The Volcano Lair...

Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
And I also have few questions regarding that volcano lair and the whole ridiculousness of You Only Live Twice:

1. How did SPECTRE hollow out a volcano crater without alerting the outside world?

2. What was the point of starting WWIII? I know Blofeld was getting money from his Chinese sponsors by goading the Soviets and Americans into fighting each other. But what use is money in a nuclear wasteland?

3. Where the hell did SPECTRE get all of those guards? How did they indoctrinate them into carrying out such a retarded plan that was going to kill millions/billions of people? And why were they wearing those funky jumpsuits (often mocked in Austin Powers)?

4. The floor of the volcano lair is a smallish space you could jog across in thirty seconds - why were the guards travelling around on a monorail system or going around in those golf buggy things?

5. The volcano lair is seemingly less than five miles away from that fishing village - would the villagers notice Bird 1 flying in and out of the local volcano?

6. The outer volcano crater had a SPECTRE defence grid with CCTV, machine gun turrets and mortars. You see those automated defences chew up Tanka's boys later on. Why wasn't it activated when Bond and Kissy first climbed down the crater wall earlier on?

7. The SPECTRE command centre was sealed off at the front end with steel shutters, narrow windows and had lots of guards. Then why could you enter it from behind through a small doorway past Blofeld's lightly defended quarters?

8. Why were the captured American and Soviet astronauts not executed on sight?
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    YOLT is the most far fetched Bond movie - dare I say it, its more over the top than Moonraker. But it looks pretty on screen.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    It's a film. Generally you can pick any film apart like that. Not too mention this is a Bond film so it's even more exaggerated. Try not to overanalyse everything and just enjoy.
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    I notice these things on all films, Moonraker is the most far fetched id say :p
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    All fair points, but then again...Blofeld is a genius villian. The fact that he can hollow out a volcano and indoctrinate so many people is evidence of that fact.

What bothers me is why would you a use a volcano as your base? It may very well be dormant, but it wasn't dead. It seems incredibly dangerous to me.

Success can do a lot of strange things to people. Blofeld starts out on a yacht with siamese fighting fish, makes a few good extortion deals, and next thing you know, he's graduated to volcano launching pads and piranhas, and it all falls apart. He's like the Britney Spears of evil!

Apparently, he got his head straight after the YOLT fiasco (I'm sure he lost a lot of $$$)and went back to sensible schemes, buying out the Piz Gloria restaraunt and using their kitchen to concoct biological weapons.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    He's like the Britney Spears of evil!

And she's ever so good.

Anyway, I really loved the liar in OHMSS. I found it much more impressive than any hollowed out volcano. And oil rigs are niether interesting or atteactive to see as a villians lair.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,271MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Apparently, he got his head straight after the YOLT fiasco (I'm sure he lost a lot of $$$)and went back to sensible schemes, buying out the Piz Gloria restaraunt and using their kitchen to concoct biological weapons.

Grt comment! I like your style!
    I love YOLT and like its far fetched Roger Moore companion-piece Moonraker, it is one hell of a lot of fun. Yeh, it doesnt make much sense by the end of it, but its filmed in 'scope, so you have to fill the screen with something! TSWLM repeated the same scenario to better effect overall i thought.