Favourite Spirits

ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
I thought This might be a fun tread. And since our common denominator is a imbiber of fine drink, I thought we could share our favourite brands and recipes.

I am a Gordon's Gin man myself. An excellent Gin and Tonic is made with Gordon's.

For bourbon I like Old Grand-dad and not just because it is drunk by our hero. It has a great vanilla-esque flavour that really defines it. Old Grand-dad and Coke make for a very nice drink.

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I do enjoy my 7 & 7's. I use Seagrams (American Whisky) and Diet 7up. I do use regular 7up on occasion, but want to cut down on th sugar in the drink. I use to also drink Rum & Coke. I used Bacardi (the clear one, not the Gold). I'll keep an eye on this thread. Maybe something else will be mentioned worth trying.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I'm a bourbon girl myself, on the rocks.No mixers for me. I like Wild Turkey when I can get it (its not readily available here in the UK) but otherwise Jack Daniels does the job nicely. I'm not a Jim Bean fan though.

Other than that, a nice vodka and tonic with plenty of ice - no particular brands - hits the spot on on a warm day.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Casper, Nearly-Headless Nick, Canterville, Topper, that blob-like thing from Ghostbusters. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    Scotch, not too surprisingly- except here we simply call it "whisky", of course -{.
  • JonesJones Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I'm a bourbon girl myself, on the rocks.No mixers for me. I like Wild Turkey when I can get it (its not readily available here in the UK) but otherwise Jack Daniels does the job nicely. I'm not a Jim Bean fan though.

Other than that, a nice vodka and tonic with plenty of ice - no particular brands - hits the spot on on a warm day.

You're going to hate me, but I have to do my civic duties. Jack Dnaiel's is not Bourbon, it is sourmash whiskey, a different flavour and less woddy. Wild Turkey 101 is my favourite bourbon, and my old man worked inthe WT distillery for 40 years. SO, you could say the Turkey is in my blood.

As for me, I'm a hardcore Pusser's British Navy Rum man myself. Can't live without the evening toast each night, been doing it since Pusser's was released back in the 80's. Never missed not one night in over twenty years.

As for whiskey's, Jack Daniels is good, Wild TUrkey 101 only is good (not hte 86).

My favourite gin is Tanqueray.

My ex-wife had a thing for red wines, so I got into Cabernet for a while, but since then, I drink it on a rarity.

I'm for Pusser's, in life and in death. May Pusser's be embalmed in my lifeless corpse, and may no other rum pass through my lips.
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Casper, Nearly-Headless Nick, Canterville, Topper, that blob-like thing from Ghostbusters. . .

How very droll. :))
  • Sir_Miles_MesservySir_Miles_Messervy MI6 CLASSIFIEDPosts: 113MI6 Agent
    I rather enjoy a well made Manhattan from time to time.

If I'm going to sip something straight, I'll usually go for a good Scotch.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    1) Vodka (I generally prefer my martini 'on the rocks,' with a wedge of lime instead of an olive).

2) Tequila (top shelf, preferably...especially as the building block of a frozen Marguerita---but also neat, with salt and lime).

3) Scotch---single malt, preferably, on the rocks. Very nice.

Gin was a drink of my youth, when I lived in Spain (back then, a ginebra con lemon ran about 120 pesetas), as was bourbon (Jack Daniels and I had a 'falling out' in 1981 :o ).

Rum is good, in the appropriate tropical drink on special occasions...

But I'm a beer man on a day-to-day, 'bad habit' basis... ;%

{[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Jones wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

You're going to hate me, but I have to do my civic duties. Jack Daniel's is not Bourbon, it is sourmash whiskey, a different flavour and less woddy. Wild Turkey 101 is my favourite bourbon, and my old man worked inthe WT distillery for 40 years. SO, you could say the Turkey is in my blood.

I've been picked up before on that. The funny thing is, I dont like whiskey but I love JD. Its tastes more like a bourbon than a whiskey.

As for WT that is my favourite drink. It really does hit the spot.

True story .... I once asked my father in law to get me a bottle of Wild Turkey Bourbon , he returned with a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka - obviously got his animals and drinks mixed up :))
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I'm not a big drinker, and I drink spirits even less, but when I do drink spirits, I drink Scotch & Coke and Rum & Coke. (I'm not fussy about which particular Scotch or Rum are used.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JonesJones Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    Great story, girl, love that! I should steal that and say that happened to me sometime, good icebreaker!

ANd next time you Wild Turkey it up, get the more expensive Rare Breed Wild Turkey....trust me, you'll thank me later for it.

As for rum, nothing but Pusser's shall enter beyound my lips, in life or in death.

I recommend Pusser's to anyone and everyone. It's worth its weight in gold, you know. To be drank straight, on the rocks, or in my personal favourite recipe, 'Grog'.

2 parts Pusser's
    1 tblspn sugar
    1 part lime juice
    1 part water

MIX THOROUGHLY!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Chilled Vodka with ice. I got sent some Polish vodka (or should that be Wodka?) from a girl I used to work with and it was great. A Tanqueray and Tonic goes down well too, especially if you squeeze a wedge of lime around the rim of the glass. Lots of ice too. Great on a summer's day. Although we haven't had summer in Scotland yet. :(
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    If you have never tried Henry McKenna, the finest of Kentucky Bourbon Whiskeys you are missing a treat!
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    I figured there would be a few Scotch drinkers on here. I am a fan of The Balvenie. I think the Founder's Reserve is the best bang for your buck or quid. It has a very nice smooth flavour that really sends me.

That Grey Goose/Wild Turkey story was one of the funniest I have heard for a while. I will certainly remember it.