John Gardner RIP

emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Yes, very sad! :'(

John Gardner's Bond novels may not be universally liked, but I certainly enjoyed the ones that I have read. And besides Bond, his literary career was long and very distinguished. A very good novelist who I'm sure will be missed.
  • TOOTSTOOTS Posts: 114MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    I am very sad but not surprised. John's health had been failing over the last few years but his spirit was always high. He was an amazing person having lived an extraordinary life. He was a good human being a great family man and a lively spark - always great company.

John was very proud that he was a professional author and had written many books in many genres. I have not read all his books but I do encourage people to read some of his non-thrillers. My personal favourite is Every Night's A Bullfight, a melodrama about the stage world - something John knew a lot about having worked as a drama critic. It is very well written and funny and moving. If you can pick up a copy of his first book, his autobiography, Spin The Bottle, it will be well worth it too.

On a Bondian note, I devoured his Bond novels in a seamless switch from Fleming to Gardner. I waited every year for his new entertainment. Now, having re-read most of them, I see the joy he had in writing them and the fun he had in creating those stories. He succeeded in his aim: he entertained millions.

I always welcome any effort to encourage people away from their screens and dip into the pages of litBond world. Gardner's adventures were thrilling at the time and kept the literary Bond active. For a certain generation of Bond fans, John Gardner's name evokes the joy of those days of childhood and, now, sadness at the passing of them.

RIP John Edmund Gardner - 1926 - 2007

The Adventures of Ian Fleming's James Bond by John Gardner

1) LICENCE RENEWED 1981
    2) FOR SPECIAL SERVICES 1982
    3) ICEBREAKER 1983
    4) ROLE OF HONOUR 1984
    5) NOBODY LIVES FOR EVER 1986
    6) NO DEALS MR BOND 1987
    7) SCORPIUS 1988
    8) WIN LOSE OR DIE 1989
    9) BROKENCLAW 1990
    10) THE MAN FROM BARBAROSSA 1991
    11) DEATH IS FOREVER 1992
    12) NEVER SEND FLOWERS 1993
    13) SEAFIRE 1994
    14) COLD (US: COLD FALL) 1996

Film Novelizations
    a) LICENCE TO KILL 1989
    b ) GOLDENEYE 1995
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    This is sad news indeed. While I had complaints about his Bond novels, I admire Gardner for taking on the difficult task of following in Fleming's footsteps; and I think he deserves a place in the history of espionage lit for his creation of Boysie Oakes. Farewell, Mr. G!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited August 2007
    I was also a fan of his 'Secret' series: The Secret Generations, The Secret Houses, The Secret Families.

A remarkable career. His first two Bonds were his best, but I read them all.

Rest in peace -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,621Chief of Staff
    I was also a fan of his 'Secret' series: The Secret Generations, The Secret Houses, The Secret Families

Same here.
    And, like TOOTS, I waited every year for his next Bond novel, quickly rushing out to buy it the day it was published - I'm so glad I did as some are now worth quite a few pounds !
    It's always sad when someone who has brought you joy passes away but, from what I heard, he did well to live this long - and what a rollercoaster life it appeared to have been.

Sir, I raise a glass to your memory and thank you -{
    YNWA 97
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Sad news indeed. I really enjoyed his Bond novels apart from the last few that went awry from the norm. John Gardner kept the literary Bond alive and like Sir Miles, I used to go out and buy them every year, a great annual event. He also had a reasonable taste in handguns and will not be forgotten. RIP John Gardner.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • wollastonbluewollastonblue Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    Saddened to here his death, on the day I finally complete my collection of his Bond novels, aswell.

Will always be the man who brought James Bond from the Cold War, and into a the new age, and creator of some wonderful Characters, Nena Bismarquer, Sukie Tempesta, Flicka Von Grusse, to name but a few.

God Rest.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,390Chief of Staff
    Rest In Peace. I'd been reading Gardner for years before he started writing Bond novels, and his Boysie Oakes is one of the few 007-influenced series worth reading (personal favourite- Traitor's Exit). His sense of humour came much more to the fore there than with his Bond. The earlier Bonds he wrote have some good moments (personal favourite again- Nobody Lives For Ever), and he took pains to ensure the technology Bond used in his books was believable. It's sad to hear he's passed away.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    His work provided me with many hours of entertainment.

RIP John Gardner
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    I discovered Gardner's books at a time when the cinematic Bond was dead to me. I had a personal dislike for the latter Moore films and the Dalton era. I've grown to like them a bit more over the years but at that specific time, I was convinced that the Bond franchise was indeed dying.

Then one day at during that time at a local library I saw "License Renewed" sitting on a shelf. I was very cynical at first thinking, "Who's this guy who's riding Ian Flemings coattails?" However, I gave it a shot. I took it home and from the time I began reading it I loved every bit. I then went out and starting buying all the Gardner Bond books I could and reading them in order. I know his works aren't unanimously loved on this site but I will confess that I can certainly remember looking forward to each new one that I picked up.

Thanks for the hours of entertainment Mr. Gardner and thanks to you sir for keeping the kid in me alive just a little bit longer.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Sad news indeed - I have likewise enjoyed many of books- and although it was a difficult task taking up the baton from Fleming he worked with a tenacious aplomb to deliver yarns that have helped many a person to continue enjoying the literary 007. I too raise a glass to his memory and send condolences to his nearest and dearest.

NOBODY LIVES FOREVER - But we will remember him.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I'm very grateful for having new Bond novels available (and a lot of them too!) with Gardner's entry into the Fleming fold. They provided me with many hours of quiet pleasure on the couch and the campus bench.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Steve Rush DI5 AgentSteve Rush DI5 Agent Oxfordshire, Great BritainPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    I have to agree with our friend above, in that JG's Bond novels also provided me with many entertaining hours.

The first three were brilliant, but you couldn't help feeling that he was sort of "going through the motions" with some of the later novels. That said, every now and again a real cracker would emerge between a couple of slower burning stories.

He will be sadly missed but it's kind of ironic that he should pass away during the year 2-007.

Sleep well, John,

Steve
  • MyrddinMerlinoMyrddinMerlino Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Yes, very sad! :'(

John Gardner's Bond novels may not be universally liked, but I certainly enjoyed the ones that I have read. And besides Bond, his literary career was long and very distinguished. A very good novelist who I'm sure will be missed.

I agree. some of his novels are very fine.
  • Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Been quite a while since my last post, but felt compelled to write a quick note on this topic. Before I read Fleming's originals, my introduction to literary Bond when I was a kid was through Mr. Gardner's books. Today, they still still sit on my bookshelf . . . I have a fond sentimental attachment to them. While their quality varied greatly, they were still very much entertaining reads.

Thanks, John . . .