Dench's M: In The Field Again (!)

2»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    I actually rather like seeing M's office---especially if we only see it at the beginning of the film :D And Bond doesn't have to scurry back anywhere, particularly in the age of encoded satellite transmission. She can bitch at him from Vauxhall, no matter where his mission takes him---and he can switch her off :v

She could do it from there, yes, but drama is sort of about characters interacting, and I'd much rather watch a face to face conversation than one done over the phone. Drama's also about conflict, so everyone getting on terribly well with each other and their bosses and not speaking to them doesn't really excite either.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    drama is sort of about characters interacting...Drama's also about conflict

:)

I simply prefer Bond's conflict to be with the villain(s) of the piece---My fear is that the M-Bond/mother-son dynamic, played out again and again, runs the risk of becoming stale...but I trust Haggis will 'dress it up' to most fans' satisfaction.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Well, Contact Music is hardly 'confirmation,' :)) but they've put something out saying that Dame Judi has indicated that M will be traveling to Panama in #22 for 'a big adventure with James.'

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/dench%20craig%20is%20gorgeous_1050072

She also seems to be of the opinion that (Formerly) Poor DannyTM is a fairly attractive man :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Well, Contact Music is hardly 'confirmation,' :)) but they've put something out saying that Dame Judi has indicated that M will be traveling to Panama in #22 for 'a big adventure with James.'
    You're right, it isn't much confirmation. In fact, we can almost certainly dismiss this article as Dench apparently described Craig as gorgeous. :v :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    'A big adventure with James'?

Sounds like Bond is starting to sleep his way to the top. ;)
    darenhat wrote:
    'A big adventure with James'?

Sounds like Bond is starting to sleep his way to the top. ;)

Maybe this will be the movie when she gets to ride along in the Aston :#
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent

Maybe M no longer trusts the judgment of the young women she sent out to do psychological evaluations of Bond, so she'll take the job into her own hands...
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I would suspect that this "M's big adventure" is the same sort of piffle as the earlier DC quote that Bond 22 was going to have more jokes.

Having allowed CR'06 to settle in my consiousness for a year, I have found that what I REALLY LIKE about the film is that it broke alot of the "old school" Bond conventions, No Q, Moneypenny, a script not overrun with bad puns and invisable cars.

Seems like one convention they haven't dropped is the "Traveling Judy" show. I agree that old M belongs in her office, sipping a late night whiskey - and prehaps puffing a Havana cigar!

I felt the dynamic changed between Bond and M in CR'06 - M is now is taking advantage of Bond's loyalty and actually "using" him, for example, sending oo7 on a vacation to sort himself out, all the time knowing he was going to work the "Ellipsis" clue through.

I won't mind too much Judy showing up "on location" as long as it doesn't begin to take on the stupidity of desks in the back of airplanes or meeting on salvaged ships and submarines. If EON is going to keep JB "fresh" and relevant, they have to continue to shake up the formula -otherwise cancel DC's contract and rehire Moore or Brosnan.

I would like to see Judy replaced with Michael Gambon - he would make a fantastic "M"!
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent

Maybe M no longer trusts the judgment of the young women she sent out to do psychological evaluations of Bond, so she'll take the job into her own hands...

I will say, I was wondering several years ago if she and Pierce would ever have one of those "scenes"...

TBH I think we can lay off the traveling M. If M needs more screen time maybe there could be more going on at MI-6 HQ
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    I would like to see Judy replaced with Michael Gambon - he would make a fantastic "M"!
    I would also love to see Dench replaced. I think Dench is a brillliant actress, but her M annoys me to death. Not only was she incredibly weak in CR, but her continous psychoanalyzing makes me wonder whether she thinks she's M or Freud! :s
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited December 2007
    This is funny: apparently, Eon is afraid Dame Judi is a bit too free with her off-the-cuff revelations...

http://commanderbond.net/article/4739

They probably won't give her the script until she lands in Panama! :))
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    Perhaps in Bond 22's PTS 007 will die from a series of bullets meant for M--and following his funeral, M will step down from her position as head of the secret service and take his place as the new 007.Eon can always defend this new direction with such comments such as,"This is what Ian Fleming was really writing about.Fleming never says in any of his stories that 007 isn't a short elderly Englishwoman.Indeed,his descriptions of 007 are always quite vague..."

James Bond's alcoholic ghost will appear to M from time to time dispensing advice(ala George and Marian Kerby in Topper),and together, the two 007s will participate in some unique and exciting cinematic adventures.

Of course it goes without saying(which is why I'm saying it) that the contents of these "M as 007" movies will be extremely faithful to the spirit of Ian Fleming...whose ghost will also pop by occasionally(as portrayed by Charles Dance or another lookalike actor)to drink vodka martinis alongside Commander Bond's spectre and offer his own helpful insights to agent M--furiously smoking a multitude of Turkish cigarettes all the while.

Surely such a challenging stream-of-consciousness approach to the new 007 films will find special favor with audiences and critics alike.

The majority of the new 007 posters will read:

Albert R.Broccoli's Eon Productions Presents Judi Dench as Ian Fleming's Secret Agent 007.

However,the more elaborate posters will blare:

Albert R.Broccoli's Eon Productions Presents Academy Award-Winning Actress Dame Judi Dench as Ian Fleming's Secret Agent 007.

Such a move would certainly signal an important new direction for Eon, and finally place their newer 007 films in serious consideration for multiple Academy Awards--including those in the categories for Best Actor/Best Actress and Best Picture of the Year.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    I'll have what he's having...
  • Jordan16Jordan16 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    First of all, I think that Dame Judi Dench is spectacular in all of the Bond fils she has appeared in (the last 5).
    Secondly, I like it when she is in her office, because it gives a "confidential" feel to the briefing of the mission to OO7. But I like to see her in different locations as well. It makes her seem dedicated to MI6 and Bond.
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Jordan16 wrote:
    It makes her seem dedicated to MI6 and Bond.

I really have to cut in here, because I've been kind of wondering that this sort of briefing in the field wouldn't be just Bond's priviledge, so is it fair to assume that M might just as well come up to give 002 a briefing in Brazil? ?:)
  • Double-0Double-0 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Good idea the murder of the head of MI6...For Bond 23 why not ?{[]