Fan Fiction -> The Spider and the Fly

SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
edited September 2007 in James Bond Literature
The latest novel by Jason Disley (SC1) has been launched in the fan fiction section, in fact the first novel for a while! Tell him what you think in this topic, we both hope you enjoy reading it...

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/fanfiction/thespiderandthefly.php
Simon

Comments

• scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Yes please read my tale that has him involved in a mission that involves of all people The Rolling Stones -the tale is loosely based on some real events and has Bond in places we haven't really seen him before. Set in 1965 it is meant to show 007 mixing in circles he doesn't mix in usually -even if only briefly. Anyway comments will be much appreciated and also I just want to thank Darenhat for his fantastic cover illustration once again. I'm sure you will all agree it is an excellent cover worthy of an original 007 novel.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    sounds really good...when I have time/my IP address gets fixed, I'll read it ^^

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Congratulations sc1 on getting this finished and working through your writer's block. I very much look forward to reading the finished product. :)
    I'm afraid on rereading it since it has gone online I see little things which needed to be refined more - hopefully my mistakes won't distract too much and that the tale is still interesting and entertaining. :)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I am really glad to finally see another fan fiction tale on AJB. I think it is well over a year since the previous fan fic was released. I hope to read The Spider and The Fly shortly and I will post my thoughts once I have done so!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited September 2007
    SC1 had begun this work a while back, and as he had requested that I do the cover art, I was priveleged to read the first halk of the story. Unfortunate circumstances prevented the story from being finished and posted until now, and I must say that it has been nice to finally be able to read the finished product.

Not surprising, Scaramanga1 has crafted another professional entry into AJB's fan fic library! The setting is vivid. Bond is back...in the 60's! SC1 has proven to be deft author when setting Bond back where he found his cinematic roots, as was the case with his previous work 'The Great Chrysanthemum'. The infusion of Bond into the pop culture of the time is fantastic, and something that Bond fans will only find here. The closest we've ever seen Bond brush with such a thing before was his back-handed comment about the Beatles in the film 'Goldfinger'. Here, however, the 60's are in full swing, with pop culture icons like Mick Jagger and The Who being prevelant (even easy rider Dennis Hopper makes an appearance).

All in all, a fun read and highly recommended. And bonus points, for the return of the 'original' M, whose presence helps the reader slip into the story as if it were a well-loved robe.

Excellent work, SC1! {[]
    Thankyou ever so much for those kind words Daren -I was a little bit apprehensive about this tale -mainly because it isn't necessarily quite as fast paced as my other tales and the action is pretty much kept to only when it was really really necessary. It was more an attempt to put Bond in places we don't normally associate him but as ever the formulaic approach crept in and I ended up with a tale so different in many ways from what I originally planned -however I do think some scenes have worked -like the clumsy scene where 007 picks up Louisa Fairweather in the bistro beneath Mary Quant's boutique and also my interpretation of how Bond fitted in with the young hip and trendy faces that he is made to mix with. :)
    Has anybody else got anything to say about The spider and the Fly yet? Feedback will be greatly appreciated. :D
    Has anybody else got anything to say about The spider and the Fly yet? Feedback will be greatly appreciated. :D

I will do in the next few days. Just concentrating on getting my novel 6 bit finished at the moment. I'm looking forward to reading this - your standard is always very high. Hopefully it will give me the inspiration for me to light a fire under my current fan fic project which has been in limbo for quite a few months.
    edited September 2007
    I have just finished reading The Spider and The Fly. . . and once again, Scaramanga1, you have produced an intriguing and well written novella. Your prose is well constructed and executed as usual, and the balance between action, description and dialogue is good. Setting Bond back in the sixties is a nice touch, going back once again to the days when the cold war was a major factor and M was good old Sir Miles Messervy. Also having Bond interacting with 60s pop culture is a very nice, fresh twist. It usually seems that Bond is divorced from the rest of the pop culture of that period, but it's good to see it being mixed together in this fan fic!

I liked this fan fiction very much, although my favourite Sc1 Fan-Fic is still 'The Great Chrysanthemum'. But that doesn't detract from what is once again a solid and thrilling entry from Mr Disley. Well done.

And kudos to Darenhat for another stunning bit of cover design - returning to the style of Richard Chopping's great first edition covers. Good work. ;)

Hooray for AJB fan fiction {[] and hopfully I'll have something new to add to the fan fic library in the next little while! :D

PS - One thing I didn't like with the Spider and The Fly is that Sc1 decided on the same name for his lead female character as I had done in my currect fan fiction project. I guess I'll have to rename my heroine. . . :'(
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Golrush007 wrote:
    PS - One thing I didn't like with the Spider and The Fly is that Sc1 decided on the same name for his lead female character as I had done in my currect fan fiction project. I guess I'll have to rename my heroine. . . :'(

I guess great minds think alike! -{

..and thanks for the kind words on the cover, Golrush.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I have just finished reading The Spider and The Fly. . . and once again, Scaramanga1, you have produced an intriguing and well written novella. Your prose is well constructed and executed as usual, and the balance between action, description and dialogue is good. Setting Bond back in the sixties is a nice touch, going back once again to the days when the cold war was a major factor and M was good old Sir Miles Messervy. Also having Bond interacting with 60s pop culture is a very nice, fresh twist. It usually seems that Bond is divorced from the rest of the pop culture of that period, but it's good to see it being mixed together in this fan fic!

I liked this fan fiction very much, although my favourite Sc1 Fan-Fic is still 'The Great Chrysanthemum'. But that doesn't detract from what is once again a solid and thrilling entry from Mr Disley. Well done.

And kudos to Darenhat for another stunning bit of cover design - returning to the style of Richard Chopping's great first edition covers. Good work. ;)

Hooray for AJB fan fiction {[] and hopfully I'll have something new to add to the fan fic library in the next little while! :D

Sorry about the heroine thing! ;%

I'm glad you enjoyed TS&TF -you are right that even though 007 is very much part of the Sixties popular culture -he was always a little bit divorced from that very culture -simply because his role was working for the Establishment. It was indeed my attempt to see him dealing with that said culture on a more personal level -hopefully I got the balance right -although It would have been good to go into it at a deeper level. However had I done so -it would have perhaps made it a little less interesting to read and not enough of a "thriller".

As for The Great Chrysanthemum - That too is my personal favorite. :)
    Just noticed The Spider and The fly has been downloaded over a 100 times -I just want to thank people who have been interested in reading this tale -and any of you who have read it and haven't commented on it -please feel free to do so. I will be happy to read any comments about it as constructive criticism always helps.
    cheers,
    Jason.