New York, New York

Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
I am heading across the Atlantic tomorrow for a five -day visit to New York before I fly onto Vancouver via Seattle. I have never been to that part of the US before and was wondering if anyone had any 'must do/see' tips. I am planning a soujourn in Washington DC on Monday but I haven't yet thought what I am going to do. I have acquired a New York travel guide, but I haven't got much further than that!

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Assuming by "New York" you mean Manhattan...

-- Visit Times Square. It's loud, it's cheesy, it's dirty, it's bright, but it's still fun.

-- Don't know that I would go to the Statue of Liberty, but may be worth a trip down to Battery Park to see it from across the harbor.

-- Go to the top of the Empire State or Rockefeller Center. The views are amazing.

-- If you're into art and cool buildings, the Museum of Modern Art is spectacular, and is free on Fridays starting at 4pm (arrive 15 minutes early).

-- Lincoln Center. Cool buildings.

-- Best-known UK-style pub is Nevada Smith's (I believe on 3rd Avenue).

-- There are a number of boat rides that circumnavigate Manhattan. The skyscrapers and bridges are perhaps even more spectacular when viewed from the water.

-- If you want a taste of American baseball, the New York Mets are in town this week. You can hop on the #7 train to take you Shea Stadium in the borough of Queens. I would guess it's closer to Manhattan than Wembley is to central London.

-- Central Park.

-- The West Village. Very quaint, very funky, no tall buildings. Always feels to me like the most European part of the city.

Where are you staying? PM me if you want.

SHB
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    If you like shopping, 5th avenue and Madison avenue, as well as SoHo, are great places. I agree with Sir Hilary about MoMA, it is excellent, and I am a member.

However, unless you've never seen it before, skip Times Square. Bustling and awful. I avoid it as much as possible.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    hit Toys R Us Times Square. I love to go play there with my cousin and her boyfriend...and deff. Central Park. good fun.

and hit a bunch of Memorials in DC. you cannot see if all in one day, but get in as much as you can. inspiring place, DC.

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    if you want a proper diner head towards hells kitchen from times square. I can't remember its name but its on the corner it has red leather seats, stools at the counter the lot. Its a real locals greasy spoon. best breakfast I had all week
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I think I'm too late, but I just saw this thread. If you should check in online while you are there there, go to A Salt & Battery on Greenwich Avenue if you get homesick! I've never been, but I hear the fish and chips are excellent. I've heard they even call that area Little Britain because so many Brits are in the neighborhood, and own several businesses there.