Raymond Benson

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
Lets admit it. Bond is running out of idead. Almost all Fleming material has being adapted and the original stories never quite capture the magic of the books. Anyway... allthough not a huge bond novel fan myself I have flicked through some Ian Fleming and Raymond Benson myself (John Gardner wasn't that good) and think the Benson novels, although not the best, would be the best to adapt into Bond films. The main ones include the UNION trilogy which would a great trilogy of Bond films with a new Bond (Like PB) and The Man With The Red Tattoo is highly praised and I can imagien that as a film myself. Any more comments?
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
    I agree. I think films could be made of the Benson novels. I think The Man With The Red Tattoo could be darn good, as would High Time to Kill.
    www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Any more reply's?
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    I've enjoyed most of Raymond Benson's 007 novels.He certainly has my highest respect as perhaps the foremost expert on Ian Fleming's writings.Kingsley Amis once acknowledged that in his own case,writing a James Bond continuation novel was ultimately a thankless task.It was impossible to match Fleming in the eyes of the public.It's certainly a challenge to take on such a popular character and hope to handle it as adroitly as its creator had.

In Benson's case,writing 007's further adventures had to have been extremely trying, because as he's pointed out in various interviews,he was writing for two very different audiences--people who were fans of Ian Fleming's novels and also the general filmgoers who expected something resembling the movies(and sometimes had no interest at all in the literary 007).And like John Gardner,Benson had difficulty getting the titles he wanted for his books approved by his editors.

I think Benson's stories are sometimes dismissed too easily.Yes of course,he's not Ian Fleming, but his obvious knowledge and affection for the characters and the world Fleming created rings true to me.He makes a real effort to come up with stories that seem in character with those Fleming wrote and I definitely appreciate that.Not every Benson book is a success perhaps, but in fairness,that's also true of some of Fleming's stuff.In my opinion, "The Union Trilogy" is one of his highpoints,along with Doubleshot.I'm a hardcore Ian Fleming fan but I don't dislike any of Benson's Bond books.

===========

That said,I don't believe Eon will ever film an official James Bond continuation novel.My reasoning is that Eon will not want to do deal with the authors of the continuation Bond books (or their estates) when they can instead do business with the estate of Ian Fleming.More than anything else,money's probably the big reason.

Eon may fear that if they choose to make a Bond film that's based upon a continuation novel,then that book's author(or representatives)-- even though he wrote what amounts to work-for-hire for the Fleming Estate--could be tempted to bring in an army of lawyers in an effort to make more money off of the film itself.And who knows what a sympathetic judge might decide.It's understandable that Eon is extremely protective of their rights.

The last time Eon was in court, there was a six year period during which time no James Bond films were made.I don't think they're interested in going through that again.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    It probably is unlikely but I can still imagine some great films becoming of them. Anyway as long as it isn't anytime soon I wouldn't mind a gap. After all, after so many golden bond films it's bound to happen sometime in the next 20years.
    207qoznfl4.gif