WGA Strike Threatens #22

2»

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    I certainly hope it was 99.999% done. As a screenwriter, Mr. Wilson is a very capable producer.
    He wrote OP. No wonder you don't like him. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    CTrent49 wrote:
    I certainly hope it was 99.999% done. As a screenwriter, Mr. Wilson is a very capable producer.

And a pretty good writer. I thought that LTK was a pretty good revenge story. It's only drawback was that it didn't seem like a spy movie, let alone a Bond movie.

I'm glad you enjoyed his work...of course, he borrowed liberally from Kurosawa's Yojimbo (and, by extension, Leone's Fistful of Dollars) with the Act 2 'pitting one camp against another' plot element...

I enjoyed LTK, but I'd never assert Wilson's writing is on the same par with anyone else who's written Bond for Eon. IMO, he's a producer. If I get a flat tire, and I change it, that doesn't make me a mechanic...

And if he's responsible for LTK's 'wheelie-poppin' big rig, I rest my case :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    edited November 2007

According to Sally Hibbin's The Making Of LTK, John Glen would be the man with that idea (if my aging memory serves).
    Barbel wrote:

According to Sally Hibbin's The Making Of LTK, John Glen would be the man with that idea.

So MW gets a pass for that ;) John Glen's list of offences is already quite long, IMO, so one more makes little difference :#

Tonight at midnight (local Los Angeles time) is the deadline for the strike. A guy on cable news says he fully expects it to happen, since they've not struck for 20 years...The consensus opinion seems to be that unions need to strike from time to time, to maintain their power, and the WGA would seem to be due to flex its muscles.

As I said, I'm all for fair compensation for intellectual property. I hope the writers get what's due to them...but I also hope it happens quickly. With any luck, the agreement reached on behalf of the writers will pave the way for reconciliation with the DGA and SAG, whose strike next summer could cripple post-prod on #22...
  • QwertyQwerty New York, USAPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Some new comments from Haggis on the script: http://commanderbond.net/article/4637

'They haven't gotten the polish finished yet...'
    ~ Nobody Knows Me Like You Know Me ~
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    Edit: Blast, Qwerty was just a little bit quicker than I. :v

Haggis may have to put the pencil down for now, but that doesn't stop him from brainstorming.

I wasn't as impressed with his treatment for CR as some members here. But he could always surprise me. :)
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    David Thomson has offered an interesting viewpoint on the strike, claiming the WGA is only interested in making more money for its priviledged members. Thomson also claims that acheiving ownership of copyright should be the real aim of the organisation.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/11/sick_of_poor_films_blame_the_w.html

Interesting read.
    edited November 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    David Thomson has offered an interesting viewpoint on the strike, claiming the WGA is only interested in making more money for its priviledged members. Thomson also claims that acheiving ownership of copyright should be the real aim of the organisation.
    From a purely financial point of view, I agree with Thomson that screenwriters should maintain copyright of their scripts. However, in terms of quality, I think it's irrelevant. As one poster noted, 'there are not many great films from poor screenplays but likewise a great screenplay does not guarantee a great film.' I think it's unfair to blame the WGA for the low quality of films, assuming of course that one even thinks that films nowadays are generally of a low quality (and I don't necessarily believe that.) Filmmaking is a collaborative process, and IMO, the person most responsible is the director, not the writer.

Nonetheless, I very much hope that this strike gets resolved. I don't want any future film projects to be derailed.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Dave Thomson's article is simply another example of how the 'writer' is disdained in Hollywood. He mentions copyright, but in the film industry that would be impossible. Unless the film is going to be written, directed and produced (and possibly starring) the same person, a copyright would bring the whole process to a grinding halt. Dave Thomson knows that. He's simply trying to take the focus off what really is the main problem, primarily royalties on DVD and internet profits.
    CTrent49 wrote:
    ...Wilson's output has been a hell of a lot better to me than the likes of Roald Dahl (YOLT), Tom Mankiewicz and the writers of GF.

Yeah...we'll definitely continue to disagree about that.
    Qwerty wrote:
    Some new comments from Haggis on the script: http://commanderbond.net/article/4637

'They haven't gotten the polish finished yet...'

Am I the only one who finds this little quote from Haggis subtly ominous? :o
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    If the script is not completely polished I'd rather have Daniel Craig do some work on it than anyone else. I know he's not a writer but I think he understands the character very well and knows how to make a good movie.

Didn't Haggis turn in an earlier script that he thought was pretty good that was turned down by the producers? Would that script have been polished or just a first draft like this one? If polished that could also be a possibility to use, though I'd be weary of a script that was rejected by the producers (though Haggis apparently thought it was pretty good). I'd rather just have this strike resolved so we can get the script finished but who knows when that'll happen.
    edited November 2007
    I'm getting more and more concerned about #22's script :#

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5556

As a point of interest, here's a page from the website of the Writer's Guild of America (West):

http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2548

There are a hell of a lot of things not being written right now...and a polish on Bond #22 is one of them.
    I'm getting more and more concerned about #22's script :#

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5556

As a point of interest, here's a page from the website of the Writer's Guild of America (West):

http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2548

There are a hell of a lot of things not being written right now...and a polish on Bond #22 is one of them.

