PPK vs. P99

I just recently got my LTC and will be buying my first pistol. As a Bond fan, I've narrowed it down to either the PPK or the P99. I was wondering if anyone on the board has these pistols and could offer any advice. I know the PPK is easier to conceal and a few hundred dollars cheaper, while the P99 is more powerfull and can hold more ammo. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

Comments

• SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    The PPK is somewhat notorious for being a jam-o-matic and the slide can bite the webbing on the fleshy park of your hand (and break the skin) under recoil. I'd recommend a Makarov or Bersa Thunder .380 before a PPK, both of which are similar in size, shape and function than the PPK. Plus with the Makarov, you have the option of getting it chambered in 9mm Mak - 380 acp is 9x17mm, 9mm Mak is 9x18, and 9mm Parabellum is 9x19mm. So the Mak's stopping power is a little better than .380 acp but a little less than 9mm.

I can't say much about the p99 except for that it is a fine looking handgun. Whether you can conceal it well depends on your size and dimensions. It will never 'disappear' into your clothing as well as the smaller blowback pistols, however.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    In this day and age I'd go for the P99 or P99compact. If you want to wait a few weeks, the new 9mm PPS will be out and it is a fine pistol. Do a search on AJB and you will come up with loads of advice and reviews.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    I've fired several hundred rounds through my PPK, and the only jams I've ever experienced have been with 'reload' ammunition purchased at the target range, and with use over time, even 'reload' jams have become much less frequent. I've never had a jam with factory loads. A friend of mine told me that the PPK's action can tend to be 'stiff' until it's broken in, and this has been my experience.

Fortunately, I've never experienced the problem of the slide biting my hand on recoil---if you hold the weapon properly, keeping the base of your thumb underneath the curved part of the frame beneath the hammer, I think you'll be just fine.

For my money, the PPK is the way to go. I buy hollowpoint silvertips to maximize the impact of the .380 ammo. Mind you, I don't use it in a professional capacity; I'm merely a weekend enthusiast with an eye toward home defense, so take my amateur advice for what it's worth ;)

I'm sure there are better, more modern pieces out there...but I'm a sentimentalist :)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    There is no reliability issue with German made Walther PPK's, they are perfect. The S&W and Interarms versions are another matter though.
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the advice. I'll need to think about this.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited October 2007
    Asp9mm wrote:
    There is no reliability issue with German made Walther PPK's, they are perfect. The S&W and Interarms versions are another matter though.

Mine is an Interarms-made PPK...which probably explains the jamming with reloads :# Like I said, though, it's gotten much better with age, and with factory loads I've experienced no performance issues at all.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • AufingerFanAufingerFan USAPosts: 51MI6 Agent
    The true Walther PPK of Fleming's novel is a little harder to find in the US. The 7.65 mm version was banned from further importation by the 1968 Gun Control Act; hence, a few modifications and we have the 9 mm Walther PPK/s, which was legal for import and manufacture. I have the 7.65 mm PPK and have never had any jamming issues with it. I also have the P99 and have enjoyed shooting it. I find that I am more accurate with, and enjoy shooting more, the PPK than the P99. I agree that for home defense, the 9 mm P99 is probably the better weapon, provided that you work on your accuracy more than I have been able to! But if you have the time and patience to seek out the 7.65 version of the PPK, there is a certain pleasure in knowing that you have the precise weapon Fleming gave James Bond.
    Another firearm in the same class that I'll throw at you to confuse you even more is the CZ-83. High capacity .380 in a small, package and in my opinion is one of the easiest firearms to shoot well that have ever been made - and it's dead reliable.

You can't really go wrong with any of the CZ line, for that matter. I'd recommend the CZ P-01 Compact or PCR before the p99.

In my opinion CZs rank up there with SigArms, HK, etc - and they're about half the price.

I guess the question is - do you want a James Bond gun, or the best firearm you can get for your budget?
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    I have an original pre war PPK and it's accuracy,reliability and handling make up for any shortcomings of the 7.65mm(32 cal)cartridge.Get the P99 for now but keep an eye out for used/vintage PPK's,still available post ban.
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    I have an original pre war PPK and it's accuracy,reliability and handling make up for any shortcomings of the 7.65mm(32 cal)cartridge.Get the P99 for now but keep an eye out for used/vintage PPK's,still available post ban.
    That seems to be the best idea. Thank you and everyone else for their imput. I knew you guys would come through. -{
    Just take Fleming's statement that the .32 "has a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window" with a grain of salt :)
    Just take Fleming's statement that the .32 "has a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window" with a grain of salt :)

Agreed, it should be "has a delivery like a pebble through a paper screen". Although the type of ammo you use will greatly improve the PPK's performance.
  • Double-oh nineDouble-oh nine USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Can't go wrong with an ASP either.Similarily,the S&W 469 could save you a chunk of change.Only $329 used and nearly identical in design to the ASP,save for the front sight.They carry nearly as well as a PPK and provide plenty of 9mm firepower.
    7289 wrote:
    New Avatar ASP????

Oh yeah, got fed up of the pixilated stretched old one {[]