Nato watch strap

2»

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    ... and as I finished typing the above I decided to take a few naff pics on my phone. Who can identify the watches? DG, you are not included ;)

1019.jpg

1014.jpg

1018.jpg
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    edited September 2007
    Yeah baby, that's a 14060 on a Bond strap. Definately not any newer that 2001. Bloody superb watch {[]
  • BillythekidBillythekid Posts: 33MI6 Agent
    NICE ! ... any clearer photos of your RN Rolex (perhaps a caseback shot) ? Many thanks and Kind Regards -

B.

PS i'm fine with everyone's opinion about the strap ; though i still disagree - i'll not beat the horse any longer :)) I am having some made with the red stripe though - so i guess i can have both to wear on my 5513 !
    NICE ! ... any clearer photos of your RN Rolex (perhaps a caseback shot) ? Many thanks and Kind Regards -

B.

PS i'm fine with everyone's opinion about the strap ; though i still disagree - i'll not beat the horse any longer :)) I am having some made with the red stripe though - so i guess i can have both to wear on my 5513 !

I don't want to publish my caseback info just in case some wally copies it and tries to pass it off as real. I'm sure you appreciate that, it is unique to my watch afterall. As far as you going for the red-stripe option, good for you. We may be wrong of course, and it does appear on celluloid as striped in red, so does it make it MORE screen accurate? Maybe ;)
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Asp9mm,

That looks like an RM 5517 and a Panerai. Very nice and drool worthy, particularly the 5517. I do love Panerai though, particularly the vintages with the Rolex movements like the 3646, the 6152-1 and 6154.

By the way you said something about having custom straps made. I'd love to see one like the Connery/Bond with the thick middle black stripe and propper keeper. Tell me more about how you go about commissioning one. Perhaps we can do something as a group.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Isn't the foreground watch a Panerai UDT?
    edited September 2007
    Asp9mm,

That looks like an RM 5517 and a Panerai. Very nice and drool worthy, particularly the 5517. I do love Panerai though, particularly the vintages with the Rolex movements like the 3646, the 6152-1 and 6154.

By the way you said something about having custom straps made. I'd love to see one like the Connery/Bond with the thick middle black stripe and propper keeper. Tell me more about how you go about commissioning one. Perhaps we can do something as a group.

DG

DG, you were banned from that comp 8-) You are absolutely right of course 5517 and PAM 111.

I had the straps made from Phoenix straps originals and then got an artist to add a thin stripe in indian ink. They were really good and I had them done ten years back, it cost me a small fortune for what it was. Since then though, I believe that the red stripe is not really there and used them both on my scruffing about watches. It is quite simple to do if you know somebody in the art world.

The stripes on these were not accurate and neither were the keepers, they were stock 1997 Phoenix jobbies.
    Sure - i completely understand in regard to the caseback :) ! How about just a good dial shot ? Those 5517s are truely awesome.

TIA and Best Regards,

Billy
    Asp9mm,

DG

A friend has a good contact with a company who produces straps - Maratac ; he's looking into getting the straps made up. I'll certainly post a link or any further info ASAP.

Kind Regards,

B.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Asp9mm,

DG

DG, you were banned from that comp 8-) You are absolutely right of course 5517 and PAM 111.

I had the straps made from Phoenix straps originals and then got an artist to add a thin stripe in indian ink. They were really good and I had them done ten years back, it cost me a small fortune for what it was. Since then though, I believe that the red stripe is not really there and used them both on my scruffing about watches. It is quite simple to do if you know somebody in the art world.

The stripes on these were not accurate and neither were the keepers, they were stock 1997 Phoenix jobbies.

Sorry about that. I mis-read it. With respect to the custom strap, oh. Still, I wonder if Phoenix would make the propper Bond strap with thick black center stripe, no metal loops and propper keeper. Perhapps we could commission it.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm,

You really do have some nice watches there, but then you know that! Appreciate the "naff pics".

Would love to see a "screen type" watchband produced. Count me in on the custom run!
    Count me in as well,for a group buy.Especially if it's a Phoenix type,Goldfinger version.
  • patjanuspatjanus Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    hi! i'm new here and I wanna throw my 2 cents in the strap debate
    I was watching carefully the ultimate editon dvds and the goldfinger and thunderball strap is exactly the same , and the red stripe is very clear, what I heard is that it was in fact guy hamilton's rolex ,that's what I heard!
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    yes you are quite right its the same watch in goldfinger and thunderball..

