Who was the inspiraton for Elliott Carver?

Carver in my opinion was a shocking villain overplayed by Jonathan Pryce and a director who didnt understand that Bond villains need menace first, ham acting second...

However, the premise was good - global media baron starting a war to up his circulation. It was a good premise (bad execution) by Bruce Ferstein.

So who was the inspiration?

Ruper Murdoch

famously was first in to crack Communist China. Utterly ruthless and owns most of the schlock publications around the world.

W D Hearst

The author of "yellow journalism" and inspiration for "Citizen Kane". Lived in his palatial castle overlooking the pacific. Famously said of the American-Cuban war "you provide the pictures and I'll provide the war.."

Robert Maxwell

Corpulent madman who died in mysterious circumstances. Captain Bob was a Fleet Street horror bullying his way through London. The Judi Dench line about "Carver falling overboard" is probably an allusion to him.

John Birt

Most people wont know him but this man ran the BBC in the nineties. It was known as the "Birt regime" which crushed opposition ruthlessly and ended with redundancies for 60% of his staff. Likened to a dalek shrieking "Exterminate! Exterminate!"

Carver is an amalgamation of all of these probably...

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    I completely agree with you about Carver :o (we actually agree on something involving the Brosnan films. :D) In answer to your question, I had always assumed that he was inspired by Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch bought his first US TV station in the 80's (which meant that he owned both TV stations and newspapers) and established himself in the 90's as one of the most powerful media owners in the world. He also possesses several Carver-like qualities. ;) Carver may have been based on all of the people that you mentioned, but if I had to pick one, I would pick Murdoch.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I've always thought it was Ted Turner, CEO of CNN.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Bill Gates?
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    He's a little of all of the above - perhaps the worst aspects of them all in one big media villain. Also add in Harold Harmsworth, founder of the Daily Mail, who gave his readers a "daily hate" and was pro-appeasement with the Nazis and the blackshirt fascist movement. Indeed, Carver was originally named Elliott Harmsway, until the lawyers had a quiet word! Ironically, the printing presses subsequently used for filming were in Harmsworth Quay, in London.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    I'd say the only original thing about TND is the press baron as a villain. Shame they had the hammy Pryce to play it.

You needed someone like Jason Robards or Richard Burton to give it real menace.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited August 2007
    I'm quite alone in this, apparently, but I loved Jonathan Pryce's Elliott Carver---the closest thing to a Classic Bond, 'Old School' villain Brozzer ever confronted. To paraphrase Kingsley Amis, the fellow simply luxuriated in villainy, and obviously had a great time whilst trying to start the next World War :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I'm quite alone in this, apparently, but I loved Jonathan Pryce's Elliott Carver---the closest thing to a Classic Bond, 'Old School' villain Brozzer ever confronted. To paraphrase Kingsley Amis, the fellow simply luxuriated in villainy, and obviously had a great time whilst trying to start the next World War :v

Actually Loeffs, I liked Pryce's performance too, it was over the top, but the character was over the top. A media baron in love with the empire he has created who wants to control the news, not report the news.

Blue - Your Bill Gates idea is way off base in my opinion.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Jetset' is right about Harmsway, and I believe he was an acquaintance of Fleming or his wife's. From a bizarrely informative book published last year about Ian Fleming, it's said that Fleming had a rough draft for a movie in which Bond takes on a media mogul called Harmsway, but nothing came of it. Can't remember the details.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017