YOLT vs OHMSS

GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
Which movie is better?

I personally like YOLT better because Pleasance was much better than Savalas in my opinion. But the score in OHMSS was a bit better, but not good enough to beat YOLT.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,390Chief of Staff
    Points for YOLT:

(1) Sean Connery. He takes it easy, perhaps too easy, but he's still The Man.

(2) Ken Adam. Say no more.

Points for OHMSS:

(1) Ian Fleming, comparatively ignored in YOLT.

Now, since the score was mentioned... John Barry's music for YOLT is inspired, alternating between jaw-dropping awe ("Capsule In Space") and breathtaking beauty ("Mountains And Sunsets") while evoking an Eastern character when necessary ("The Wedding").

However, nothing in the work of Barry or anyone else in the Bond music world can match the unalloyed perfection of his performance in OHMSS. The main theme rivals the Bond Theme in total rightness, the love theme ("We Have All The Time In The World") is a classic, and even throwaways such as "Try" are memorable.

You pays your money, you takes your choice!
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Georgiboy I'm confused, do you prefer the music in YOLT or OHMSS?
    Personally I prefer OHMSS as a film, although I still think it would be better if Connery stayed on as Bond.

OHMSS soundtrack is IMHO the best of the series and incidently is the only one I own on cd.
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    Sorry, i worded it wrong, I prefer the music in OHMSS.
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    Agreed :-)
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    there aren´t many thing that put YOLT in a better position than OHMSS,, but i´ll have to give Connery and Ken Adams. I don´t agree about Savalla, i think that he has a better part (and a better performance) than Pleasance.

And how about Tracy Bond?, i prefer her rather a girl whose name is never said on screen an who doesn´t have any relevance in the movie.

YOLT has some remarkable things, but is more representative in all ways OHMSS.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    After all these years, OHMSS is still a very watchable and engaging film. YOLT on the other hand gets really boring in spots--Connery was right to sleepwalk through it. :p TSWLM is a better version of YOLT IMHO, even TND edges in there IMO.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I prefer OHMSS. I just think it's a more interesting Bond film. And was also one of the first I watched, so special to me.

However, YOLT is still good. But I find YOLT a bit boring in places. For example, the volcano lair, which seems to be considered great by the masses, I just didn't really dig that much. I love the scenes in Tokyo, and the little nellie scene, but apart from that, quite a few boring goings on I think. Still a strong film though, but OHMSS is just better (Lazenby's performance aside).
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    YOLT is good but OHMSS is a stone cold classic
    207qoznfl4.gif