In dr no bond wears terance youngs rolex i know this for 100% fact

i cannot confirm if bond wears guy hamiltons watch.
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    ok..ok...sorry but those of us who wear our watches simultaneously every day are finding this a little crass...

IMGA0025.jpg

clearly I trust the O with current time... ;)
    the PO is Pasadena time (my mothership-8hours behind) so I can keep an eye on when they are about to launch their intercontinental ballistic emails...all 1001 of them..:o

and my Roller is set to the time in a nice little boozer in Cork, Ireland, so I can ring them up and order my Guinness, then walk in the door as they finish pooring it...True Class.. B-)

oh and this is the same shot taken by Jonathon with the box brownie he used on his shots above :))

IMGA0022.jpg
    patjanus wrote:
    hi! i'm new here and I wanna throw my 2 cents in the strap debate
    I was watching carefully the ultimate editon dvds and the goldfinger and thunderball strap is exactly the same , and the red stripe is very clear, what I heard is that it was in fact guy hamilton's rolex ,that's what I heard!

Finally, I'm with Jonathon/ASP9mm on the red stripe....can't always see it, which implies it's a camera/lighting effect...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h160/pw86/gf31.jpg

maybe they too used box brownies....:))

but i'm in with the straps purchase if we have any luck....
    yes you are quite right its the same watch in goldfinger and thunderball..

In dr no bond wears terance youngs rolex i know this for 100% fact

i cannot confirm if bond wears guy hamiltons watch.

I cut and pasted the following from my article "Bonding With Time:

"According to the book James Bond the Legacy (John Cork and Bruce Scivally, Boxtree 2002, IBSN 0-8109-3296-2), great care was taken to insure that James Bond in his first outing in Dr. No had the right look, wore the right clothes and in general had the right style. This extended even to Bond's surroundings and accessories. Bond would not just drink champagne, it would be Dom Perignon, and "he could not just wear a watch, it needed to be a Rolex". When Rolex declined to provide one of their watches to the production and the film's budget did not allow for the purchase of one, Cubby Broccoli took the one off his wrist and gave it to a member of the art department for use in the film. That Rolex was a Submariner with a very large crown, no crown guards, a coin edge bezel and a black crocodile strap."

Note what it says about it being Cubby Broccoli's Submariner. And it's not based on here say. It was documented in James Bond the Legacy. I can direct you to the specific page if you like.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    I do recall reading of Broccoli's watch,many years ago.The story must have evolved over to Guy Hamilton,who may have worn a Sub himself,lending to the confusion.
    I know for you older forum members this is a bit of a re-hash. But I really appreciate seeing everyones watches!!!

BTW: Has anyone ever mentioned Pussy Galore's Rolex? Looks like a Submariner with a Stainless bracelet.
    7289 wrote:
    I know for you older forum members this is a bit of a re-hash. But I really appreciate seeing everyones watches!!!

BTW: Has anyone ever mentioned Pussy Galore's Rolex? Looks like a Submariner with a Stainless bracelet.

Pussy's was a GMT Master, red/blue bezel.

And not to be outdone, but no more though, unboxing this lot took me long enough. More box brownie pics...

1026.jpg
    Asp9mm wrote:
    7289 wrote:

And not to be outdone, but no more though, unboxing this lot took me long enough. More box brownie pics...

1026.jpg

Asp9mm is correct, Pussy's watch was a GMT Master. A reference 6542 to be exact.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Asp9mm wrote:
    7289 wrote:

quote]

nice montage ASP9mm....
    Honor Blackman wore a watch in Goldfinger? Gee,I wonder how I missed that?? (meowww)
    Honor Blackman wore a watch in Goldfinger? Gee,I wonder how I missed that?? (meowww)

Concentrating on Pussy never stopped me from admiring what wrist action was going on 8-)
    edited September 2007
    Cheers to that,Asp9mm..
    ASP9mm,

That looks like the Q branch bin Bond must have visited on Boxing Day in OHMSS!

ke02eww,

Clearly you need longer arms!

{[]
    Asp9mm wrote:

Concentrating on Pussy never stopped me from admiring what wrist action was going on 8-)

TIME, GENTLEMEN PLEASE...:o
    7289 wrote:
    ASP9mm,

That looks like the Q branch bin Bond must have visited on Boxing Day in OHMSS!

ke02eww,

Clearly you need longer arms!

{[]

:)) :007) :))