Best Video Game Soundtrack?

JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
Of all the Bond games I've played, I'd probably have to say that Nightfire is probably the one with the best music with AUF as a very close second.

If you have the chance to get any of Jeff Tymoschuck's NF album, it's AMAZING. Particular standout tracks are "Enemies Vanquished", "Ignore That Sinking Feeling", "Escape from Drake's Castle" and "Rescuing Nightshade".

Enemies Vanquished is like a LALD revamp with some cool OHMSS stuff thrown in as well as being very fast paced.

Ignore That Sinking Feeling starts out as an eerie underwater theme but segues into a brass-filled battle.

Escape From Drake's Castle is a big thematic showdown with pounding brass and a Bondian electric guitar strumming away. Also it hints at the 007 theme.

Rescuing Nightshade is another heartpounding rendition of the Bond theme and "Where Has Everybody Gone?". It ends with a pseudo-Christmas in Turkey interlude.

AUF, sadly didn't have many stuff published but it was very much a 60s Bond score. After Don Veca's disappointing music for the equally disappointing videogame TWINE, it shows that he was really talented when given more material (i.e. The Bond Theme) to work with.

Goldeneye's is pretty good too, probably third on my list. EON, while having a killer title song, does nothing for me musically.

What do others think?

Comments

• moonraker808moonraker808 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Don't hate me for saying that goldeneye rouge agent had my favorite sounds track of any game. The only problem was I can't find a place to download it.

Goldeneye 64 also had a very good sound track.

Nightfire had a more classic bond sound track, so it was quite nice. But everything or nothing was a slightly better game.
  • MeroMero Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I liked the soundtrack for Tomorrow Never Dies, by Tommy Tallarico. I own the soundtrack, it's always a pleasure to listen to.

Both the PS1 and N64 versions of The World Is Not Enough were great too, I just wish I could get the tracks to those, as so I don't have to play the game to listen to the score.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Well, we can discuss the TWINE soundtrack via PMs why don't we?

That being said though, I've never been a fan of TWINE's VG soundtrack either. It's basically regurgitated David Arnold stuff, and although it's good Arnold stuff, it's basically repeated over and over again in loops like A Sinking Feeling and Night Watch. However, Thames Chase and King's Ransom are excellent tracks that couldn't have the Bond theme in them, yet still managed to hint at it and give the listener satisfaction.
  • MeroMero Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Well, we can discuss the TWINE soundtrack via PMs why don't we?

That being said though, I've never been a fan of TWINE's VG soundtrack either. It's basically regurgitated David Arnold stuff, and although it's good Arnold stuff, it's basically repeated over and over again in loops like A Sinking Feeling and Night Watch. However, Thames Chase and King's Ransom are excellent tracks that couldn't have the Bond theme in them, yet still managed to hint at it and give the listener satisfaction.

David Arnold is music greatness embodied, in my opinion. PM sent, btw
  • GoldFingererGoldFingerer Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    Nightfire's music kicked so much as.
    Tommy Tallarico(Tomorrow Never Dies) Did some amazing stuff.
    Also, the GE:RA Main title theme was pure kickass.
    Goldeneye 007 had just incredible soundtracks, especially the control. That piece kicks buttholes.
  • SharpeSharpe Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    Without a doubt..the Goldeneye64 soundtrack was the best bond game soundtrack, and indeed, one of the best game soundtracks. I don't care much for the other soundtracks for bond games - they just sound far too generic. I just downloaded some of the mp3s for it and it sounds like bad music from a poor b-grade action flick.
  • michaelpont27michaelpont27 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    The best soundtrack for a James Bond game would have to Everything or Nothing - it was sung by a well know artist!
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Only a few pieces from EON really grabbed me, Mya's title song being one of the highlights. Shame it wasn't used in the score at all... when they do these songs they should work with the composer to some degree.

The one who shines here, ironically is not "famed" composer Sean Callery but Jeff Tymoschuck, since Callery seems to have fallen into Kamen's trap of LTK when he just scores generic action music with only a few spurts of Bond theme to remind us we're playing a Bond game. Tymoschuck's music is all Bondian all the time. I especially love his tracks set in New Orleans, very relaxed and cool, like Bond himself.