Why the Brosnan backlash?

13»

Comments

• bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    Blue, I think he just doesn't want this to turn into the old Brosnan vs. Craig debate we've all heard till we are blue in the face. (No pun intended.)
    :D

Oh yeah, I get that. Just think it's kinda hard to talk about the Brosnan backlash without mention of why there's even reason for the backlash. Hope I've not been too bull-in-a-china shop about it. In an odd kind of way I think Craig's Bond has really cemented Brosnan's Bond in the fanbase, I honestly don't think the rather stark contrast has hurt Brosnan one bit (critics are another thing, but again who gives a rip about those trend-followers?). Fickle fans are out there, sure, but not like they mattered to begin with either way...IMHO (oops, there I went and bashed the fickle Bond fanbase now, sorry all).

IMHO, Brosnan only benefits from the differences to the new guy, much like Dalton before him (IMO).
  • postman patpostman pat Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    IMHO, Brosnan only benefits from the differences to the new guy, much like Dalton before him (IMO).

Thats a very good point, I didn't think about it like that.

DC gets great press from being different from Brosnan, but as a Bond newbie, PB got great press from being a) the new bond, and b) much different from Dalton.

Pierce had a lot going for him in the '90s. He really made 007 popular again. Hats off for that... still, DC provides a real rollercoster of a Bond film. A great Bond persona. Anything that gets us closer to Fleming is much welcomed.

People should learn, Bond actors come and go. We get pretty used to it, and we like them all for their exclusive reasons - thats what makes us Bond fans!
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    I can tell you from my own personal perspective that I've always thought that Broz was a pretty mediocre Bond. With the exception of his darker performance in Goldeneye, Pierce just never quite did it for me. So I can't say anything for the rest of the Bond fan base, but as for me, Pierce has never been a favorite of mine.
  • dougie007dougie007 FalkirkPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:

Thats a very good point, I didn't think about it like that.

DC gets great press from being different from Brosnan, but as a Bond newbie, PB got great press from being a) the new bond, and b) much different from Dalton.

Pierce had a lot going for him in the '90s. He really made 007 popular again. Hats off for that... still, DC provides a real rollercoster of a Bond film. A great Bond persona. Anything that gets us closer to Fleming is much welcomed.

People should learn, Bond actors come and go. We get pretty used to it, and we like them all for their exclusive reasons - thats what makes us Bond fans!

Postman Pat - what can I say - you are spot on! We DO get used to the different actors. After RM finished I thought nobody could take his place. Once I saw TD I did realise that maybe somebody else could do it. It was the same for PB and now DC. As I have said before, all 6 guys have brought something to the role. PB did a great job in putting some life into a flagging series. DC has taken it to a new level.
    A genuine Felix Leiter - illuminating

Live & Let Die - 1973
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,995Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    superado wrote:
    ...blue's imagery of monkeys and feces brought back fond memories of school fieldtrips, and setting off those monkeys was pretty much how it was like in 2006 here, with taut hairy arms cocked and twitching to fling that warm and steamy goodness

Yes...I figured my purchase of that police riot shield, from the local military surplus store, was a wise move---and so it proved to be.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • baccaretbaccaret Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    I think alot of the Brosnam backlash is because of dad it turned alot of people off and even though it was not his fault Pierce gets alot of crap for it,:)):)):v