Crap title

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
Who else thinks Devil May Care is a crap title for a bond story?
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    I think Devil May Care is an excellent title and is very much in line with the kinds of names the late Ian Fleming gave to his stories.Fleming frequently used turns of phrase as his titles,so in spirit it's not unlike The Living Daylights, or For Your Eyes Only, or On Her Majesty's Secret Service, or The Spy Who Loved Me,or Diamonds Are Forever, or even You Only Live Twice.

Devil May Care is a familiar phrase and will no doubt have more than one meaning when it comes to the contents of this particular story.

However,that said,there are two titles of the earlier James Bond continuation novels I'm not fond of.These are: No Deals,Mr. Bond and COLD(also called COLD Fall).But in all fairness, these things were forced upon author John Gardner by his editors--and were not his choices for those books.Mr.Faulks apparently didn't have to deal with such editorial interference.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Because it isn't relative to the plot (Even though I don't yet know it I don't know how it could connect with that) and doesn't mean anything.
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,620Chief of Staff
    Because it isn't relative to the plot (Even though I don't yet know it I don't know how it could connect with that) and doesn't mean anything.

But 'Devil May Care' does mean something - and as for your comment on it not being relative to the plot ?:)

Seriously, Sweepy think before you post such comments.....
    YNWA 97
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    It's a cracking title; feels very Bond and also very period to me.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Am I wild about the title? No; but, Sweepy, your comment that it doesn't mean anything and that it doesn't relate to the plot--which by your own admission you know nothing about--is absurd. Really, in your zeal to start new topics you're showing a lot of ignorance. To paraphrase an old saying, it is better to be thought a fool than to open a topic and prove it.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I think it's a better title than the one for this thread, buy hey...that's just me.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent

Perhaps you could let us know what the plot will entail, Sweepy? {[]
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    emtiem wrote:
    It's a cracking title; feels very Bond and also very period to me.

Agreed. When I told my brother the title, he was ecstatic. He couldn't believe how cool it was. I hope this one makes 'the jump' to cinema one day B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Are you kidding me?! Devil May Care is a ridiculously awesome title! Very Fleming's Bond! It's dark, cool, and stylish.
  • zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    I think the title is fine. Not great, not bad. It'll do.

BTW, latest DMC news, the Bentley is back.
    http://www.youngbonddossier.com/Young_Bond/News/Entries/2007/9/16_Bond_to_drive_a_Bentley_in_Devil_May_Care.html
    www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Sigh, maybe I'm just a different bond fan.
    207qoznfl4.gif

Maybe, but different how ? We have a fair old broad base of Bond fans here.

You should try and back up your claims/thoughts and tell us why you think it's a crap Bond story title. Don't just make statements for the sake of it.
    YNWA 97
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

Maybe, but different how ? We have a fair old broad base of Bond fans here.

You should try and back up your claims/thoughts and tell us why you think it's a crap Bond story title. Don't just make statements for the sake of it.

I think that's also a forum adjustment that such an individual needs to make. Most forums on the internet are generally filled with such statements, as they're not used to making substantive posts.

To utilize this thread as an example:

"Anyone else thing DMC is a crap title?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Me too."

"I agree."

"I kinda like it, actually."

"It sux."

"O RLY?"

"YA RLY"

I remember this, because it was an adjustment I had to make back when I was first on AJB :)
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    DAWUSS wrote:
    I remember this, because it was an adjustment I had to make back when I was first on AJB :)

That's because we're a cut above ;)

CAN WE HAZ GUD GRAMAR N SPELIN PLZ? KTHNXBAI

LOL!!!1!11
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    darenhat wrote:
    I think it's a better title than the one for this thread, buy hey...that's just me.
    And me.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    In fairness to poor ol' Sweepy, the title is a bit derivative, rather like that of a Clive Owen shoot 'em up thriller. Fleming actually originated phrases didn't he - From Russia With Love, The Spy Who Loved Me etc
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Fleming actually originated phrases didn't he - From Russia With Love, The Spy Who Loved Me etc

