YOLT Reproduction Props FS

I never think to post about auctions 'til after-the-fact so giving it a try while they're running this time!

Have a genuine Gyrojet shell and replica throwing star on the block for five days only:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300150051128&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=020

Comments

• Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    Wow! Now THAT is an expensive bullett! Seems a fair price if you're a YOLT/Connery fan?
    Gawd, when I think of all the Gyro jet pistols and rifles I've seen with YOLT documentation for sale at various Southern California gun shows. Some as cheap as $450-700!
    Oh well, I hear there are blueprints out there and, of course, the crazy things were sooo stupid/simple in design that they barely qualified as a firearm. Should be easy enough to replicate a non-firing version if someone hasn't already? Maybe even UK law freindly?
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    started off the bidding...LOVE the auction pics!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent
    The rocket bullets were real? I never knew that; why would you need a bullet to go faster? :)
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Gawd, when I think of all the Gyro jet pistols and rifles I've seen with YOLT documentation for sale at various SouthernCalifornia gun shows. Some as cheap as $450-700!

When I first started looking into Gyrojets, that's exactly what I heard: "You can easily find one for US$ 450." But since then I've yet to see anything under about US$ 1,250 regardless of condition and up to roughly US$ 3,000 for a presentation model. I think some of these owners are just out to show-off what they have with no intention of actually selling; even experts acknowledge that prices have gotten unrealistic.

As for YOLT provenance, not quite sure if you're questioning it or observing how common it was. The fact is, if the manufacturing date on a Gyrojet 13mm is pre-'67, chances are it was in the film; once MBA convinced EON to include the guns in YOLT they found they had a problem: They didn't have enough stock on hand to fill-out the Ninja arsenal scenes. Instead, they wound-up contacting customers in order to borrow back guns for the sequence.
    emtiem wrote:
    The rocket bullets were real? I never knew that; why would you need a bullet to go faster? :)

Traditional bullets leave a gun already at maximum velocity and immediately begin slowing down. The idea behind the Gyrojet was that as a "rocket," the "bullet" would gather speed, striking the target at maximum velocity and thus achieving maximum penetration/damage as well.

Though I've corresponded quite alot with an expert on Gyrojet and read-up some, I'm not clear on how effective the shells were. We know the accuracy was dreadful, I'm wondering about the damage factor; the cartridges seem too large and blunt to have been very effective, but then again, maybe the velocity overcame that (assuming the bullet "launched;" apparently there were alot of duds).

Too, I'd like to know if it's true that when fired you could put your finger over the barrel and stop the shell; again, the gun was basically there to ignite the fuel in the bullet ... it didn't achieve any real speed for a hundred yards or more.
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    spot on...the objective was achive maximum velocity at impact, over great distance (for a pistol)....

I had a play with the real thing at the Baptys/Christies auction in Dec...and was all goosed up to bid when it was withdrawn at the last second on the insistence of .......

Anyway, it's an amazing pistol....nice feel, although it feels as flimsy as it looks....a little "tinny"....:s

real piece of bond-san-history...{[]
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Hey Paul,

Alistair at Worthings had one for sale a few months back, not screen used but still cool.

Isn't it past your bedtime;)
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Hey Paul,

Alistair at Worthings had one for sale a few months back, not screen used but still cool.

Isn't it past your bedtime;)

thx...i'll check with him...

and no....who needs sleep....you can sleep as much as you like when you're dead..:007)
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    That may be so my friend, but I am indeed dead. Goodnight...
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:
    Anyway, it's an amazing pistol....nice feel, although it feels as flimsy as it looks....a little "tinny"....

To some extent, I think that was the point. That is, by making the gun from aluminum--aside from reducing manufacturing cost--it became much lighter, easier to handle, carry, etc.

I actually find them awkward to hold. Minus the side panels the fit is okay, but in place, the grip seems mammoth.

Overall, you have to acknowledge MBA for rethinking a concept that had gone unchanged for a hundred years or more, even if it didn't succeed. On the other hand, I am amazed that they went as far as they did with something that was ultimately really unworkable. Indeed, I'm under the impression that when they finally ceased business, MBA were on the run from creditors and still owe money.