Della

Is Della Churchill regarded as a Bond girl?

Even if she isn't, she's still darn hot!! :p

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    She's in a Bond film and she's a girl, so I'd say absolutely. ;) For me she is one of those that get forgotten. Like the lovely Virginia Hey in TLD, or Catherine Schell in OHMSS, or Serena Scott-Thomas in TWINE.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I'm going to have to part ways with John and say that she wasn't a Bond girl. Not only did she not sleep with Bond, but there was never a hint that she would have. I think that in order to be a Bond girl you have to either sleep with Bond or give the impression that you would do so, and you can't be bad. I don't think that there was any possibility that Bond would ever sleep with Della.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Della was one of the worst characters ever in a Bond film. Bond doesn't need to get bent over the death of Felix's wife, that was a very dodgy plot point made worse by how her character was presented (and later handled, Felix has the shortest memory ever! :o ) IMO. Lovely lady in the role, but completely wrong in a Bond film. Started off a bad film badly, felt like I was watching a soap opera not a Bond film. :#
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I don't think that there was any possibility that Bond would ever sleep with Della.

But maybe vice versa!

She did sort of flirt with him and what was with kissing him too?

I agree that she wasn't exactly a Bond girl, but gee she has certainly got it, IMO! :D
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Um yeah, I'd say it's a good bet Bond wasn't inclined to go to bed with his best friend's wife.

I would argue that if Paula Caplan is a Bond girl, then so is Della. Both serve the same plot function -- Obligatory Sacrificial Lamb -- and there's a hint of friendly flirting but no sexual fire whatsoever. If Paula parading around in a bikini makes her more of a Bond girl then Della in a wedding gown, that would be an odd criterion.

Of course, Della's other plot function was to allow Dalton to imitate Brando in Streetcar..."Della!" sure sounded an awful lot like "Stella!" to me! :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited July 2007
    I would argue that if Paula Caplan is a Bond girl, then so is Della. Both serve the same plot function -- Obligatory Sacrificial Lamb -- and there's a hint of friendly flirting but no sexual fire whatsoever. If Paula parading around in a bikini makes her more of a Bond girl then Della in a wedding gown, that would be an odd criterion.
    I don't think it's odd. I mean, not every woman who appears in a Bond film can be considered a Bond Girl, and so I think that if the viewer knows that no matter what happens, Bond could/would never sleep with a particular woman, then IMO she's not a Bond girl. However I have a problem with classifying extremely minor characters as Bond Girls anyway. You get into a situation where it becomes too difficult to draw a line between someone who is merely a minor character and a Bond Girl. :D Nonetheless, whether or not Paula is a Bond Girl, I don't think that Della is as Bond wasn't going to ever sleep with her, unless he was played by Daniel Craig. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Of course, Della's other plot function was to allow Dalton to imitate Brando in Streetcar..."Della!" sure sounded an awful lot like "Stella!" to me! :D[/quote]

:)) :)) I'll never be able to watch that scene without thinking of that.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I don't think it's odd. I mean, not every woman who appears in a Bond film can be considered a Bond Girl, and so I think that if the viewer knows that no matter what happens, Bond could/would never sleep with a particular woman, then IMO she's not a Bond girl. However I have a problem with classifying extremely minor characters as Bond Girls anyway. You get into a situation where it becomes too difficult to draw a line between someone who is merely a minor character and a Bond Girl. :D Nonetheless, whether or not Paula is a Bond Girl, I don't think that Della is as Bond wasn't going to ever sleep with her, unless he was played by Daniel Craig. :))
    Don't misread me -- I completely agree about Della in particular and minor female characters in general. My point was, aside from the way they dress, there's little to distinguish Paula and Della in terms of screen time, importance to plot, interactions with Bond, etc. Yet, Paula is often referred to as a "Bond girl" while Della isn't.

Not sure I get your Craig comment, but I'll assume it's funny. :p
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited July 2007
    My point was, aside from the way they dress, there's little to distinguish Paula and Della in terms of screen time, importance to plot, interactions with Bond, etc. Yet, Paula is often referred to as a "Bond girl" while Della isn't.
    Indeed. That's why it's so difficult. Personally I stay away from minor characters unless they are enormously memorable like Jill Masterson.
    Not sure I get your Craig comment, but I'll assume it's funny. :p
    It was a reference to Bond's having a fling with a married woman in CR. I guess it wasn't particularly funny. :#
  • Kirk James KirkKirk James Kirk Posts: 190MI6 Agent
    I was under the impression that Della and Bond had some sort of past. Bond then introduced his former fling to his American buddy Felix Leiter. Otherwise, why would she kiss him, throw him the garter or give him a lighter that says "Love Felix and Della?" Is there any evidence to prove my theory?