why does Bond always......

walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
...have to be captured? so the bad guys can spill their entire scheme out to him?

Comments

• PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    yea...that's probably it. He's got to be captured so the people in the audience who haven't been following along can know what's going on. Plus, it makes people feel a bit sorry for him, and thus makes them cheer harder for him in his attempt to escape. that's just my opinion though.

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    ...have to be captured? so the bad guys can spill their entire scheme out to him?

It's all part of Bond's plan, isn't it? The villian's only think they managed to capture Bond. But it's just a clever 00 ploy. ;)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,889Chief of Staff
    Because it would be a very boring film if Bond didn't come close to losing his freedom and his life; and we might not get a sense of how truly evil are the villains if they don't have some power over Bond.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,339MI6 Agent
    It doesn't happen in every film does it? Thunderball... FRWL - but then Grant has him 'captured' really and does spill the beans. TSWLM. OK, yeah, he gets captured in most of them.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,995Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    My sons and I always have a good laugh at the moment---in nearly every Bond movie---where 007 is knocked unconscious...or has a 'mickey' slipped into his drink, etc...it pretty much always directly precedes his inevitable capture... B-)

I always say: "Oh, no! Bond's been knocked out!" To which Loeff Jr always replies: "Dad! You always say that!" :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    It was a big part of the novels, it's a big part of the films, it's a big part of who Bond is. He makes mistakes, he gets captured, and he weasels his way out of it. It adds drama to the story and connects to our lives. We are always getting ourselves into sticky situations in life, and being able to watch a hero (James Bond in this case) get out of the stickiest of situations (being trapped on Dr. No's island, in a train car with the villian weilding a gun and Bond without a weapon, trapped in a mountain top lair with impending doom awaiting the world, being ball-bludgeoned to death on a ship :'() gives us hope for our own life. Although it may seem that the bad guys are winning, there is always a way out and for good to win over evil. It is central to any heroic story (LOTR, Indiana Jones, Batman, Superman) there is always that point where you think the good guy might lose, but then he doesn't. It's gorgeous. It's the reason we love these movies.
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    It was a big part of the novels, it's a big part of the films, it's a big part of who Bond is. He makes mistakes, he gets captured, and he weasels his way out of it. It adds drama to the story and connects to our lives. We are always getting ourselves into sticky situations in life, and being able to watch a hero (James Bond in this case) get out of the stickiest of situations (being trapped on Dr. No's island, in a train car with the villian weilding a gun and Bond without a weapon, trapped in a mountain top lair with impending doom awaiting the world, being ball-bludgeoned to death on a ship :'() gives us hope for our own life. Although it may seem that the bad guys are winning, there is always a way out and for good to win over evil. It is central to any heroic story (LOTR, Indiana Jones, Batman, Superman) there is always that point where you think the good guy might lose, but then he doesn't. It's gorgeous. It's the reason we love these movies.
    {[] I completely agree. If Bond is invincible, the films ceease to be as entertaining. However, it can work in reverse. If Bond is too vulnerable (e.g. DAD) I also think it ceases to be enjoyable.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    Neccessary plot device really. Gives the chance for some exposition and some tension, will he escape in time??? or anticipation, the latest gadget about to be used.

Roger Moore hit it on the head really, in so much as all Bonds are the same in 'basic' plot, it's the details that are different and that make it interesting (or not cough-Die Another Day-cough)

LOO7K OUT