Get Smart teaser trailer...

RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
edited July 2007 in Off Topic Chat
I used to love this show in syndication as a kid(well I loved Barbara Feldman actually) so I hope that this film at least comes in the vicinity of being good...

Steve Carrell stars as Maxwell Smart.

Here's the teaser. Enjoy:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/07/10/get-smart-teaser-movie-trailer/#more-3504
Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

Comments

• MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I think Steve Carrell was a really good choice for Max!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I'll see this one B-) And I had a very similar crush on Barbara Feldon, Rogue...

These folks have a very high hurdle ahead of them, as far as I'm concerned...I hope they consulted with Buck Henry :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I can tell you this, Loeff, Anne Hathaway has some big shoes to fill in the Agent 99 department.

Although Ms. Hathaway is an attractive young lady, Feldman exuded a very alluring sexuality about her that made her role so memorable to me. '60s hot.

Max99FakePhone.jpg

And as 'Nique has stated, Carrell, on the surface, fits pretty nicely as Tennessee Tuxedo's replacement. B-)

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Carrell's a great choice indeed.

"Sorry about that chief"
    edited July 2007
    "Missed it by THAT much..." (holds thumb and forefinger a half-inch apart) :))
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    "You're worth two 43s, 86."

We could do this all night! I'm going to bed..carry on guys. :)
    Good night, 99 :x
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I've never seen Get Smart. That trailer looks quite promising though. But, summer 2008. Bit early for a trailer isn't it?
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Ah! This is great! I loved Get Smart, and since this has Anne Hathaway in it, my wife will want to see it regardless of what it's about! :)
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Bit early for a trailer isn't it?

Not really. There have been other films that brought out trailers an entire year ahead of time; I recall seeing Ang Lee's HULK teaser the summer Spider-Man debuted in theatres and the Godzilla teaser came out a year before release as well. I'm sure there are others. Just planting the seed I guess...

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Ah! This is great! I loved Get Smart, and since this has Anne Hathaway in it, my wife will want to see it regardless of what it's about! :)
    Have you ever seen Ella Enchanted? Call me a dork, but I liked it, and Anne.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I saw Steve Carrell on a talk show recently and he mentioned how difficult it is to do the famous lines ("Would you believe. . .," "Missed it by that much!") without imitating Don Adams. Both Carrell and Hathaway have big, big shoe(phone)s to fill, and I hope they're up to the task--but I think Alan Arkin will do fine as Chief.

And is it just my imagination, or is Dwayne Johnson easing away from his "Rock" nickname?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    And is it just my imagination, or is Dwayne Johnson easing away from his "Rock" nickname?

I like Dwayne Johnson; he's got great charisma and some acting chops as well. But if he wants to have a long and varied career, he has to distance himself from "The Rock" and show he can do other things - and by and large, I think he's been doing that lately.

As for Get Smart, I request that all further discussion be held under ... The Cone of Silence ;)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Alex wrote:
    darenhat wrote:
    Have you ever seen Ella Enchanted? Call me a dork, but I liked it, and Anne.

Ella Enchanted has found it's way into our DVD collection, and yes, it is a fun flic!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I like Dwayne Johnson; he's got great charisma and some acting chops as well. But if he wants to have a long and varied career, he has to distance himself from "The Rock" and show he can do other things - and by and large, I think he's been doing that lately.
    I like Johnson as well, although contrary to what some critics think, he could never replace Arnie. :#

I have mixed feelings about the Get Smart film. On the one hand, the preview does look really good and I quite like Carrell. However Get Smart is one of my all-time favourite TV shows. It has enormous significance as perhaps the only show of my childhood to still delight me now. I adore the show and so the idea of it being made into a film fills me with some trepidation. I won't make any bold statements until I know more but nor will I be completely relaxed. I'll wait and see what happens because I've learned from experience that not all great shows make great films, and this show is particularly important to me.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Despite myself I actually got a good chuckle out of that trailer ... so hopefully those were not the only good scenes in the film.

Like Dan Same "Get Smart!" was one of my favorite TV shows as a kid, and it held up better over its run than a lot of its more famous and serious competition.

I too hope they can do it justice!!!!
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Suh-weet! I'm a huge Steve Carrell fan. He's an absolute perfect chice for Maxwell Smart! Can't wait to see the film when it comes out.