sequel to CR

Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
How much of a sequel do you want Bond 22 to be to CR? By that I mean, do you want the PTS in Bond 22 to directly lead on from CR (the 'interrogation' of Mr White) and how necessary should it be to have seen CR?

I personally do not believe that the PTS should follow on directly from CR. I think that the PTS should follow Bond investigating whichever information he received from Mr White. I also think that Bond 22, whilst a sequel, should not be such that if one hasn't seen CR, one can not enjoy it. What do you think?
"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    well, Im not sure if sequel is the right word. For example, I wouldnt have called YOLT a sequel to TB, although it did happen after it.

I think what I'd like is a follow on story, Bond going after the organisation. Also reference Vesper - but not avenging her.

Id also like to see the return of the completely random PTS - which has nothing what so ever to do with the plot, but is a nice little intro.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    I use the word sequel as Bond 22 is almost certain to follow on from CR's plot; hence I would describe it as a sequel. (YOLT wasn't a sequel to TB, however FRWL was IMO a sequel of sorts to DN.) BTW I too would like to see a return of the 'completely random PTS.'
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I would like to see them follow up on certain elements from CR, but obliquely - for instance;

Bond should be haunted by Vesper - conflicted by his love for her and her betrayal. I would like to see her return in a nightmare. oo7 should drink to much and become very, very ruthless with women.

The corpse of Vesper's boyfriend should be found in the Thames. Mathis should be acquitted of treason and then try to kill Bond.

Mr. White should remain a "dead" end and the plot of the movie should not be further connected to CR.

I agree with Dan Same with respect to DN being a "cousin" of FRWL - prehaps the villians should recognise Bond and want to kill him - but Bond should not know who the Villians are.

No more bald badguys with New Jersey accents and white cats thank you. One more secret "gag" ala "Too Much Vesper" thread ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited August 2007
    I don't really have any strong feelings one way or another on this issue---I'm good either way.

I actually rather like the notion of #22 picking up precisely where CR finished: With Bond on the steps, preparing to do some serious interrogation...White's associates intervene, Bond and White pile into White's car, and they go off careening down a winding road, bullets flying...

Or they could do something completely different, and I'll be equally thrilled. It is a new James Bond film, after all -{

Eon have said that it will be a continuation; I suppose the only question is how direct. If #22 does indeed begin precisely where CR left off, it would certainly be historic B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
  • jboyjboy Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    I actually rather like the notion of #22 picking up precisely where CR finished: With Bond on the steps, preparing to do some serious interrogation...

well, according to Haggis, you're wish is granted...
    And Haggis has also shot down the rumour about #22 being 'jokier' than CR...which comes as a huge relief to Flemingists everywhere :007)
  • jbforever05jbforever05 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Very good news about the continuation two minutes after the end of CR and that the tone will be the same and not 'jokier'. I think I might be even more excited for Bond 22 than I was for CR if that is possible. With CR I was still a bit uncertain until it came out, I saw the glowing reviews from critics and members of this site, and saw it for myself. I am uncertain no more. Haggis is back, they are using some Fleming material still, and everyone seems to be on the right track. And of course there is Daniel Craig, the best James Bond since Connery. I absolutely can't wait.
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    It appears to be the general opinion that witty one-liners and realism don't match - at least I can now confirm that the Craig era won't please me after all. Connery managed to look rough and tight even in the lighter surroundings but I guess that isn't accepted any more. Damn it!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    ATPrescott wrote:
    It appears to be the general opinion that witty one-liners and realism don't match - at least I can now confirm that the Craig era won't please me after all. Connery managed to look rough and tight even in the lighter surroundings but I guess that isn't accepted any more. Damn it!

Few but good one-liners are good, the way they did it in CR. In DAD they only said bad one-liners to each other instead of talking, this helped DAD to be the worst Bond film since AVTAK.
    ATPrescott wrote:
    at least I can now confirm that the Craig era won't please me after all.

Sorry to hear that...I'll try to enjoy it enough for the both of us {[]
  • jboyjboy Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    I watched Goldeneye a few nights ago and the forced 'one liners' were so contrived and forced it was sad.

Can you honestly admit you've ever even smirked at any of the one liners? Groans don't count...
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    I won't miss the cheesy one-liners if they're omitted from Bond 22. They haven't ever really made me laugh.

There was only one time a one liner ever made me laugh and it had my laughing hysterically by accident.

It was in Licence to Kill. Bond and the girl are fleeing the exploding lab when a Forklift with one of the main baddies came crashing through a wall. The man is impaled by the forks.

Bond and the girl stop fleeing for a second and Bond turns to the girl and calmly says, "Looks like he came to a dead end." That wasn't the funny part. The funny part came about 1/2 second later when Bond literally screamed at the girl, "COME ON!!!!" It was just so pathetic. Yep, Bond has all the time in the world to make his little joke. Then what? Did he realize that he screwed up, they didn't have time to joke at all? Maybe he just felt like yelling? Maybe he realized his one liner stank and he wanted to stress the girl out before she too realized how bad it was? The two lines just don't fit together at all.

That's the only time a one liner made me laugh. That is if you only count the one liners that came after somebody's death.

Craig's one-liner, "Do I look like I give a damn?" when asked how he wants his martini after losing to LeChiffre at cards makes everyone who knows the world of Bond laugh because it's so uncharacteristic for Bond to say. Does that one count?
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    Id also like to see the return of the completely random PTS - which has nothing what so ever to do with the plot, but is a nice little intro.

