The Ratings Game

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
Have you noticed how the sex and violience in Bond films. Although usually mild, is quite strong for PG (1962-87). I bet nowadays must bond films from that era would be 12A's and some even 15's. I mean, look at FRWL. In that a man is on fire, there is a brutal train fight, exotic belly dancers, shootouts and stranglings. Now anyfilm with hanging must be atleast a 12A, and strangling's similar. On the back of the UE it says Moderate Violence but now most films with moderate violence are 12A! TB had lots of blood underwater but if it's underwater it's fine. FYEO had tons of blood and got away with a PG but for some reason LTK was a 15. Even those who can say it was the drug theme, it doesn't say that on the case. The start of YOLT bond was shot and there was blood and it was PG. Plus, somebody get's shredded in OHMSS and that's more bloody than Friday The 13th. LALD has quite a bit of blood and you see heroin. A girl is eaten by sharks in TSWLM. In DAF,OP and TLD you see nudity which you'd never get away with now unless it was a 15. Now everything has to be a 12A. TND/TWINE would have easily got a PG 20 years ago. CR was purely a 15 with lot's of blood and torture. LALD got away with a mouthed f-word which now would be a 12A. So why the stupid ratings. BBFC have gone nuts, all the PG's and 15's are now 12's. Why, 12 is just bridging a gap, so why is it used so often? I'm gonna complain, who's with me?
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    The manner in which ratings are applied to all films has changed over the years; it's perhaps more obvious in the Bonds since they form an unbroken long-lived series.

The Bond producers are very conscious of maximising their potential audience by keeping within age-related guidelines. As with any filmmakers, they submit their film to the official censors who tell them what to cut, change, etc.

LTK wasn't given a 15 certificate for its drug theme but rather for its relatively high violence level. Different edits of the film (eg, more of Krest's death scene) were prepared for different areas