Telegraph: James Bond is 'dated', Matt Damon says

2»

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited August 2007
    It is perfectly valid to criticise a director's style. I am sure that Michael Bay's film by a thousand cuts directorial flourishes are technically very clever, but personally I find it thoroughly irritating and ever so slightly vomit inducing. Shaky-cam is increasingly prevalent to give that "doco" look, but a lot of people don't like it, and that's that.

I agree. Handheld can be very effective in certain sequences/situations, but IMO if overused it can become a crutch. I prefer it during moments of chaotic action---Saving Private Ryan comes to mind (in that case it was amplified, because I've heard that frames were actually removed at random points)---but constant use can dilute its effectiveness. Not every scene calls for such insistent docudrama-style immediacy, in my own humble opinion.

Very subjective, all of this, naturally. Everything has a fan...and a detractor.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I can't see how Bond can be dated because we get a new completely different exciting adventure with each installment to suit everyones taste. Unlike boring Bourne. LTK for american action blockbuster films and Miami Vice fans, CR for Bourne fans and gritty spy thriller, Moonraker for the Star Wars fan, GF for people who prefer the older classics with all the elements and YOLT for 12-year-oldboys who like Ninjas, Volcanos, madcap plots, evil vilians etc. So why say that?
    207qoznfl4.gif