The "completely random PTS" is actually pretty rare. Really, only GF, FYEO and OP have a PTS that is totally unrelated to the plot of the film. The rest are either used to set up the film's characters or events (FRWL, TB, DAF, TSWLM, MR, AVTAK, TLD, TND, CR) or are actually major contributors to the plots (YOLT, OHMSS, LALD, TMWTGG, LTK, GE, TWINE, DAD).

Back on topic, I pretty agree with Dan. We don't need a PTS that starts on the steps of the villa. Also, the film should carry certain plot elements over from CR (White's organization, Vesper's boyfriend, etc.) but seeing CR should not be a requirement to understand or enjoy Bond 22.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • LukeLuke USAPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    The only other time a true follow-up was imminent in the Bond series was following the wonderful OHMSS. Bond 22 has the opportunity to do what a disappointing box-office return and the loss of a lead kept the producers from developing after the loss of James Bond's wife. Instead we ended up with a 1970 money machine. I'm just grateful the good guys are winning this time.
    It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.
    We don't need a PTS that starts on the steps of the villa. Also, the film should carry certain plot elements over from CR (White's organization, Vesper's boyfriend, etc.) but seeing CR should not be a requirement to understand or enjoy Bond 22.

I'm now rather hoping for the starting on the steps of the villa---or, more likely, replaying the entire final scene from CR, starting with the gates opening and Mr. White driving onto the villa's grounds, getting the phone call, getting his kneecap blown off, Bond standing on the steps and introducing himself---then the interruption which incites the action of the PTS.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Loeff you're a rebel. :v {[]

But I think 2 minutes after means like, Bond is hustling White into the car and Organization goons show up and try to kill Bond/White, and Bond has to bring White in--alive. It's Madagascar revisitied, but Bond does his job better this time, White only has a bullet hole in his knee. ;)

A car chase with injured but conscious White trying to muddle Bond's driving, while Organization goons are also shooting at them, sounds like an okay PTS to me. Just really want to see Craig's Bond in a car chase at some point.
  • a rogue AIa rogue AI Posts: 128MI6 Agent
    I think a certain spectre looms over CR, Bond 22 and 23. Since it was largely influenced, in terms of how to be a successful reboot, from Batman Begins, the current Bond films need (imo, at least) their version of the Joker's calling card, seen at the end of Batman.

By that I am referring to a return of Blofeld and SP.E.C.T.R.E. (I LOVE those two words). I wonder if the 'Joker calling card' comes at the end of Bond 22 and sets up 23, or they disregard that and have him in 22. The logical option is the former, I guess. Similar to TB. Regarding SPECTRE, I supposed it'll be in both films.

Maybe, we had our version of the Joker card and we missed it, distracted by the Bond, James Bond line. Subtly, hinted at, SPECTRE was re-introduced at the final 3rd of CR, albeit a much updated version of it.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Originally I fought a straight sequel was a bad idea but now i've had a change of heart.
    1. Firstly, it is one of the few confirmed things about Bond 22.
    2. Secondly, It can explain the background of Mr White and Le Cheriffe and maybe it could be a large criminal organization like SPECTRE/SMERSH
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    a rogue AI: "By that I am referring to a return of Blofeld and SP.E.C.T.R.E. (I LOVE those two words)."

Aw. We love you too!

{[]
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    There seems to be an obsession at the moment about QOS being the first true sequel in the history of the Bond movies. I feel this is not true:

1. FRWL clearly is a sequel to Dr No. Sylvia Trench mentions that Bond has been to Jamaica and not been seen for 6 months. Later on Kronstein mentions avanging Dr No's death.

2. Goldfinger is a sequel to Dr No too. In Miami Bond tells Felix that the enemy got a lot closer to him in Jamaica.

These are the only two bits of evidence I can find. Any others?
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    I would like to see them follow up on certain elements from CR, but obliquely - for instance;

Bond should be haunted by Vesper - conflicted by his love for her and her betrayal. I would like to see her return in a nightmare. oo7 should drink to much and become very, very ruthless with women.

I agree totally. That is how I would like QoS to be as well. ...in fact, isn't that why Bond was quite ruthless with woman in the earlier Bond films, becasue of his betrayal of Vesper? (this is where my lack of reading the material, makes my arguments/opinions less educated, forgive me ;) )

If we see Bond on the steps of Mr White's villa in the PTS it wouldn't bother me at all, in fact, I was on the understanding it was ?:)

Anyway, I have a feeling that QoS will be very much a "sequel". Now whether or not you have to see CR to be able to watch it, well, any true Bond fan, or new Bond fan, to think of it, probably will see or have seen CR anyway. It's been quite heavily reported that it is following on from CR, so to really understand Bond's motives, it probably would be ideal to have watched CR (and what a good marketing ploy that is :v )
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • FitzochrisFitzochris Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    This is how I'd like it.

Two white dots cross the screen. The gunbarrel appears and Craig walks and shoots to a terrific Bond score.

The circle wavers as usual and then opens up on Mr White's villa. Inside we see him strapped to a chair as in the trailer and he's being interrogated by Bond and M.

White's goons show up. Shhot out. Bond has to get M and White out of there. Car chase.

Opening credits...
  • hacketthackett Odds change the numbers remainPosts: 197MI6 Agent
    Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but I was so taken by the idea of a sequel that I decided to write a story in Oct 07. It's in the Fan Fiction section entitled "Edge of Treason"
    If you can't wait for Oct 31st please feel free to read what just might happen.
    I would appreciate some feedback, to steer me in the right direction for the follow up (not a sequel)