Hello,I'm new to the game,deal me in?

Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
Greetings,Absolute fellowship! I am a film/sound technician that once had the priviledge,to work with Lamar Borum(underwater photographer-Thunderball)when he was the Cinematographer for the TV series,"Vegas".As a fan of the Espionage genre,in media and literature,Bondology is of course,top of my list.
A PPK and Breitling watch owner,I'm always on the look-out for custom and,unusual 007 gadgetry.
First on the list,would have to be a repro shldr hlstr(FRWL)and eventually,maybe a fuax,metal shroud for my Breitling watch,to simulate the Geiger counter watch,from "Thunderball".
Further down the road,who knows,possibly a late 50's Aston(in my wildest dreams)??
I look forward to my membership here!
Thanks and regards all.

Comments

• EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    'ello! :)
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Over here,stateside,we'd call that shameless spamage.Still,I am new here so thanks,but no thanks to the sci-fi link,Im not much of a Trekkie..
    Nice watch,though!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Hello, I am the pointer to the answers to your needs.

Contact Donald Grant via PM for the shoulder holster you seek.

A Breitling Top-Time is what you want, it didn't have any mods and came straight out of the box like that. Being 40 plus year old design, you might think it next to impossible, but you will find one without too much trouble. Only us Bond fans know thier true worth ;)

The late fifties Aston I can help you with too, but what model, DBIII?
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    welcome

good taste in watches, pistols and cars...

but i missed the joke about trekkies.....

did I miss an episode?...

cheers
    Over here,stateside,we'd call that shameless spamage.Still,I am new here so thanks,but no thanks.Im not much of a Trekkie..nice watch!

That made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever ?:) What's going on?
    edited September 2007
    Sorry about the confusion but the first post reply included a link to some Sci-fi show,rocket toy, spam.Hence,the "Trekkie" comment(Trekkie,is a common reference to Star Trek fans,also extending to general sci-fi follower's)intended as a joke.
    As for the Breitling Top Time,as pictured in Thunderball,being factory original,I have to admit to some surprise.The only examples I've ever seen were somewhat less than extraordinary.Also,I just read through some of Grant's formulative and impressive,shoulder holster discussion's,thanks for the heads up!
    On the subject of Aston Martin's,I obviously have much to learn,although it looks like I've come to the right place.
    Here at abj007,there are true experts as well as,near to real life Q's.
    Glad to be aboard!
    Ahh, I understand now. Eagle was just saying Hi, the link is his signature and was not intended to be directed at you, but I can see how you would come to that conclusion.

This place has to be the best and foremost selection of Bond collecting information on the WWW. The people here combined will be able to tell you ANYTHING you wish to know, and there are experts in pretty much every area, it astounds me how quickly and accurately questions and items are located or made, great stuff {[]

The downside is, how very quickly all your money is spent.
    seconded....

oh and this place is also the friendliest...

minor typographical incongruences masquerading as jokes nearly always backfire into confusion and upset... :s

such is the power of the written word....

but they tend to get sorted out on here before they flare up into a bar room brawl...

then again you could always stick to your own signature... :))
    edited September 2007
    Yes ke02eww,point well taken(ouch? heh-heh)and no offense implied,nor intended,towards Eagle.
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    ...no offense...
    None taken. Except for the Trekkie bit. ;) I HATE Star Trek with a venomous passion. :D

But that's another story.
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm,well then,we'll just avoid any Trek talk,at this juncture? I will say that I now recognize the spaceship,(model)"Eagle" of Space 1999 fame,from your sig/link.Been awhile since that show aired over here but,I always enjoy Martin Landau's work.Coincidentally,I got to meet he and his wife,just briefly when they had arrived here in the states,after that series completed production,many years ago.
    Pardon the OT chat..
    Coincidentally,I got to meet he and his wife,just briefly when they had arrived here in the states,after that series completed production,many years ago.
    Pardon the OT chat..

that would have been around 1978-79?...they went home to USA after S99 was canned in 1978

this was almost the absolute low point of Landau's career, and his marriage to Bain ended shortly after...

when you met them, I guess it would have shown?...such a shame....

course the best Bond connection is Catherine Schell....I had the hots for Maya (a sort of modern day Marina from Stingray, but she talked.. :p )

BTW, this is an awesome site;

http://www.thunderbirdsonline.co.uk/stingray/index.htm

love this pic...

jump.gif

you have to visit this site! :007)
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Hello, I am the pointer to the answers to your needs.

