Stromberg vs Drax

GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
Who is better? Stromberg of Drax.

I believe that Stromberg is better. Stromberg was in a much better movie but it seemed like Stromberg had more personality.

On the other hand, both of them are very wealthy and have nice living quarters. I think that Atlantis with a shark pool is better than a huge French castle though.

They practically have the same plan but different places. Stromberg has the ocean floor and Drax has space. Both of them are playing God but in their own way.

It seems that Stromberg can actually keep his henchmen in line unlike Drax. Jaws did much better when he worked with Stromberg.

My point is that Stromberg and Drax are equals in almost every way. But it seems that Stromberg is more evil and more diabolical than Drax.

What do you think?

Comments

• JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Although I prefer TSWLM as a film, by a long shot, I prefer Drax to Stromberg. Drax just felt so evil and so convincing. Stromberg however just felt like a poor Blofeld clone who just sat on his arse.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Drax was definitely more evil - Strom was even trying to find an excuse to his activities a la the modern civilization being already destined for destruction. Drax was in contrast just creating a new super-race and wanted to beacome God at God's place.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    In a fight, Stromberg could pull Drax's beard.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I love both villains, but IMO Stromberg was superior. :o Blofeld aside, Stromberg was among the first of the villains who wanted to take over/destroy the world, and was obviously a madman, but was wasn't a 'raving psychotic' like Zorin like Max Zorin. He was casual and elegent, gentlemenly and upper-class, yet had no compulsion in killing millions of people in order to achieve his vision.

I think that Drax was a superb villain, however IMO he was a replicate of sorts of Stromberg; a brilliant replicate but IMO a replicate nonetheless. The other thing that Stromberg arguably has over Drax is that TSWLM was a vastly superior film to MR.

One last thing; IMO the Moore era produced many of the greatest villains of all time, with Stromberg and Drax being IMO two examples of this. Although I liked Sanchez, Alec and Electra, Stromberg and Drax were IMO the last truly great main villains the series has produced thus far.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    . He was casual and elegent, gentlemenly and upper-class, yet had no compulsion in killing millions of people in order to achieve his vision.

Many of the leading Nazis were extrememly cultured. They eologised about Wagner while drawing up plans to send people to the gas chambers.

A calm controlled villain is much more frightening then a gibbering loon (thats why I cant put Zorin in the great villains category). A man who appears rational while he is planning to end the world is most frightening of all.

I have to say Stromberg as the "I wish to conduct my life on my own terms" put meat on the bone to his plan. You believe he would sit out a nuclear holocause from the bottom of the ocean.
  • RoebuckRoebuck UKPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    Curt Jurgens was a great choice for a Bond villain who should have had more screen time.
    Lonsdale had more opportunity to develop his character and sharper dialogue.
    For that reason alone, out of two fine actors, Drax gets my vote.
  • Kirk James KirkKirk James Kirk Posts: 190MI6 Agent
    This is a tough decision, as I love both characters... a lot. Stromberg is in the better film, while Drax has more character development. Drax also has better lines. Stromberg's "tell them the burial was at sea" line is classic Bond.
    I have a soft spot for Lonsdale, as he was terrific in Day of the Jackyl and Ronin, but I'll have to give the nod to Stromberg.
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    Drax was WAAAAAAAYYYY better. End of discussion
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Both sucked. Not the actors' fault, they had little to do but say silly things. Both were great examples of unrealized potential stuck in cartoon films. What it was back then.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,971MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    actonsteve wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    . [Stromberg...] was casual and elegent, gentlemenly and upper-class, yet had no compulsion in killing millions of people in order to achieve his vision.

Many of the leading Nazis were extrememly cultured. They eologised about Wagner while drawing up plans to send people to the gas chambers.

This reminded me of the fact that Curt Jurgens was also brilliantly cast as a cultured and elegant German Ambassador, who is given short shrift by Ralph Richardson in a scene near the beginning of Harry Saltzman's / Guy Hamilton's 'Battle Of Britain'. Jurgens was ideal for these kinds of parts.

As an actor, Michel Lonsdale perhaps has greater versatility. My feelings about Drax's evil were compromised by the fact that I remembered how likeable Lonsdale's equally obsessive but heroic detective character is in 'The Day Of The Jackal'.

Shady Tree
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.