Lois Maxwell, 1927-2007

jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
There is mention of this already, but I think for someone as important to the series as Lois Maxwell, she deserves her own thread. The original Miss Moneypenny has passed away at the age of 80, succumbing to cancer in hospital in Australia.

I'm sure I speak for all of AJB when I say that our thoughts are with her familyat this time.

Lois Maxwell was funny, sexy, and charismatic in every one of her appearances in the series, and turned Moneypenny from what could have been a one-note bit part into a world-famous character. One never to be forgotten.
Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart

Comments

• Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Very sad news. She was the original and best, and rightfully earned her place as a legend in a legendary film series. Nobody did it better.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Sad news travels fast, unfortunately. I've only just heard this on the radio here in Perth, where she has been living for the past few years. Even though she's lived in the same city as me, and eerily enough, I'm a patient at the same hospital in which she died, I've never had the honour of meeting her.

Lois Maxwell will be missed, but never forgotten.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited September 2007
    I was very sorry to hear this news; Lois Maxwell was classy lady whose contribution to the world of James Bond is considerable. Like Sean Connery, she originated an iconic movie character in the the greatest film franchise in the history of film---a rare and splendid accomplishment. She will live on whenever and wherever the films DN thru AVTAK are screened.

My condolences go out to her friends and family. She will be missed; rest in peace :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    What a legendary asset to the James Bond franchise she was. I'm shocked and saddened by the news.

Rest in peace, Lois Maxwell.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Yes, very sad news. . . :'(

Her role as Moneypenny had always been one of my favourite scenes in all the Bond movies which she appeared in.

May she rest in peace, and condolences to those she leaves behind.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I was shocked when I opened up to the Comcast home page and saw that Lois Maxwell had passed away. This is very sad news, and I hoped that someone would've posted a thread dedicated to her.

Despite her short screen presence in each film, she did create that iconic flirtatious secretary known as Miss Moneypenny. She will live on through the character... no one played it better than she did. :'(
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    A terrible shock and very sad news.

The best and most original Moneypenny, my condolences.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    edited September 2007
    I was shocked to hear of this. I love Moneypenny, and Lois Maxwell was by far the best. My condolences to her family.
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    Sad news indeed. When I read the Bond novels I cannot help but picture her in the role that made her famous. SHE WAS MONEYPENNY. I enjoyed Caroline Bliss and Samantha Bond but Lois Maxwaell was without question the best.

R.I.P.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Very sad news, she definitely defined the character. I can't remember which movie, perhaps TB, where she gives Bond his file and wishes him luck. As Bond walks out the door she gives this look of concern and motherly love expressed just through her eyes and facial expression. She was wonderful. RIP.
  • Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    I was deeply shocked to hear this news. I wasn't even watching the news, but tuned into the words 'Lois Maxwell, the actress who played Miss Moneypenny....'. As soon as the newscaster said that, I knew what was coming. I wasn't aware that she was suffering from cancer.

My thoughts and condolences to her family. She was and always will be a Bond icon. May she rest in peace.
  • Nick NackNick Nack Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    I'd like to honor her tonight with a movie. Any suggestions on which she showed her charm and intelligence the most?
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Nick Nack wrote:
    I'd like to honor her tonight with a movie. Any suggestions on which she showed her charm and intelligence the most?

I always liked her part in YOLT.

MP: "We tried to think of something you wouldn't forget."

Bond: "Yes?"

MP: "I...Love...You. Repeat it please, to make sure you get it."

Bond: "Don't worry, I get it!"

Good Stuff! -{
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee, your tribute in your sig is amazing. I think it says it all.

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Such a shame. God bless her. I always enjoyed her scenes, and looked forward to the hat toss.

She was a great actress and a loyal friend to the Eon family.
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    It's a damn shame.

RIP, you will be missed. :'(
  • Lennon007Lennon007 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    JADE66 wrote:
    Sad news indeed. When I read the Bond novels I cannot help but picture her in the role that made her famous. SHE WAS MONEYPENNY. I enjoyed Caroline Bliss and Samantha Bond but Lois Maxwaell was without question the best.

R.I.P.