1.85 to 2.35 and back again

BarryFanBarryFan U.S.Posts: 13MI6 Agent
The first 3 films were shot in the flat(non-anamorphic)aspect ratio of 1.75. I've always wondered why, after switching to anamorphic 2.35 Panavision with Thunderball and shooting that way through DAF, they went back to flat 1.85 for LALD and TMWTGG; then back to anamorphic Panavision angain for TSWLM to the present. I even remember attending a Bond 25th Anniversary event at MOMA in NY (summer 1977) that had Maurice Binder showing all his main title sequences and discussing them. And they had to change the projector lens for LALD and TMWTGG. He even said he didn't know why the different aspect ratios existed; I've read a LOT of Bond books and never once come across this issue explained. Anyone else?

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,339MI6 Agent
    Might it be that Guy Hamilton was happier with that ratio? Watching DAF, it seems the widescreen is largely wasted on him and I prefer watching it in pan and scan on the telly in fact. His classic GF is of course in 1.75.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    The reasons for changing are purely financial.
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Thunderball was shot in 2.35 because it was a requirement from producer Kevin McClory for underwater scenes.

The return to 1.66 wasn't the only cost cutting done for Live and Let Die since the wonderful Technicolor Laboratories were dropped for the cheap Rank Film Labs, resulting in the weirdest colour ever.

1.75 and 1.85 were only cropped versions used for US theatres and the original DVD releases.
  • BarryFanBarryFan U.S.Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    That's true about McClory- read that several places.
    Didn't know about the move away from Technicolor, though. It's interesting- wasn't Saltzman buying Tech right about then?
    I guess the cost cutting explanation makes the most sense. The big budget increase for TSWLM, or perhaps Lewis Gilbert (or the solo Broccoli), justified using it again then. And they've stuck with it since.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    As the Cat pointed out, purely financial.

Film is actually pretty expensive stuff - and the type of film used to shoot the first 3 movies reflect the cheap nature of the production. After GF was so huge, it was decided to move to the bigger screen as they no longer were playing around with itty bitty budgets.

When Sir Roger took over - there was still a nasty feeling that he'd do another Lazenby. As a result the movie took on a cheaper feel than that of the previous outings. Hence why theyve gone to downtown New York or British governed Jamaica. No where near as exotic as the Swiss Alps or Japan. And no amazing locales like a hollowed out Volcano or isolated Ski resort.

The use of the different film aspect was merely another cost cutting measure in hopes of minimising a potential loss with a new Bond. With the scope of TSWLM increasing, once again we went back to the bigger ratio - which I believe is where they stayed.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Fascinating stuff guys. This is why I love this site, plenty of knowledgable blokes with plenty of time to share their tidbits of genius. Cheers. {[]
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • BarryFanBarryFan U.S.Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    As the Cat pointed out, purely financial.

Film is actually pretty expensive stuff - and the type of film used to shoot the first 3 movies reflect the cheap nature of the production.

Actually it's the same film stock; rather it's the cameras and lenses that are different and more expensive, but I take your point.

After GF was so huge, it was decided to move to the bigger screen as they no longer were playing around with itty bitty budgets.

I think the move to anamoprhic widescreen lies more with McClory's involvement with Thunderball than GF's success. He was pushing for it when T'ball was being developed as the first Bond film, apart from Eon, in the late 50's.

When Sir Roger took over - there was still a nasty feeling that he'd do another Lazenby.

As a result the movie took on a cheaper feel than that of the previous outings. Hence why theyve gone to downtown New York

Not downtown but rather Harlem, which comes from the novel. And I know some viewers complain about how bad NYC looked in the LALD but everyone should remember that at that time the city was on the edge of bankrupcy and by and large DID look that bad!

or British governed Jamaica. No where near as exotic as the Swiss Alps or Japan. And no amazing locales like a hollowed out Volcano or isolated Ski resort.

The use of the different film aspect was merely another cost cutting measure in hopes of minimising a potential loss with a new Bond. With the scope of TSWLM increasing, once again we went back to the bigger ratio - which I believe is where they stayed.

Agreed. Many thanks.