Royal Navy Commander

I have just located a Royal Navy Commanders uniform in London made by Gieves the Royal Tailors in Saville Row.. Can anyone help re the medal ribbons worn by Connery, Moore and Brosnan in identifying campaigns or bravery awards. Are they the same for all the differing films.. I may be able to source more uniforms if anyone wants them..

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I would love to see a list of the medal ribbons worn by the Bond actors. I would be most interested in Connery's from YOLT.

I read the older US ribbons real well, but can't seem to get a eye for the British ones. I do know that Bond's first ribbon (at least on SC) is the CMG.

On the literary side, I have also been looking to find out which service medals/decorations were earned by Ian Fleming, with absolutely no luck - I figured that would be the way to establish what constituted the "two rows of lettuce" worn by the oo7 of the books.
  • crowe007crowe007 Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    I found this site when I went to replicate the dress uniform. Doesn't give them all, but lists a few
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Connery wears 10 ribbons in 3 rows - which is a bit much given that medals are generally given out for campaign service. None of them I could really identify with any accuracy.

Poor old Rog only had two medals in one row, and one of those was the General Service Medal (Northern Ireland and the likes, campaigns for which there is no specific decoration).

But Brosnan's Bond was a naval superhero. He was back to 3 rows. Still had the GSM, but was also in Rhodesia (1979/1980 as it became Zimbabwe) and the Distinguished Service Cross. Brosnan's Bond also had an OBE, and wore a set of wings on his shoulder, indicating that he was in the SBS.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • matthewarmitagematthewarmitage Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Hi there Agent

Did not get the email address for the question..Can you re send as transmitter failure .. No doubt!
  • matthewarmitagematthewarmitage Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Sounds like a busy service life before Double O status..It appears that Brosnan would have done the SF course with the Royal Marines as he is Navy..