Bergman Loses Chess Game

highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
Bergman Dies at 89
STOCKHOLM, Sweden July 30, 2007, 7:18 a.m. ET · Swedish director Ingmar Bergman, an iconoclastic filmmaker widely regarded as one of the great masters of modern cinema, died Monday, the president of his foundation said. He was 89.

I figure any site that deals in movies ought to acknowledge his passing, even if Bond and Bergman were unlikely to ever share a marquee. So long, Ingmar

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    He was a genius, no doubt about it. A truly wonderful director. May he rest in peace. -{

(BTW, NP inserted a tribute to Bergman in the tributes thread.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Well I saw The Seventh Seal tonight at the Curzon Soho in London.

Good stuff, natch, very eerie. I could sympathise with Max Von Sydow's quest for some guarantee or meaning before Death closes in. He'd spent years on the Crusade, I've wasted time on James Bond chat rooms... :o

Tall t0sser in front of me, turned out to be novelist Julian Barnes.
    Isn't it amazing how you get some tall scumbag with an perm choosing to sit down in front of someone just as the titles roll? I saw that happen to someone else.

Quite moving though I'm not really sure about the outcome - hmm, how do you do that spoiler thing?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I'm not eloquent enough to do Bergman justice so here's a clip from The Seventh Seal. For me it's one of the finest moments in cinema.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6UEoG1LZwM8
    HH, the idea of Bergman and Bond together is an interesting proposition. Lets imagine a movie called My Summer with Blofeld.

Bond goes in search a missing nuclear weapon and finds it has been stolen by a secret organisation called D.E.S.P.A.I.R. Their aim, the ultimate destruction of humanity so they can find out what lies beyond death.

After being briefed by M, during which time he is repeatedly reprimanded for asking questions about God and the Devil, he sets out to hunt down the culprits. But not before saying goodbye to Miss Moneypenny, M's tall, blonde and Swedish secretary. On learning that it his old adversary Blofeld, the murderer of his wife who is responsible, Bond has a crisis of faith and seeks solace in the comforts provided by a travelling circus.

There he falls in love with a tall, blonde and beautiful Swedish trapeze artist, only to find out that she has a thing for self-mutilation and cutting her private areas with glass. Bond can handle getting whacked in the *******s with a knotted rope, but feels this is a step to far and returns to his mission.

Meanwhile Blofeld undergoes a personality change after giving his tall, blonde and beautiful Swedish daughter-in-law, a lift in his Fiat Punto. During a journey of self-discovery he finds himself returning to his childhood haunts and reliving the moments that made him the meglomaniac he is today. A changed man, he moves to Sweden where he opens an inn with his new wife, a not quite as tall, but certainly passable blonde.

Bond is confronted by a white-faced gentleman in a cloak, who claims to be Death incarnate. Bond defeats him using an exploding chess set, cunningly devised by Q, MI6's tall, blonde and beautiful Swedish weapons master.

Blofeld's new-found peace is destroyed when bandits kill his step-daughter. The bandits make the fatal mistake of renting a room in Blofeld's inn, where they a brutally tortured to death by Blofeld and his wife. Blofeld returns to D.E.S.P.A.I.R. and resolves to breach the barrier between the living and dead by attempting to open the seventh seal, using the nuclear device.

Bond, who is now working with a tall, blonde and beautiful Swedish secret agent, infiltrates Blofeld's underwater lair and distracts him by putting on a puppet show in Blofeld's front room. A delighted Blofeld is too distracted to notice the nuclear warhead being disarmed. Death shows up in a very bad mood, but spares Bond, by agreeing to take Blofeld and a few hundred ninja henchmen instead.

Bond and tall, blonde and beautiful Swedish secret agent escape in a mini-sub. M manages to make visual contact with the sub. He asks Q what Bond and the female are doing in there? Q replies that "They seem to be weeping, sir." The closing titles inform us that 'James Bond will not return.'

(With apologies to The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries,, Persona, The Virgin Spring and Fanny and Alexander.)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    John the whole piece is terrific. {[] I especialy love the following:
    John Drake wrote:
    There he falls in love with a tall, blonde and beautiful Swedish trapeze artist, only to find out that she has a thing for self-mutilation and cutting her private areas with glass. Bond can handle getting whacked in the *******s with a knotted rope, but feels this is a step to far and returns to his mission.
    :)) That would be almost worth buying a ticket to see. :D

BTW, I haven't seen every Bergman film ever made, bur surely he must have had at least one female character who wasn't tall, blonde and beautiful? :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    BTW, I haven't seen every Bergman film ever made, bur surely he must have had at least one female character who wasn't tall, blonde and beautiful? :D

I haven't seen all his films either. Just the main ones really. Bibi Andersson was small, but still blonde and beautiful. I think the lead actress in Persona was a brunette, (it's been over a decade since I've seen it). I was thinking mainly of ingrid Thulin who appeared in Wild Strawberries.