Are Sideshow done with 007?

Does anyone know what Sideshows Bond plans are, whether they are resting or done?? ?:)

Will my hope of a Thunderball set (Jet pack Bond, Largo and Domino) go unfulfilled? :'(

Duncan

Comments

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    I believe they've indicated during the San Diego Comic Con in July that they're not finished with Bond. I think they even indicated something about CR figures, or at least Craig.

A good sign is that they're still on the tail end of releasing the JB Legacy figures, which to me technically serves as a placeholder to indicate the series is somewhat alive.

As far as the fan wish lists like the jetpack, we can't really tell how that will turn out since in the past they haven't really done a 2nd theme from the same movie (Bond was already done for TB, in a premium "gimmick" format), but heck, they've shown us the TND Brosnan in HALO gear, so what ever happened to that?!? ?:)

Darn Star Wars, darn Lord of the Rings, and now Darn Indiana Jones (don't get me wrong, I love those too, just not as much as 007), since these big licenses seem to be taking priority in Sideshow's production plans and may be affecting other licenses like Bond.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    Is it wrong to say that they've never impressed me with their stuff? Their figures always look a bit laughable to me- I'd love to see some smaller figures doing the rounds.
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    No I don't think it's wrong at all. I've always thought that the sideshow range has been hit or miss since the start. It's a shame as it needen't be that way. If you look closely at all of them, they're nearly all great sculpts, but are let down by the paint job and the eyes. I think the only sculpt that's way off is the 1/4 scale Pierce Brosnan. It seems that the Bond range has collectors standard sculpts and accessories, but are painted like toys, with just a few exceptions.

If you track down the sideshow repaints that appear on ebay and some forums then you get a glimpse of how good these things can look with a little TLC.

Duncan
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    Is it wrong to say that they've never impressed me with their stuff? Their figures always look a bit laughable to me- I'd love to see some smaller figures doing the rounds.

As far as my own interest to have Bond figures since the early 80's, the options at first were expensive collector grade and relatively ugly 12" Bond and Oddjob figures by Gilbert (inferior to even 1960's standards as set by GI Joe/Action Man), the similarly expensive, Moonraker figures by Mego with large and gray heads (due to age), then during the late 90's came the expensive, but (unintentionally?) cartoony Medicom figures of Connery and Brosnan, the Action Man renditions of Bond that were too muscular and didn't resemble Bond at all and lastly, the really ugly, though reasonably priced 8" Exclusive Premier figures. Compared to those, the Sideshow offerings were a tremendous windfall!

Sideshow Bond figures aren't perfect and I have my own laundry list of peeves about them, mainly about the clothing and slight "offness" with likeness, but I feel fortunate that I am skillfully inclined (or know of others who are, for a fee) to overcome those shortcomings.

I was just thinking the other day about the McFarlane and Neca figures, which have really hit new marks of excellence and realism. I know that as licenses go, these have been granted simulatenously to different manufactureres, like how Bond vehicles were offered by Corgi, Minichamps, Ertl, etc. However, if it's an issue in which the EON marketing people are being more discriminating with licenses for their figures, I think it's time for Sideshow to give up their license to let other companies give it a go. ...or, they could make statue dioramas like what Sideshow does for their licenses, which (the format) I think is negotiated with the license owner. I think I posted in the past how I sent an email to the Fleming Estate suggesting this kind of merchandising for the literary Bond, but never got a response...but one can dream.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    I thought the recent announcement about Corgi getting the licence included action figures?

If it did, it still doesn't mean Sideshow is done - the licences for other properties are such that other companies can and do produce smaller figures.
  • Steve Rush DI5 AgentSteve Rush DI5 Agent Oxfordshire, Great BritainPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    Greetings all

It has just occurred to me that is now a little over 5 years since the first Sideshow figures for Dr No were put on sale.

5 years! That's surely something to celebrate!I remember wondering at the beginning just how long the licence would run for.

As our friend above has described, the Sideshow 007 figures aren't always perfect but nothing this good was avaiable when I was a kid. Consequently, I agree that the Sideshows are great!

I just wish they'd hurry up and give us Mr Craig!

Steve
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    Well, While I hope Sideshow DOES come out with a Largo figure....I couldn't wait and made my own.
    I also switched the Bond Sideshow body with a Dragon figure body so there wouldn't be any joints showing on Bond's legs. Add a custom Connery sculpt and VIOLA!!!
    Ed

Here's a link to the photo....
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007_TB-CustomFigures-01.jpg
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,605Chief of Staff
    edited October 2007
    Well, While I hope Sideshow DOES come out with a Largo figure....I couldn't wait and made my own.
    I also switched the Bond Sideshow body with a Dragon figure body so there wouldn't be any joints showing on Bond's legs. Add a custom Connery sculpt and VIOLA!!!
    Ed

Here's a link to the photo....
    http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007_TB-CustomFigures-01.jpg

Thats a great piece of work - I think Sideshow could take tips from you :D

I'm constantly amazed by the lengths people go to -{
    YNWA 97
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    That looks like a fantastic Connery- can't wait to see him painted.