It does look like a postponement on Bond 22 will be inevitable. There's a lot of big names on that Not A`Word list and I can't imagine anybody wishing to cross that picket line.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I dunno if a postponement is the next step. We dont know what not finnished means. They could have all the characters, locations and action scenes mapped out, only waiting for the dialogue to be given a once over.

If Haggis really got paid about 5 million US he probably should have tried to get the job done before he went on holidays.
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    I keep herein references to the last strike. Does anyone know how long that one lasted. Hopefully not long.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
    edited November 2007
    taity wrote:
    I dunno if a postponement is the next step. We dont know what not finnished means.

If the script is not finished, then some more writing has to be done. And the WGA website Loeff provided a link to seems very clear that nobody will be doing any writing until the strike is over.

“You’ll still be working on the screenplay, right?”

“You can take a meeting, can’t you?”

“Just a few minor changes? A quick polish? No onewould know.”

We would.

We won’t weaken our own position, or let down our supporters, by doing any writing during a strike. We know that any writing, outlining, even meetings with executives could serve to prolong a strike.

So, just to be absolutely clear: we, the following screenwriters, will do no writing — until all writers get a fair and reasonable deal.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Pathetic. I mean, I understand that writers have needs, but I think getting paid 5 million dollars means you need to get the job DONE. Haggis did a great job with CR and all, but Sony shouldn't accept him going on strike after paying him 5 million dollars to do a script.

Note: 5000 posts!
    edited November 2007
    taity wrote:
    I dunno if a postponement is the next step. We dont know what not finnished means. They could have all the characters, locations and action scenes mapped out, only waiting for the dialogue to be given a once over.

If Haggis really got paid about 5 million US he probably should have tried to get the job done before he went on holidays.

They might be able to film a few 2nd unit type scenes, and things of that nature, but it would certainly be costly to start shooting dialogue that may need to be re-shot. The schedule would be tight, and doesn't give a lot of opportunities for 'do-overs'.

If Wilson decides to polish the script himself, it may take some time before they feel secure enough to flesh out a full shooting schedule.

And in defense of Haggis, I'm sure he thinks standing on a picket line is no 'holiday.'
    edited November 2007
    Pathetic. I mean, I understand that writers have needs, but I think getting paid 5 million dollars means you need to get the job DONE. Haggis did a great job with CR and all, but Sony shouldn't accept him going on strike after paying him 5 million dollars to do a script.
    This is going to really pain me, but I am going to do the unthinkable and defend Haggis. :# That's right Loeff, I (who rarely has a good word to say about him) am going to defend Paul Haggis. :o

Night, I don't think it is really about Haggis. I would imagine that he's not going on strike because he doesn't think he gets paid enough money, but rather because many of his fellow writers are being ripped off. As a successful and respected writer, Haggis would probably be in a position where he might not need to strike, but there are plenty of writers who are not in his position, and I think it's great that he's lending them his support. {[]
    taity wrote:
    We dont know what not finnished means.

It may mean there's nor way to be sure, even if they sweden the pot, when the work will be dane...;%
    edited November 2007
    Barbel wrote:
    It may mean there's nor way to be sure, even if they sweden the pot, when the work will be dane...;%

:)) :)) :))
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Maybe the 5 mill was on the condition he got it done. As for calling going to the picket line a holiday - there are some similarities, such as knowing in advance when you will stop work - something that differs from suddenly getting ill.

Whilst I so support the writer's right to strike, I still feel that if they're getting paid 5 million to do there job that they would do it. Hopefully its only a small polish that's needed.

It also makes me wonder what was wrong with the previous script that they tossed out the door.
    Barbel wrote:
    taity wrote:
    We dont know what not finnished means.

I bow to the power of the Barbel B-)

Very good. Very, very good :))
    {[] Cheers, darenhat and Loeff, from here at badpunsdotcom :D.
    edited November 2007
    This is good news---if it can be believed ;) According to MI6, Reuters is reporting that Columbia Pictures (who's distributing #22) says that the latest Bond film will not be affected by the WGA strike:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5575

Whether this means the script is actually good to go---or that MGW has promised to do the polishing :# ---remains to be seen.

They're still not mentioning the looming DGA strike next July; I guess they figure 'One Crisis At A Time' :(|)
    Haggis says he was polishing the #22 Second Draft when the strike started:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5597

"And I don't want that movie shooting where it says 'something happens here'...I'm sure they can figure it out for themselves."

:o

He does say nice things about the Eon people, so it's nice to know the strike hasn't poisoned their relationship.
    Wish I could get 5 mill for writing a script with bits in it like, 'something happens.' :))
    edited January 2008
    It's being reported that the Director's Guild of America (DGA) has reached a tentative agreement with the studios, involving compensation for internet downloads of films, etc., which might serve as a template for agreements with SAG and the WGA...

I'm not sure whether or not this will hasten an end to the writers' strike, but---selfishly, I'll admit---I'm thrilled that this decreases the chances for post-production on #22 to be screwed up during the late summer and early autumn... :)