Is Judi Denchs' M a lush?

This is a little bit of light hearted joshing. I'm no fan of the Brosnan era but someone pointed out today that M in the Judi Dench guise likes a tipple. Or two.

Evidence

Goldeneye - "the sexist misoygnist dinosaur" speech, shes knocking it back like a good 'un

TND - in the official car she is having a swift one. Shes obviously seen the script and reaches for the whisky

TWINE - She and Mr King are having a giggle in her office when Bond enters. Both have obviously been at the drink. And her looking adoring at David Calder shes obviously abit squiffy "your my best friend you are??"

DAD - Cant think of an obvious one but the Falco line " If you cant put your own house in order we'll come over and do it for you.." He's obviously heard about M's drink problem and wants to sort it out before she rolls in stinking and presses the nuclear button.

She's obviously a security risk, bless 'er, and should be pensioned off to the home for old soaks.

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    haha thx for that, it gave me a good laugh
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Looks like DC sobered her up!

She doesn't "tipple" at all in CR.

{[]
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    I was always interested by how much liquor she put away during the Brosnan era...Technically, IMO she's not really the same person in CR, so it's hard to say.

We'll see if she's hitting the sauce by #22 :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    We'll see if she's hitting the sauce by #22 :))
    After all that Craig's Bond puts her through (breaking into her home, disobeying her) I wouldn't be surprised if she's drinking by Bond 22. :v
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    actonsteve wrote:
    DAD - Cant think of an obvious one but the Falco line " If you cant put your own house in order we'll come over and do it for you.." He's obviously heard about M's drink problem and wants to sort it out before she rolls in stinking and presses the nuclear button.

I believe there is a glass apparent behind her on a table or something in this scene- really don't want to look again!

But really; having a swift whiskey in the car on the way to an airport whilst a massive political situation is brewing is... weird.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Don't forget that Bernard Lee's M wasn't averse to a snifter or two. In GF, he's perfectly happy to knock back a substandard brandy that everyone else has turned their nose up at, and he's downing champers in OHMSS and sherries in DAF. Only boring old Robert Brown doesn't seem to have partaken, but that's not certain; I'm sure he had probably been on a few whiskies at Ascot, if only so he could bear to look at Moneypenny's awful frock.

As for Judi Dench's M, I wouldn't be surprised if she was hammered during CR. She's swearing like a trooper, she looks permanently harassed and dishevelled, and that note that Bond found in his Aston Martin from her? It's full text was I love ya Bond. I really love ya, ya old poof. You're my besht mate you are. Come over ere and givvus a hug. Come on. Don't be shy.

Mind you, given that 007 practically inhales alcohol, Moneypenny is permanently flirtatious and giddy, and Q acts like the miserable old drunk who sits in the corner of every backstreet pub spending his pension on halves, I think it's safe to say that the whole of MI6 is sloshed on a full time basis. No wonder they're so keen to go abroad at a moment's notice - think of all the duty free...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Don't forget that Bernard Lee's M wasn't averse to a snifter or two. In GF, he's perfectly happy to knock back a substandard brandy that everyone else has turned their nose up at, and he's downing champers in OHMSS and sherries in DAF.

In DAF, M most have done some damage by that time, since he was on doctor's orders to not drink heavily, butressed by Bond's comment 'Pity about your liver, sir"
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    And of course there is the evidence of TWINE.

Why have a station house in Scotland? I'll tell you the answer! Glenfiddich! Thats the answer. The accountants have been trying to restructure the Loch Ness station house for years but M keeps vetoing it.

Even at Robert Kings funeral she sneaked away to the local SPAR supermarket and got a few choice bottles under her blouse. She has a few swigs behind the gravestones before staggering back to the funeral..

"Did I missht somefink?"