Forgotten War Classics

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
Although whenever someone says war film its likely The Great Escape will pop into your head but what do you think of the others? Mine include Battle Of Britain, A Bridge Too Far, The Bridge On The River Kwai, In Which We Serve, Big Red One and Saving Private Ryan. What about you?
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Wow---far too many to mention---but I'll take a shot: Lawrence of Arabia, The Dirty Dozen, The Guns of Navarone, A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, The Enemy Below, Das Boot, The Blue Max, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,491Chief of Staff
    Nobody liked Where Eagles Dare, then? :(
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:
    Nobody liked Where Eagles Dare, then? :(

Oh, I liked that one, as well. Alistair MacLean was always a favourite of mine, particularly when he went to war B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Patton and The Dirty Dozen are two of my favorites.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    Lots of great titles already mentioned - I'm especially fond of The Dirty Dozen and Apocalyspe Now. I'd also like to call attention to Paths of Glory and Kelly's Heroes.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Loeffs,Barbel and Barry have already mentioned most of my favorite war films, but I'd like to add Twelve O'Clock High and The Dawn Patrol to the list.Plus A Very Long Engagement as well...
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Apocalypse Now, is a great one to mention, Tony. Although I have to specify the original theatrical release cut is the best version. The more recent Apocalypse Now Redux ia waaaay too long, especially the dinner scene with the French family.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    Another war film I like is Cecil B.DeMille's epic The Crusades.There's plenty of action to be had and nowhere else will you hear Berengaria say to Richard the Lionhearted:"War!War!War!That's all you ever talk about,Dick Plantagenet!"

The Man Who Never Was,The Desert Fox and Five Fingers are excellent war movies as well.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I remember watching a old war film years ago in school, can't remember which class. I don't know why I remember the title, I just don't remember too much about the movie. The movie we watched was All's Quiet On The Western Front .

The only other war movie I enjoy is Saving Private Ryan . A great film. I should put it in the 'ole DVD player and give it another watch. I think I enjoyed it because of the plot. Several men sent to save the life of one man who lost all his brothers in war. I was shocked to see a cameo by Ted Danson when I first watched this movie to.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I love Terrence Malick's adaptation of James Jones novel The Thin Red Line. It has a remarkable performance from Jim Caviezel as a wayward young soldier who undergoes a spiritual awakening.

There's Dirk Bogarde as an officer trying to defend a working-class soldier in Joseph Losey's King and Country.

Paul Verhoeven made a fine Dutch double-bill of war movies, Soldier of Orange and Black Book. The first has the mighty Rutger Hauer and TLD's Jeroen Krabbe as fighters in the Dutch resistance. The second has Carice van Houten as a Jewish nightclub singer spying on the Nazi's.

Jean-Pierre Melville's understated but powerful Army in the Shadows tells of a unit in the French resistance. The admiration I have for these people, many of whom were killed in the most brutal fashion by the Nazis is without limits.

And Clint Eastwood outdid himself recently with Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    The Dirty Dozen
    The Eagle Has Landed
    Oporation Crossbow
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Breaker Morant

Das Boot (with extra credit for being a submarine movie). The rivet popping sequence still makes my heart pound.

Anyone remember The Victors with George Peppard and George Hamilton?

M*A*S*H An absolute classic in every way. If you liked the TV show -- I didn't -- you'll wonder why after watching this film.

The Story of G.I. Joe The movie that introduced Robert Mitchum to movie audiences.

The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit Not a war picture per se, but along with The Best Years of Our Lives, one of the few attempts to look at how the war shaped my parents' generation.

Hope and Glory Nice film about the homefront in wartime London
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Young Lions - An underrated little epic which seems to have fallen under the radar.

Marlon Brando gives another power-house-performance, as a young German officer, who just happens to have a conscience -- he is rather subtle compared to later roles. The great Maximillian Schell plays his commandant and gives Marlon a run for any future chewing the scenery accolades.

The story switches perspective with Montgommery Clift playing essentially the same wholesome Americana role he played before in From Here To Eternity, & Dean Martin's first serious role after his partnership with Jerry Lewis. As if that wasn't enough, we're also treated to drop-dead-raven tressed-bombshell, Barbara Rush. (can you tell I like her)? and everyone's favorite manly US. General, Les Tremayne.