Luciano Paluzzi-the best villainess ever

zooeyhallzooeyhall Posts: 8MI6 Agent
edited August 2007 in The James Bond Films
Watching Thunderball on DVD the other night, I am very impressed by Luciano Paluzzi as Fiona Volpe in that movie. She was terrific! She is the meanest, sexiest, bitchiest woman Bond has ever come up against!

I just love the scene where she is talking to Largo, and he says that Bond must be killed. She replies: "You want to kill him because he makes love to your [contemptuously flicks cigarette away] 'woman'?"

And how about the line: "James Bond---who only has to make love to a woman and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing. She immediately repents and returns to the side of right and virtue. But not THIS one---phah!"

I was wondering whatever happened to her. Did she appear in any other Bond movies?

Comments

• bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Zooeyhall...I agree 1000% percent.

Best. Bond Villianess. Ever.

"Strange as it may seem...I've grown accustomed to your face."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    zooeyhall wrote:
    I was wondering whatever happened to her. Did she appear in any other Bond movies?

No, the lovely Luciana didn't appear again in a Bond film. Most of her work has been in European cinema/TV, with an English-speaking appearance only from time to time.
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    Not sure if you can call her the best Bond villainess that definitely goes to Rosa Klebb or Irma Bunt (Electra King was overwritten and came across ineffectual)

But she is certainly the best vamp the series produced. Theres just such a touch of class about Paluzzi.

She went on the marry a British jewish businessmen and became Luciana Paluzzi Solomon. Lives in some luxury along the Thames I here.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    She's a wonderful villainess. I don't think she was the greatest ever (I preferred Rosa Klebb and Xenia Onatopp) but she was certainly brilliant. She was beautiful, deadly, superbly acted and written and proved a real challenge for Bond.

In response to the topic, I would say no (she would be third on my list) but she certainly remains among the absolute greatest villainesses Bond has ever dealt with.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Its hard to compare Kleb and Bunt with Fiona - they are so very different.

As for Xenia - I think fiona is much better, she was created 30 years earlier and I think probably is a little more threatening. Also, more grounded in reality.

Does anybody know the body counts for the two villianesses?
    I'm pretty certain Xenia killed more people (the scene in which she shot all the people was surely more than the number of people Paluzzi killed.) As I said earlier, I think both villainesses were fantastic, however I preferred Xenia (I think she was a more interesting and more distinctive villainess.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    In response to the topic, I would say no (she would be third on my list) but she certainly remains among the absolute greatest villainesses Bond has ever dealt with.

You and your lists. :))

When it comes to Bad Bond Girls, Luciana is #1 as far as I'm concerned. She's incomparably beautiful (although since I'm Italian I freely admit to some bias here) and she really enjoyed being bad. I was crestfallen when she was finally dispatched; she could have easily persuaded me to switch sides and put on a SPECTRE ring. :007)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I have stated in the past that Paluzzi is the best bad girl ever. She is extremely hot, oozes sexuality and is very menancing. My kind of girl.

If you ever get a chance to see Bond Girls are Forever, she is interviewed in the movie and despite being a number of years older still looked great. She is my favorite.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    I have stated in the past that Paluzzi is the best bad girl ever. She is extremely hot, oozes sexuality and is very menancing. My kind of girl.

If you ever get a chance to see Bond Girls are Forever, she is interviewed in the movie and despite being a number of years older still looked great. She is my favorite.

And if you want to see ... ahem ... more of Luciana Paluzzi, you may want to check out The Sensuous Nurse, an Italian sex farce from the mid 1970s that also stars Ursula Andress. It isn't exactly War and Peace but there are some laughs to be had and it is easy on the eyes.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    There can and will never be another Fiona Volpe, IMO. Xenia & Co. are fun, but they are ultimately just variations on the original prototype from 1965.

What's great about Luciana Paluzzi, aside from her performance, is how dear she seems to hold the franchise and those she worked with. I had no idea until I watched the TB DVD extras, but she and Terence Young were extremely close -- in fact, her gave her away at her wedding. She has always seemed to view herself as part of a tight-knit family, and that's nice to see.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent

Word Barry. :) I so agree. She is still lovely today. I love when she takes her hair down in Thunderball, she has that total 60's sex kitten look. And that scene with her and Bond in bed with pillow talk of the bars making her feel like a caged animal... :o Very hot! Especially for back then!
    edited August 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    You and your lists. :))
    :)) I aim to please. Say what you want about me, but at least with me you always know what you'll get. ;)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    There can and will never be another Fiona Volpe, IMO. Xenia & Co. are fun, but they are ultimately just variations on the original prototype from 1965.

Full agreement.Fiona's the original--while Xenia and Fatima are only pale imitations.Fiona's an exquisite diamond--while by contrast, the other ladies are merely pretty little zircons.

And on a physical level,Luciana is really so much more beautiful than the majority of any of the other Bond girls in the series--the good ones and the bad ones alike--who followed in her wake.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Paluzzi equals perfection.

Not only does the glorious one top my fav Bond femme fatale entry, she occupies many an other movie on my dvd shelf. Tony's suggestion of The Sensuous Nurse is a good 'un. But I also recommend "Muscle Beach Party" where the Contessa attempts to steal Frankie from Annette!

Then there's "The Green Slime". A deliriously fun ride ;)