bond driving SUV in pursuit scene?

sitosito Posts: 44MI6 Agent
How come bond has never driven a SUV in pursuit? I like to see Bond driving VW Tourage or Range Rover sport.

Aston Martin is getting over exposure on screen.

Comments

• Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    There's some good, un-tapped potential for a fun scene here.

I don't know whether many people here saw the Callan film from the late seventies/early eighties... there was a scene where Callan was driving an early Range Rover in pursuit of the bad guy, using the vehicle's full potential by taking short-cuts across the fields rather than using the roads. Suddenly he's faced with a huge greenhouse in his path. After a moment's contemplation he simply drives through the whole thing and out the other side.

A terrific scene, but sadly something I'd doubt we'd see in today's politically sensitive times. I can hear the anti 4x4 lobby now "Bond driving an SUV? Isn't he supposed to be saving the planet?'
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    A terrific scene, but sadly something I'd doubt we'd see in today's politically sensitive times. I can hear the anti 4x4 lobby now "Bond driving an SUV? Isn't he supposed to be saving the planet?'

lol, sadly, that is very true. Though I'd love to see Craig's Bond smashing through something in an SUV - not too dissimilar to the construction scene in CR where he smashes through the fence in a digger.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    DC gave of a hint of how this would look in the Ocean Club parking lot - I believe he was even driving a Range Rover!
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Play the Bond game "Everything or Nothing". That should put things in perspective.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Play the Bond game "Everything or Nothing". That should put things in perspective.

Quite right! Bond has a lot of fun in a Q-equipped SUV in that one...

I think Bond pursuing (or being pursued) in an SUV, on the big screen, has a lot of potential...but naturally he'd have to push the 'four-wheeling' capabilities to the absolute limit :o
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    DC gave of a hint of how this would look in the Ocean Club parking lot - I believe he was even driving a Range Rover!

Beat me to it!

Yes, it was a Range Rover that he was parking.

2005_LandRover_RangeRover_ext_1.jpg
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    I don't see any great need for a "Bond driving an SUV" scene, unless there is a valid reason for the vehicle. We've already endured Bond driving a fire truck, tank, moon buggy, bus and hovercraft among other things. Trying to justify an SUV scene just to have Bond driving one is a return to the cookie cutter approach to developing the movie, and I don't want to see that ever again.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    RJJB wrote:
    I don't see any great need for a "Bond driving an SUV" scene, unless there is a valid reason for the vehicle. We've already endured Bond driving a fire truck, tank, moon buggy, bus and hovercraft among other things. Trying to justify an SUV scene just to have Bond driving one is a return to the cookie cutter approach to developing the movie, and I don't want to see that ever again.

Yeah, I don't disagree- doing it by numbers would be a bit irritating... but n the other hand, off-roaders going fast off-road do look very cool! :)
    From Top Gear, here's a Range Rover Sport vs. a tank(!), and an Audi Q7 racing a Volvo XC90 on a snowy cross-country track:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3p_j-wPyl2c
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s6sbeQQobF0
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    This one's rather fun too: a Porsche Cayenne vs a skydiver! And it's very Bond:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0R_P0mF7Hqo
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    There's some good, un-tapped potential for a fun scene here.

I don't know whether many people here saw the Callan film from the late seventies/early eighties... there was a scene where Callan was driving an early Range Rover in pursuit of the bad guy, using the vehicle's full potential by taking short-cuts across the fields rather than using the roads. Suddenly he's faced with a huge greenhouse in his path. After a moment's contemplation he simply drives through the whole thing and out the other side.

A terrific scene, but sadly something I'd doubt we'd see in today's politically sensitive times. I'

That's a brilliant sequence. I've only seen Callan the movie though. I wish one of the satellite channels would repeat the series. I'd love to see it.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    From Top Gear, here's a Range Rover Sport vs. a tank(!), and an Audi Q7 racing a Volvo XC90 on a snowy cross-country track:

The Tank v Range Rover Sport is one of my favourite ever moments on TV. I thought that was fantastic.

I take it from your posts em, you have been enjoying the recent Top Gear specials ;)

The SUV thing can work brilliantly if used in the correct context and is relevant to the plot. Though if it is set in the Swiss Alps there would be no problem is incorporating it - maybe we could even have a mini going off the end of a ski slope. Those Top Gear boys have the best jobs in the world :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=764mD9sh-Wo