Sort of. . .Fleming was, I think, a genius at taking common, everyday expressions or other titles and turning them into something he owned; e.g., "Live and let live" = LALD; "A diamond is forever" (the De Beers slogan) = DAF; "From _____ with Love" (insert whatever in the blank) = you know what; "On Her Majesty's Service" = OHMSS; "You only live once" = YOLT; "The man with the golden arm" (the title of an Otto Preminger film) = TMWTGG. It's been pretty hard for continuation novelists and the filmmakers to match Fleming's mad skills.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Yeah, DMK is a title that IMO the filmmakers wouldn't think of using in a million years. However, DMK does read like something that would naturally roll off Fleming's pen and capture the mood of James Bond's inner world. That, to me, distinquishes the work as Bond in the written word, which makes it special.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited September 2007
    superado wrote:
    Yeah, DMK is a title that IMO the filmmakers wouldn't think of using in a million years. However, DMK does read like something that would naturally roll off Fleming's pen and capture the mood of James Bond's inner world. That, to me, distinquishes the work as Bond in the written word, which makes it special.

Indeed, DMC isn't a title that Eon would have thought of...but I hope that, given Ms. Broccoli's active praise for the book, that they'll consider using it in the future. I've never really heard a Bond producer gush about a post-Fleming book before.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Indeed, DMC isn't a title that Eon would have thought of...but I hope that, given Ms. Broccoli's active praise for the book, that they'll consider using it in the future. I've never really heard a Bond producer gush about a post-Fleming book before.
    What about Never Send Flowers? Is there much of a chance of that being taken up as a film title?
    What about Never Send Flowers? Is there much of a chance of that being taken up as a film title?

Eeek. . .in my opinion, that's a dreadful title, suitable perhaps for a Simon Pegg film about rival florists. Alas, the best Gardner titles have a whiff of been-there, done-that to them: For Special Services (For Your Eyes Only), Icebreaker (Moonraker), and Win, Lose, or Die--well, that one could work. . .

Oh, I always thought the title of a DMX film, Never Die Alone, is kind of Bondian. Too bad the rapper got to it first!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    and Win, Lose, or Die
    I like that title, although it's probably too similar to CR. What about Never Dream of Dying and High Time to Kill?
    Scorpius was always one of my favourite Gardner book titles...although we all know Eon isn't keen on 'buying rights' on newer Bond books :#

I do hope they'll break precedent someday with Devil May Care...
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    edited September 2007
    Nobody Lives For Ever
    It just stands out from the rest
    Some Gardner titles are half as good, it's true
    Maybe it's the best...:D

(Apologies to Carole Bayer Sager)
    Raymond Benson reported that he wanted to use "The World is Not Enough" as a title, but was prevented from doing so for reasons unknown; I'd say that this was an indication that the film makers have a veto over the titles. So I don't think "Devil May Care" The Movie will appear any time soon.

Though I am looking forward to "No Deals, Mr Bond"... ;)

@merseytart
    edited September 2007
    I've asked this before but am I the only person here who thinks Never Dream of Dying and High Time to Kill could make great titles for a future Bond film? :D
    I've asked this before but am I the only person here who thinks Never Dream of Dying and High Time to Kill could make great titles for a future Bond film? :D

'High Time To Kill' is a decent enough title but 'Never Dream Of Dying' is appalling, IMHO.
    YNWA 97
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    In fairness to poor ol' Sweepy, the title is a bit derivative, rather like that of a Clive Owen shoot 'em up thriller. Fleming actually originated phrases didn't he - From Russia With Love, The Spy Who Loved Me etc

Sometimes, but 'The Living Daylights' is just a stock phrase, and is one of my favourites. 'Devil May Care' just feels like Bond to me.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Oh, I always thought the title of a DMX film, Never Die Alone, is kind of Bondian. Too bad the rapper got to it first!

Doesn't really make much sense though: you wouldn't say 'never' as it suggests that you could do it more than once! :) 'Don't die alone' is how someone would actually say it- doesn't sound as good, though :)
  • postman patpostman pat Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

'High Time To Kill' is a decent enough title but 'Never Dream Of Dying' is appalling, IMHO.

Mr. Benson had a nack of picking shocking titles... Siigghh!

No more Kill/Die/Live titles, please!!!

@merseytart