The Young Ones

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
Who here loves the british cult comedy, The Young Ones, It's my favourite comedy series because it is one of the very few I can really laugh out loud helplessly while watching. I don't know what my fave episode is but series 2 surprasses series 1 by miles. Any more comments?
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Oh great, the funniest show ever and nobody has heard of it!X-(
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,670Chief of Staff
    Oh great, the funniest show ever and nobody has heard of it!X-(

I'm sure plenty have heard of it - I'm suprised YOU have as you probably weren't born when it was first shown.

Slow down Sweepy and give people time to respond, if they wish too of course. Some comments made - such as yours above - may dissuade responses completely.
    YNWA 97
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I found The Young Ones hilarious when I was a kid. But when I watched it recently it didn't seem that funny anymore. Except for the episode with the Video recorder. That still is great.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    My mate's bag tipped over last eyar and series 1 fell out, I started having a look at it and asked if i could borrow it. I didn't give it himm back for nearly a year! :)) I had series 2 for my bday but have yet to watch the last 2 episodes. I've been meaning to recently so im aiming to saturday night. :)
    I love the epiosde where Vivyan sees his mum and neil asks something like "Vivyan's mum, why did you give Vivyan a girl's name?" they all go mad and i think it's great. :))
    I also love the episode when Vivyan's pregnant! :))
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Ben Elton's finest hour.

I understand the reason so many bands appeared was because they got a bigger budget if it was a certain genre of show ie if you had a song and dance act, you got a bigger budget or something. Hence the students would wander into a bar where Motorhead or Madness would be playing. :)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Ben Elton's finest hour.

Not that much competition though, is there? :))
    Ah, c'mon, Blackadder...

That said, at the time young whippersnapper Ben was helping out flailing Richard Curtis on his historical romp. Then Curtis did Four Weddings and outran him and then some...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Ah, c'mon, Blackadder...

That said, at the time young whippersnapper Ben was helping out flailing Richard Curtis on his historical romp. Then Curtis did Four Weddings and outran him and then some...

True, Blackadder was great. Back in the day when Curtis wrote viscious humour instead of lovey-dovey poncey crap and Elton had yet to discover the rock-opera. The musical interludes were often the best part of the show. This being my favourite appearance.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZSVwTnL74
    Richard Curtis wrote a wonderful top 10 pointers for a British film feature once. He said how the first 10 mins have to be brilliant or the public just won't go for it, unlike in a US film. If they're not, then any great bits later on in the film are only measured against the fact that they've decided this is gonna be a bad film, ie a sort of compensation. And I thought about the Bond films which, of course, have a brilliant opening scene always.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The DVD box set is out on Monday. There's a feature in the Media Guide of today's Guardian newspaper, not altogether complimentary - they say the series hasn't dated too well.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Never really watched the Young ones. Blackadder is great. I also found Bottom very funny when I was younger, not sure if it would be quite as funny now. I'm very difficult to please with humour. The only current thing that makes me laugh properly is Mock the Week.
    edited October 2007
    The DVD box set is out on Monday. There's a feature in the Media Guide of today's Guardian newspaper, not altogether complimentary - they say the series hasn't dated too well.

And here is that article.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/theatre/comedy/story/0,,2195054,00.html

I have to say I agree. And it's nice to see that Alexie Sayle still bears a grudge against Stephen Fry and Emma Thompson. :v
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    I never liked Stephen fry
    207qoznfl4.gif