Craig Less Muscular This Time?

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
Good news for those who thought (Formerly) Poor DannyTM was just too muscular in his debut; apparently Craig has told GQ magazine that he won't 'bulk up' as much this time round...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5517

His mock conversation with Barbara Broccoli is pretty funny...ultimately, I predict she'll win that argument :))
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    If I were Craig, I'd invite her to take hers off first. In fact, even if I wasn't Craig ... :D
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I bought the GQ mag this interview comes from. It's worth a look. Craig comes across very well.
    John Drake wrote:
    I bought the GQ mag this interview comes from. It's worth a look. Craig comes across very well.

He does seem to be more relaxed in interviews, which I suppose it to be expected. It's not every day that an actor is plucked out of relative obscurity to become an international star overnight. It has to be a little disorienting, which I think explains a lot of the attitude he might have displayed in the past
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    Isn't there a problem if Craig is not as bulked in Bond 22 as he was in CR if Bond 22 starts 5 minutes after CR Ended? I think Barbra Broccoli will win this argument and Craig will be just as muscular as last time.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Solaris wrote:
    Isn't there a problem if Craig is not as bulked in Bond 22 as he was in CR if Bond 22 starts 5 minutes after CR Ended? I think Barbra Broccoli will win this argument and Craig will be just as muscular as last time.

Well, he did do a lot of running near the end there, maybe he dropped a few pounds...:))
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    Solaris wrote:
    Isn't there a problem if Craig is not as bulked in Bond 22 as he was in CR if Bond 22 starts 5 minutes after CR Ended?

Well, he'll still be in that blue suit, so it probably won't be all that apparent... :)

Even if Craig is slightly less 'buff' this time round, I'm sure it will only be a matter of degree, and not necessarily all that obvious. He'll still be able to show his torso without shame.

Personally, I had no problem with a more muscular Bond, as it suited his revamped 'special ops' background, and wasn't so excessive that I found it a distraction. Better to err on the side of being too fit, IMO, than to be unfilmable without a shirt on...
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    Where is that skinny caricature version of Craig that Rogue drew when you need it? :))

Aha! I found it! :D

Less buff would definitely be an improvement. Now if only he would dye his hair and take Charm and Sophistication 101. :v
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Solaris wrote:
    Isn't there a problem if Craig is not as bulked in Bond 22 as he was in CR if Bond 22 starts 5 minutes after CR Ended?

Well, he'll still be in that blue suit, so it probably won't be all that apparent... :)

Even if Craig is slightly less 'buff' this time round, I'm sure it will only be a matter of degree, and not necessarily all that obvious. He'll still be able to show his torso without shame.

Personally, I had no problem with a more muscular Bond, as it suited his revamped 'special ops' background, and wasn't so excessive that I found it a distraction. Better to err on the side of being too fit, IMO, than to be unfilmable without a shirt on...

Me neither. Moreover, I think Craig is just learning to banter a bit with the press. After all -- what are we going to do? run CR and Bond 22 side by side, comparing the ripples of his abs? I think he's just making conversation, which is all he's really expected to do, media-wise. Getting ink, that's what it's all about. Kind of like the "more jokes" remark he made earlier (I'll admit I was disturbed by that one, which makes it all the more likely I will rush to the theater to see what he meant -- if he meant it at all). However it all turns out, Craig's a pro, and I'm sure he'll make sure he looks as good as he needs to be to play Bond.
  • redgrant63redgrant63 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    there is no reason why DC shouldnt be as fit in bond 22 as he was in CR. as said before, the movie starts right after CR... plus the fact the craig physicality was part of the winning package that made the success of CR.
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    I think that this is a step in the right direction. After all, when I read the novels, I didn't get the impression that Fleming intended Bond to be a muscle-bound superman.
    Of course, physical fitness is still a requirement, so Craig should not stop exercising. However, his goal should be the physique of a typical safety (in American football) rather than that of a linebacker.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I liked seeing a muscular Bond. I liked seeing a Bond who looked like he could kill an enemy with his barehands. Moore and Brosnan never looked like that. Connery and Dalton looked like they would, but werent strong enough.
    It was a bracing change, IMRO. Perhaps Craigger no longer feels the need to compensate for what used to be seen as deficiencies.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I personally think he was a little bit too big. Size isn't always a sign of strength and hand to hand combat is more in tecnique than in actual strength. Saying this it's not a massive issue, because when clothed he doesn't look that big.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Where is that skinny caricature version of Craig that Rogue drew when you need it? :))

Aha! I found it! :D

Less buff would definitely be an improvement. Now if only he would dye his hair and take Charm and Sophistication 101. :v
    :)) Great find. :D Tee Hee, I completely agree with you as usual. {[]

Regarding Craig's muscular physique, I didn't think that his physique was entirely appropiate but nor was it a major complaint for me. There were plenty of other things which annoyed me about him more. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    I liked seeing a muscular Bond. I liked seeing a Bond who looked like he could kill an enemy with his barehands. Moore and Brosnan never looked like that. Connery and Dalton looked like they would, but werent strong enough.
    I do agree that Craig looked like he was capable of killing an enemy with his bare hands, but this isn't particularly important to me. As long as Bond convinces me in the actual fighting (which all the Bonds did) it doesn't really matter to me how strong he looks. Especially since in many ways Bond probably should be like a velvet glove; not overly threatening in appearences, but especially threatening when it comes to the crunch.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,721MI6 Agent
    Can't say I mind much- as long as he's built up enough to entertain the ladies (so I think a couple of shirt-off moments are fairly inescapable after the beach scene!) and to look vaguely capable of the things he's doing, it doesn't really mean much to me.
  • SB_DiamondSB_Diamond North Miami Beach, FLPosts: 126MI6 Agent
    I think that everyone needs to get over how muscular DC looked in CR. As a woman it was refreshing to see a buff Bond, I think it make the fight scenes more believable and adds to his sex appeal. I think it also adds to the former Naval Commander image. Most military men are pretty buff. So to a bulky Bond, I say why the hell not, I can appreciate how they are catering more to the female audience and bringing some serious sexy back!:p
    *~Orbis Non Sufficit~*
  • KittlemeierKittlemeier U.S.Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Craig looked like most Air Force Pararescue guys I know. Very fit and not overly muscular by any means. I really don't get the whole bodybuilder arguments. I hope they keep that look.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    If there are no shirt off scenes, I, for one, will be enraged :D

here's hoping it won't be toned down TOO much if EON goes that way

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • JonesJones Posts: 90MI6 Agent
    Somone mentioned that hte film would be taking place five minutes post CR....well, he may pull a Dengler and lose some more weight through the duration of the film.
    Craig has since explained this issue a bit: Rather than bulking up quickly, as he did for CR in order to make a 'statement,' he's taking a more aerobic approach this time round---boxing, running, etc.---since he blames a few of the minor injuries he incurred during CR to a lack of preparation in this area.

I'm sure he'll still be quite fit (able to take his shirt off without the audience cringing, etc.); he's just said he'll not be as 'no neck' for #22 :))
  • Crown 7Crown 7 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Craig looked like most Air Force Pararescue guys I know. Very fit and not overly muscular by any means. I really don't get the whole bodybuilder arguments. I hope they keep that look.
    Or looked like an SBS guy.
    I prefere like that :
    http://www.circumstitions.com/Images/Famous/non-us/craig.jpg