The Birth of Evil: Discussion and Comments

frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
edited October 2007 in James Bond Literature
I am very happy and excited to be contributing to AJB's fine fan-fiction section once again. To be honest, my life has become so crazy, and my schedule so hectic, these days that I, at one point, thought that my fan-fic-writing days were behind me. However, the news about the upcoming centenary Bond novel by Sebastian Faulks have energised me enough that I decided to read some of the Fleming books that I haven't read for a while again, so that I can compare the Master's works to that of the latest continuation author, when the latter will come out next year. The first Fleming book I happened to pick up was the For Your Eyes Only collection of short stories, and revisiting them was a real joy. In fact, I was so inspired by one of these gems that I decided to write a short story of my own as a kind of homage to the original work by the Master. I hope you will have as much fun reading my story as I'm having writing it.

As always, I really welcome any comment and/or criticism that you may have regarding what I've written. Please feel free to post these feedbacks in this thread. Thanks!

Comments

• DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Are these each supposed to be separate stories then? The way how the first one went made it seem like the second was related to the first in terms of events
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    This is excellent work, frostbitten!Your atmospheric "Flemingesque" introduction certainly sets the proper tone and immediately drew me into the story itself.I'm definitely curious to see what happens next.Well done.:)
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Thank you very much, WG. I'm glad you like the introduction, and I'll try not to let you (and other readers) down in the future installments of TBOE.

I think I have a good idea to work with (thanks to Fleming), and hopefully I won't let it go to waste. :)
    DAWUSS wrote:
    Are these each supposed to be separate stories then? The way how the first one went made it seem like the second was related to the first in terms of events

No, there will be only one story, which will be my homage to one of the short stories in the FYEO collection. I just happened to choose the "story within a story" approach (which can lead to a somewhat jarring change of pace, I suppose, but I'm working on improving that aspect of my writing).
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    A thoroughly engaging start my friend -i'm looking forward to seeing this one develop. As ever your prose is of a high standard and does indeed have Fleminguesque moments in it. Keep it up! :)
  • HitchHitch UKPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    Good work, frostbitten. BoE has that Fleming vibe. :007)
    Thank you, Sc1 and Hitch!

To hear that one's work has a Fleming vibe to it is probably the best compliment a fan-fic writer can hope to receive.

Rest assured that I'm hard at work on the next installment, and I'll try, to the best of my ability, to keep this vibe going for the rest of the story. :)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    Frsotbitten - nice work! I really enjoyed the beginning of this tale. It certainly does have a distinct flavour of Fleming about it. Also - the story within a story approach reminds me a little of Mr Fleming's own 'Quantum of Solace'.

It seems to have plenty of potential. I look forward to seeing where you take it from here.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Also - the story within a story approach reminds me a little of Mr Fleming's own 'Quantum of Solace'.

Nice catch, Golrush007!
    QoS is indeed my source of inspiration. It's my favourite among the FYEO short stories.
    My story will be a variation on the theme established by Fleming.
    The last entry for TBOE is now in.
    The writing process has not gone as smoothly as I'd expected, but finally the baby is here ;) .
    I hope that the final product still provides an enjoyable read. As usual, all feedbacks (positive or otherwise) are welcome and appreciated.