how tall is James Bond in the movie?

sitosito Posts: 44MI6 Agent
how tall is Bond suppose to be? 6 foot or 5'11" I heard that Daniel Craig barely meet the height requirement.

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,674Chief of Staff
    sito wrote:
    how tall is Bond suppose to be? 6 foot or 5'11" I heard that Daniel Craig barely meet the height requirement.

I can't recall Bond's height being given in the films - no doubt someone will put me right though ;)
    In the books Bond is 6'2" and 167 lbs, slim build, blue eyes, black hair with a scar down right cheek. Straight nose, cruel mouth, firm jawline and has had plastic surgery on the back of his right hand.
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,476Chief of Staff
    Ian Fleming describes Bond as being 183cm tall, which is a shade over six foot. Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan are all at least this or taller; Craig is a little shorter but still in the ballpark.

It's notoriously difficult to get an accurate record of an actor's height- there is at least one web site devoted to attempting to obtain accurate figures (Stallone is a favourite target) delving into camera angles, posture, elevator shoes, etc- since as many male celebrities lie about their stature as female celebrities about their age. Also, it's not rare to lose an inch or two with age (apparently Clint Eastwood's only 6'1" these days), many tall men slouch from years of talking to shorter people (Liam Neeson's guilty of that), and camera angles can make anyone look tall- check out Minority Report where Spielberg is very creative in juxtaposing Tom Cruise and Max von Sydow.

Craig's over the average height for the UK, ie over 5'8"- the fact that the previous Bond actors have all been taller doesn't make him short.

Kingsley Amis's opinion:
    "Our prototype is six foot tall and, whereas a few inches either way will make no vital difference, those under four foot six and over seven foot would be better advised to model themselves on one of the original 007's adversaries, probably Goldfinger (five foot) or Dr No (six foot six)."

Hhm, I'd better not let my seven foot tall brother-in-law see that. Anyway, Sir Kingsley's view that Craig's in the correct height bracket is shared by Broccoli & Wilson, and they're happy enough.
  • sitosito Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    how much do you think Daniel Craig weight during the shooting of this movie? he gained some weight by doing heavy duty training. I guess he weight about 180lbs.
    edited August 2007
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I can't recall Bond's height being given in the films - no doubt someone will put me right though ;)

In DAF and NSNA his height is given as 6'2", about right for Connery.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,674Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

At least I was right about being put right :))
    YNWA 97
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

At least I was right about being put right :))

Whenever people discuss actors' heights, I'm reminded of Burt Reynolds' answer, when someone questioned his stature, that "no one is under six feet in Hollywood."
    highhopes wrote:
    Whenever people discuss actors' heights, I'm reminded of Burt Reynolds' answer, when someone questioned his stature, that "no one is under six feet in Hollywood."

You're about my age, highhopes- do you remember the fashion for platform heels in the 70s :))? My then girlfriend bought me a pair and I lurched about like Frankenstein's monster for a while (I'm 183cm, a shade over six foot :007)).

I remember reading somewhere that Reynolds was under consideration for 007 during the Connery/Lazenby period, ie before his superstardom era. I'll see if I can dig out a relevant quote.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

You're about my age, highhopes- do you remember the fashion for platform heels in the 70s :))? My then girlfriend bought me a pair and I lurched about like Frankenstein's monster for a while (I'm 183cm, a shade over six foot :007)).

I remember reading somewhere that Reynolds was under consideration for 007 during the Connery/Lazenby period, ie before his superstardom era. I'll see if I can dig out a relevant quote.

Platform heels -- sure do. I've never tried them, but I've lived out West most of my life, where cowboy boots are fairly popular, even among people who don't otherwise wear Western garb. But I never could stand wearing the damn things, because they tend to have higher heels than most footwear. I'm 6'2" myself, so I understand what you mean about lumbering around. Ya really have to hand it to women for being able to walk in high heels. It's a considerable skill.

And you're right about Reynolds. When Eon was considering Americans for the role, he was one of them. I liked Reynolds, until he became the Good Ol' (Poster) Boy (Americans will get that joke). But I think it would have been a disaster to cast any American in the role under any circumstances. There really isn't any logic attached to that, but there's something about Bond to me that requires he be British in a way that other characters do not. I don't mind Brits playing Americans. Even historical ones. I'm looking forward to Liam Neeson in the film about Lincoln (I'm praying it's next after Indy 4). But Bond -- the actor has to be British, or at least in the general ballpark among English-speaking people: the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, whatever. Besides, it's my experience that most male American actors do terrible British accents, although most Brits seem able to do a credible American one. Don't know why that is. Or why it appears to be a male phenomenon. American actresses seem to do fine.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    Yeah I agree (although there are roles which only US actors should play- Christian Bale as Batman is fine, but Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken!? Snake's all-American- it just ain't right!); but whereas casting a blond guy to play Bond is fine by me, and even getting non UK actors doesn't seem so bad as long as they can do a passable version of the accent (although George's and Pierce's were barely that!), casting James Brolin to play it in an American accent is still entirely baffling to me! Was he still going to say 'the things I do for England'? Just a step too far I think; God bless Roger for popping back for the good of our country's favourite hero (and those millions of pounds probably didn't hurt either!).
    Butler as Snake? Naa, that shouldn't be.

I still haven't found the quote on Reynolds- it was along the lines of one of the execs (maybe Saltzman?) thinking ol'Burt would be fine for Bond and the other being concerned about him being a good few inches shorter than Connery.
  • Malko LingeMalko Linge Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    It seems logical that if a character is described at 6',productors will seek firstly in actors of identical size, nothing astonishing with that. The color of the hair being already a problem ! ;)
    For S.A.S Malko Linge, several films with an actor at 6'1 and dark hair were produced...Linge is 5'8 and blond...Well for me they aren't S.A.S.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I always remember him being 6ft 2
    207qoznfl4.gif