Watch Help

A friend of mine is trying to get the same type Planet Ocean Craig wears in CR...NOT the limited edition with the 007 on sweep hand...can anyone help?

Comments

• JB1962JB1962 USAPosts: 194MI6 Agent
    Mantis,

What kind of help do you need? Information on model number, a dealer reference, or other? Let me know.
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    I have a great contact, should get 30% and no sales tax...let me know!
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I am looking for a dealer with good prices...Simon, are you referring to the gent from Washington?
  • JB1962JB1962 USAPosts: 194MI6 Agent
    If it's who I think it is in Washington, I second Simon's dealer!
    Thats the fellow, unless there is more than one in DC. I know I would never buy an Omega anywhere else.
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    ^ Yup, that's them! ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    just curious, what is the list price for the "normal" PO with the rubber strap in the US?

Thanks!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    And the Plant Ocean is a must have.

Different and original. Unlike the Seamaster which always seems to me to be poor man's version of the original Rolex Submariner (which I am wearing as I type).:p
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    poor mans version? i thought the seamaster went for over 2K, how much do the submariners go for?
  • saint-antoinesaint-antoine CanadaPosts: 209MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    I do not agree with the Seamaster being a poor man's version of the Rolex Submariner. Agreed, it happens to be cheaper than the Submariner but to me it is THE James Bond watch. Let us not forget that it still a 2000$ dollar watch in the case of the traditionnal Seamaster and even more expensive for the Planet Ocean. For those of us who really got into Bond with Brosnan (I saw all the Connery and Mooore films in the 70's and 80's but really got big time into Bond in the mid 1990's) the Omega Seamaster is THE James Bond watch. I am not taking anything away from the Rolex... after all it was the choice of Fleming himself and gave Connery (and Lazenby... and Moore in his early films) a lot of panache. But to me it is Omega all the way... What is really great about the introduction of the Planet Ocean for me is that it gives a more casual option as I now wear the Seamaster for more dressier situation and the Planet Ocean for every day use... Let us hope the Planet Ocean will still be seen in Bond 22... as well has the Seamaster...
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    The bracelet on the Seamaster is elaborately classy, and works well in more formal settings. I think it was the perfect choice for a Bond of the 90's (and even today), as Rolex had become rather mainstream by that time.
    No doubt he will be wearing a new omega we will need to buy ;)
  • flem007flem007 Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    I think with regards to value the Submariner or Seamaster are not that expensive in relation to say watch makers like Patek Philippe or Franck Muller like most things you get what you pay for.

Having worn my O P on a daily basis over the past few months although a fantastic watch i find it a tad heavy in respect to my Seamaster or the Submariner.

I Recently read an intersting article in 00/24 The Ultimate Watch Magazine in which the Marketing Manager of Omega talks about how he envisages Omega taking the number one slot from Rolex, within the next 4yr's or so . Not sure if this will happen but at least the rivarly will ensure that whether Bond wears an Omega or Rolex he will be wearing a timepiece of the highest quality.
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    My argument on Submariner v Seamaster is this:

Ian Fleming put a Rolex on James Bond. Eon Productions, in a placement deal, put an Omega on Pierce Brosnan (and subsequently Daniel Craig).

I think from that my reasoning is easy enough to work out.

However, the PO is a classic sports watch on its own.
    edited October 2007
    flem007 wrote:
    the Marketing Manager of Omega talks about how he envisages Omega taking the number one slot from Rolex, within the next 4yr's or so .

8-) how often have we heard this from Omega in the past 45 years?

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    flem007 wrote:
    the Marketing Manager of Omega talks about how he envisages Omega taking the number one slot from Rolex, within the next 4yr's or so .

8-) how often have we heard this from Omega in the past 45 years?

Quite. But they are very serious this time, some of the stuff they are planning is either going to work or put them firmly in their place. Good luck to them, as Rolex are bound to move against them with some excellent results, as we are already seeing {[]
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • flem007flem007 Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    Quite. But they are very serious this time, some of the stuff they are planning is either going to work or put them firmly in their place. Good luck to them, as Rolex are bound to move against them with some excellent results, as we are already seeing {[][/quote]

Indeed. It can only be a good thing for the watch buying public, It's sometimes harder retaining a number one slot than the journey getting there.
  • firefighter84firefighter84 Posts: 43MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    The Mantis wrote:
    A friend of mine is trying to get the same type Planet Ocean Craig wears in CR...NOT the limited edition with the 007 on sweep hand...can anyone help?

i found replicas of the exact watch on <link removed> but for the real deal you can find them on Amazon or any Omega retailer
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    firefighter,
    How did your replica Omega turn out (in terms of quality)?

Their replica of the basic Bond Seamaster is pretty horrible... but I suppose since I have a real one on my wrist I can notice the imperfections.

On the other hand, their Planet Ocean looks pretty good, or maybe I just can't spot the flaws with a discerning eye. I wouldn't mind having one which I can rotate once in awhile...
    ..and I'm thinking how is this webiste legal?
    edited October 2007
    8-)

• firefighter84firefighter84 Posts: 43MI6 Agent
    Well, i've never actually had a real one before, but i love it. i wouldn't go deep sea diving with it though, lol. judging just from the pics of the actual watch, i only notice 3 things.

The Omega logo on the band of the replica is on the rubber. The real one is on the metal buckle.

The texture behind the horse logo underneath the watch is SLIGHTLY different.

And the last i'm not too sure, but the watch hands are a shade or two different.

I still get "Nice watch!!!!!" all the time though lol