snuck another peek after winning a point, he was cheering for her. "I was focusing on Pierce Brosnan because he was so beautiful," she said. "I was just watching him, he was the only one!"

:x

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Casting a teenis player in OP was probably fine, but nowadays acting skills are required.
    :D
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Like your casting ideas, although the abuse heaped on Henman has always baffled me.
    I think he's overrated and I think the only reason he has done as well as he has is because he has been given favourable draws. I don't dislike him but it has annoyed me how well he has done, considering that IMO he's not particularly talented.
    Overrated?? By whom? Henman was a middling talent who was mistakenly marked as the next British hope to win Wimbledon. The fact that he made it to the semis was an accomplishment in itself, yet he got abused by a desperate British press and public when he didn't win the tournament.
    Hilly...you old devil!