Contact Donald Grant via PM for the shoulder holster you seek.

A Breitling Top-Time is what you want, it didn't have any mods and came straight out of the box like that. Being 40 plus year old design, you might think it next to impossible, but you will find one without too much trouble. Only us Bond fans know thier true worth ;)

The late fifties Aston I can help you with too, but what model, DBIII?

Asp9mm,

Thanks for the good words about my holsters. I answered a PM by the gentleman in question.

I wanted to chime in on the Breitling Top Time. Although the Breitling Top Time did exist out of the box with the black dial and silver sub dials, I have never been able to find one with the exact case that Connery uses. It's true that the Top Time came in two case styles, round and cushion. The cushion being similar to what Connery had but it is not exact. One tell tale sign as to Connery's Top Time having a custom case is the fact that you can't see the chronograph pushers on the case.

My exasperation in not being able to find the exact Top Time led to a conversation with Ed Magianni over at the Spyboys some time ago. He was also of the opinion that the Top Time that Connery wore in Thunderball had a custom case, probably made by the art department to simulate the fact that it had a geiger counter.

I have been putting together the follow up to my original article "Bonding With Time" that will talk about the other watches of Bond. I take my time when writing these because I try not to rely on heresay but the evidentiary material that exists in the form of the films, photograhps books and advertising materials. So called experts do exist, but look at the prototype "U.S. Marine" Rolex that sold at Antiquorum a couple of years back. It is now widely believed to be a fake.

My point of view is that if you are interested in something, whatever it might be, do your own research and make your own decicisions before spending your money. Experts are helpful, but not infallible.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    edited September 2007
    Yes Grant,I concur,the Thunderball Top Time is encased in a faux case/shroud,made of some form of metal,I'm guessing nickel plated tin since stainless was not so common then.
    Also,ke02 that is classic and although I barely remember Marina,Maya is(mmmm)unforgettable.It's odd,with Moonraker being damn near bttom of my Bond list,yet all this Sci-fi has come up,kind of interesting.
    And yes,1999 was likely a pretty low point for Landau,not that he indicated anything of the sort,his marriage also appearing healthy enough,even though when I met them,it was during hospital visit.I think it was early 1980?
    Mrs Landau-Bain had apparently been suffering from the effects of travel,which in her case had resulted in a Migraine condition,poor thing.
    edited September 2007
    Cheers DG, ya learn summat new every day on this site {[] As an adendum to that, remember the 6536 conroversay we had last year? I have since found out that Harry Saltzman gave/bought that particular watch for Mr Young after filming was completed on Dr No. It wasn't therefore used in the fim as the family originally thought. So even getting the story straight from the horses mouth isn't always accurate either :s

PS, hows the ASP casting going :)
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Asp9mm,

That is very interesting to know. That TY/HS 6536 with it's Bond connection make it very collectible indeed.

As for the resin ASP, I have not quite figured out how to do this and maintain the see through aspect of the grips. I thought about casting the ASP sans grips with a magazine full of dummy rounds. Then casting the grips in clear resin. The problems with the clear resin are the bubles since I don't have a vacuum caster.

A solid cast with grips on is easy, but then you lose the look of those sexy lexan grips.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    A solid cast with grips on is easy, but then you lose the look of those sexy lexan grips.

DG

I could live with that if the alternative is nought at all :)