Potter beats Bond

BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,476Chief of Staff
... only at the box office.

For years the Bond films have vied with the Star Wars saga for the title of most successful film franchise, with each holding the top spot at different moments.
Today's news has both beaten for box office big bucks by boy wizard Harry Potter, with Harry Potter And The Order Of the Phoenix making enough to put the Rowling series ahead of Our Man and the George Lucas flicks, now in second and third places respectively.
No more Star Wars planned (AFAIK); two more Potters. Wonder what the situation will be in years to come...?

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Four words:

James Bond Will Return

:007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    The Harry Potter films appeal to a far wider audience imo.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Perhaps this may be true, but the real question is this: why is everyone comparing Potter to Bond? Bond is the benchmark, you see. It seems that everything gets compared to Bond eventually. However Bond is the longest running franchise ever. in the end, after all the other trilogies, sagas and whatnot are over, Bond will still be here.

And as a prospective law student, I rest my case. :D
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Bond is the longest running franchise ever.
    I believe Godzilla holds that distinction.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Bond is the longest running franchise ever.
    I believe Godzilla holds that distinction.

Perhaps, but Godzilla is currently inactive. They may bring him back for another go in 2013 or 2014, but we're not sure if this is true. I do remember hearing they commemorated the end of the films by bringing in in a Godzilla model and had him put his footprints down at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. :)

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/feature/794

In any case, Bond may not be the longest running franchise ever. But about forty-five years? Surely that deserves some credit. Somehow I don't see Harry Potter going that long. ;)
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,738MI6 Agent
    Perhaps this may be true, but the real question is this: why is everyone comparing Potter to Bond?

Umm... because it was number one, and now it's number two. Not for any deep reasons, just because of pure numbers. There's not really any case to make.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    These types of comparisons are always a little dicey because they usually don't take into account the effect of inflation into the dollar amounts quoted. When you factor that in, I have a feeling the order may be a little different.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Nonsense. When you ignore inflation there will probably be record-breaking blockbusters every year. Bond is rated much higher on imdb. Has made more money, been around much longer and has much more fans.
    207qoznfl4.gif
    edited September 2007
    I think the fact that Bond will keep cranking out films for many more years will obviously enable it to outdistance The Boy Who Lived over time---even if the final two Potters do the bazillions everyone expects them to do.

There's only seven Potters, after all...and Bond currently has no expiration date :007)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Eventually Bond will outdistance other franchises, to be sure. But you have to give Harry Potter credit. That franchise did in 5 films what it took Bond to do in 21, and Star Wars in 6. Nothing can ever take that way from HP.

Maybe EON can tap into some of HP's success by incorporating elements of magic..."Walther Reloadus!"
    darenhat wrote:
    Maybe EON can tap into some of HP's success by incorporating elements of magic..."Walther Reloadus!"

:))