Replica ? Goldfinger Hat Worn by Bond Question.....

I purchased an old bond style hat matching the one he wore in Goldfinger. The hat is clearly labeled "Bond" in broad large letters on the leather band on the interior of the hat. It seems to be a 40 year old piece of movie memorabilia......looks exactly like the hat worn in the movie, says Bond on the band...it's somewhat aged but intact. Does anyone know of these hats? It is not the Odjob bowler. Any info appreciated.

Comments

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Pictures?
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Bond Clothiers were a major US institution throughout the 1950s and '60s with large stores in cities like Los Angeles and New York (you often see the fifty foot tall BOND sign in vintage photos of Times Square). Bond were primarily known for their men's suits though they produced all manner of clothing for both sexes. I suspect that Bond the haberdasher benefited from the more or less concurrent popularity of Bond the spy, but they were not connected.

Around about '65 there were a series of licensed, Trilby-type hats labeled Bond but they also featured a title inside the crown ("Dr.No" for example) accompanied by an illustration from Thunderball (regardless of the film reference).

There was lots of Bond-branded clothing and accessories in the 1960s but it's invariably marked "James Bond" (to avoid confusion with the retailer) "by ... " (Lutah, Norvic, or any of a dozen other licensees).
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    I realize the guy essentially registered just to ask the question, but I'm still amazed at the number of people who join AJB to make some "I really need to know ..." post but then never come back!
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited September 2007
    My guess is he is not a true Bond fan, but a person interested in determining rarity in his item so he can turn around and sell it. If you are a true Bond fan you know, for the most part, what is rare and coveted by other Bond fans. Frankly speaking, I don't think I could part with any of my collection no matter the rarity. Moreover, my collection is more for me than it is for other people. I mean it's nice to have fellow Bond fans praise your collection, but for me that's not what it's about.

I remember as a Kid asking my parents for a Sean Connery James Bond doll for christmas one year. Unfortunately in 1969 or 1970, the Gilbert dolls were off the shelves by then. I got a Captain Action instead. That started me looking for 60's era Gilbert doll, which I did not find until the late 80's early 90's.

All of that because I saw Connery as Bond in a triple feature re-release in 1969 or 1970. After that I was hooked. I suppose part of my interest in Bond is about re-capturing my youth.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    My guess is he is not a true Bond fan, but a person interested in determining rarity in his item so he can turn around and sell it. If you are a true Bond fan you know, for the most part, what is rare and coveted by other Bond fans. Frankly speaking, I don't think I could part with any of my collection no matter the rarity. Moreover, my collection is more for me than it is for other people. I mean it's nice to have fellow Bond fans praise your collection, but for me that's not what it's about.

I remember as a Kid asking my parents for a Sean Connery James Bond doll for christmas one year. Unfortunately in 1969 or 1970, the Gilbert dolls were off the shelves by then. I got a Captain Action instead. That started me looking for 60's era Gilbert doll, which I did not find until the late 80's early 90's.

All of that because I saw Connery as Bond in a triple feature re-release in 1969 or 1970. After that I was hooked. I suppose part of my interest in Bond is about re-capturing my youth.

DG

Hey Rick

this post resonated with me....
    feel the same way about my collection (have never sold a single item)

I wanted a gilbert JB and got an Action Man (GI Joe to you?...) instead....one of my first ambitions too..

and my first Bond film was in 1970 (I was 10) and my father gave me a choice, Goldfinger and Thunderball double bill, or Jungle Book....

funny felt like a tough choice at the time :s
    edited September 2007
    See Below
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    edited September 2007
    ke02eww wrote:

DG

Hey Rick

this post resonated with me....
    feel the same way about my collection (have never sold a single item)

I wanted a gilbert JB and got an Action Man (GI Joe to you?...) instead....one of my first ambitions too..

and my first Bond film was in 1970 (I was 10) and my father gave me a choice, Goldfinger and Thunderball double bill, or Jungle Book....

funny felt like a tough choice at the time :s

That's amazing. Funny thing is I wish I still had my original Captain Action too. I did buy the Polar Lights reproduction though. I'm familiar with Action Man too because I am somewhat of a G.I. Joe enthusiast. Hasbro just re-released as a Wal-Mart exclusive here in the states all five members of the Adventure Team with "Kung Fu" grip. I was able to find four out of the five. I guess it's off to Ebay for the AT Man Of Action.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg