Melina and her oxygen cylinder

In FYEO Melina left her oxygen cylinder under water. Later they were caught and tied by Kristatos. While Kristatos thought Melinda and Bond were drowned, Melinda and Bond went to the bottom to get the oxygen cylinder Melinda left.

I wonder why did Melinda left her oxygen cylinder and how did she know that she will need it under water?

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    that's something, which worries me too, everytime I am watching my favourite 007 movie.

Good question, frnkly I have no answer to it.?:)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    She points at the other members of her team scattered around the site before she leaves. The implication is that she wants them to think she is still there, by spotting her bubbles still rising from her part of the temple; she and Bond can then sneak off and chat undisturbed.

Of course you're right, it's dead handy later on!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    edited August 2007
    And therefore she sacrifices an expensive oxygen cylinder? I thought, she was grown-up enough not to be forced to hide her "chatting" with Bond.

Plus, imagine, what would happen, if one from the crew spots the cylinder (bubbling or not) without Melina. Would he just say: "Ok, no need to worry, she surely went away for a discrete chat with someone else without her bottle"?

And your bubbles theory does not make sense to me. If it is really bubbling out that long, there will be not much oxygen left to save their lifes far later....
    Plus to my knowledge on Scubadiving, the mouthpiece automat will prevent any bubbling if you are not breathing in on it - unless you open the connecting valves of course ;)

• jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I didn't say it made sense :) You're right on all your points, but as you yourself have concluded, it's unexplainable otherwise.

Alternative theories:

- she's too lazy to swim back to the surface with it on her back
    - the tank was actually stolen, and so she doesn't dare surface with it in case the police see it
    - she's sharing the tank with another member of the team who is just off camera holding his breath, waiting for his turn
    - she wants to look even better next to Bond's dodgy blue frogman suit.

Any alternatives gratefully received :D
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    edited August 2007
    :))

Maybe she felt the need to compete with Bibi and throw parts of her gear off, at the moment when good old Roger shows up again.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited August 2007
    I guess I have to go with the obvious, deadpan, unfunny explanation: it's a simple plot device, preplanted by the writer, to enable an escape for Bond and Melina when they'll desperately need it. A bit clunky...but then, there we are.

The End :(|)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I suppose now that Bond's frog suit has been mentioned, any problems with the tanks seem trivial.
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    It couldn't be someing as simple as the fact that as they were excavating the underwater temple, a lengthy process, she left the oxygen tank down there so that she'd have a spare to use at a later date when she was spending a long time down there? That's how I've always read that scene anyway.
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming