Videos/DVDs

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
Just wondering how you collected your Bond DVDs. I got them all on Video with the tapes being made around 2000-ish and then upgraded to DVD with the SE.
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• Walther PPKWalther PPK Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    Well I purchased most of films on video between 1992-1996,which I later sold or gave away after I got a DVD player when I graduated from High School.

Last year I upgraded again with the new versions from the box sets, as they have the two disc for each film with the bonus stuff, in addition to restored picture and sound. In the US major retailer also sell the films separately without the second disc, just the improved picture and sound along with the audio commetary. I like how the new disc cases a smaller and lighter so they don't take up as much space on my bookshelf as the 1999 and 2000 DVD's did.
  • lockerslockers CanberraPosts: 64MI6 Agent
    Got the videos first through the Time Life deal they had here, then upgraded to a couple of the DVDs. The finally the box set came out unfortunately the briefcase set came out after I bought this one. One question on the DVDs I have seen a picture of Timothy Dalton in TLD on a rug sliding down wires on the rooftop on Tangiers I think it is but its not in my DVD. Is there a copy out there somewhere with this in it
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    I bought the SE DVDs when my local retailer had a sale. Then I won the complete TimeLife VHS collection on ebay from a lady who lived in a nearby suburb. Then I purchased the UE DVD briefcase which I adore!
    To pay for my recent wedding, I sold my SE DVD collection, which made more money for me than what they cost to purchase. I guess because the SE DVDs were no longer available in the stores.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who keeps buying these movies over and over again.

My brother and I first bought all the Bond films available on the old RCA Video Disc format back in the early 80's. Once that went belly up, we repurchased everything again on VHS tape in the late 80's. That was followed by buying them up again on Laserdisc in the 90's when we discovered widescreen movies. After Laserdisc went the way of the dodo, we purchased the SE DVD editions a few years ago. Turns out the mastering on those special edition DVD's isn't all that great for many of the older, pre-Brosnan movies when viewed thru a hi-def TV. So, we recently got the Ultimate Editions as well.

Hopefully, the UE versions will be the last we pick up for a long time. Of course, I'm sure somebody will release them on one of the hi-def DVD formats before too long.
  • saint-antoinesaint-antoine CanadaPosts: 209MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    I used to rent the movies in the early 80's (CBS/ FOX releases). I then taped the movies from local TV airings. In the early 1990's I bought the MGM VHS tapes which I sold when I purchased the Special Edition DVDs. I recently sold the Special Edition DVDs when I bought the UE and I am very happy with this purchase. I also know that I will have to buy again CR on a upcoming Special Edition (I bought the initial release which was somewhat of a dissapointment to me) but I can live with that. What does all this mean ? It means I don't mind buying the movies every few years as long as I feel that I am getting something extra not available before for my money. By acting fast on the selling of the movies that I was upgrading from VHS to DVD and the from SE DVD to UE DVD I almost always got even or lost very little money. The great thing about the Bond movies is that they are never available for very long so their resale value is always pretty high which is a good thing when selling them becomes necessary to upgrade to newer more complete releases...